A tribute to my grandmother - don't ever give up!

FBbaby

ttc our Little Prince
Reaction score
For my 40th birthday (last November) my mom wrote a book detailing the story of my grand parents (her parents). I have just read it tonight and it made me cry so much...

My grandmother was born in 1905. She grew up in a upper middle class family and was expected to marry into a well off family. She wasn't interested, an artist at heart, but at 25, she had no choice. Her husband expected her to be a good housewife, looking after their home and giving him children, but she wasn't interested. She enjoyed the high class life, but 7 years later, she had enough of her husband affairs and demanded a divorce. At 32, she was single, and took on a job at the British National Museum. There she met a wonderful researcher and they fell madly in love. The problem: he was married and had 3 children. They started an affair, stangely with the approval of the man's wife who accepted her presence in his life (she actually invited me and my mum once and was extremely welcoming). Not sure whether this was more common then, but this went on for 8 years. Unfortunately, all went wrong when at 37, my grandmother got hit by the desire to become a mum. Somehow, she had never fallen pregnant by her lover until then, clearly showing that couples managed to stay protected without the pill before its introduction when they wanted to!! She asked him, begged him, saying she would expect nothing of him, but he absolutely refused. This built a wedge in their relationship and they parted shortly afterwards. This followed with the start of WW2, going back home to her dad and helping with the red cross. At 41 years old, in a country ravaged by war, childless, a divorced and love affair behind her, she must not have felt too good about life.

Then one day, she was introduced to my grandfather. He was a soldier, who had lived in France most of his life. She looked after him after he was hurt and he fell madly in love with my grandmother. He was 46 and had never married nor had children. They married a year later and moved to France. My granddad wasn't overly keen on becoming a dad at that age, but seeing how much it meant to my grandmother, he went ahead with it. She fell pregnant at 43, that is TWO years after they married (and so I assume started ttc right afterwards if not sooner). Unfortunately, she miscarried a few weeks later. She was devastated. Still they continued ttc, and a year later, at the grand age of 44, she was pregnant again. There were no tests at the time, the risk of miscarriage and genetic problems were high, but she gave birth at term to my mum only two days after her 45th birthday, a perfectly healthy baby.

My grandmother was an amazing woman, but reading her story made me realised how determined and strong she was. She wanted something desperately and never gave up on it. There were no fsh, ovulation kits, clomid and scans then, but it didn't stop her. She believed and never stopped.

I know how tough ttc is and how demoralising it is when AF showed, so I thought I would share this true story and hope it gives a bit of hope to some of you :hugs:

What a fabulous story. Thank you so much for sharing that, beautiful :thumbup:

x

Wow, what a strong a determined woman!! That is a great story, and thank you so much for sharing it with us!!

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

awwww what a wonderful story!

I found out recently that my grandmother (born 1898 I think) gave birth to my mum when she was in her 40's. Its amazing to think 70+ years ago people could give birth naturally at these ages. Dont ever give up hope!

What a lovely heart warming story. Thank you for sharing and giving us oldies hope! Amazing that years ago many babies were born to much older mothers and with no medical intervention. Too much information in this day and age, sometimes is our downfall.

Oh, thats amazing. Ive thoroughly enjoyed reading that so thanks for sharing!

Omi xxx

That was beautiful. Sometimes I keep trying to figure out when I should call it quits as I am starting to get worried about my age (42). If I really should be having the one more baby I feel is still on its way then I guess I'm not too old yet.

Thank you.

Thanks fbbaby for posting that:) just gave me a pick me up when I needed it xx

that's a lovely story, thanks for posting!! xx

thank you very much for your lovely comments. My only regret is that she is not here any longer for me to talk to her about it. I would have loved to know what went through her mind, whether doctors and others were supportive, whether she ever felt like giving up. OH and I have been ttc for almost two years, had a m/c first month trying and are now in a position of giving up. We've been through a lot of stress recently that has affected our relationship, and we need to focus on it as a priority. Still, my grandmother's story reminds me that nothing is impossible and there is always space for miracles!

Could be it was easier back then before we all started eating skimmed milk products? Because apparently they cause ovulatory problems. Just a thought but I have heard of people in the older generations having seemingly fewer difficulties conceiving in their forties. Or maybe because men had higher sperm counts per-1950s? Your granny was a determined lady.

What a wonderful story... I truly believe that determination and positive energy and thoughts (just knowing it WILL happen) will bring, in time, what you desire. Reading this just solidified that for me!!!

Best of luck to all you lovely ladies!!!!

Ditto comments above. I am ttc my second child and you have made me feel young and that there's not necessarily the mad rush I constantly feel there is, even though I'm only 2 pregnancy tests away from 43. Medical advances have brought us so many benefits but perhaps there's something to be said for the blissful ignorance enjoyed by previous generations with regard to the scary statistics with which we are bombarded. Women have been having babies in their 40s for generations, we should remind ourselves that we are no different and there's still time for us too, please God :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->