ABC news report and autism

BigZai

Reaction score
Just watched ABC news and they said that there may be a way to detect autism early.

They would take a baby and lift him/her up from laying down to sitting position and they found that the babies whose head lagged were 75% more likely to have autism.

Now I cant remember if my LO did that and I almost want to wake him from his nap to test him...

I think that sounds stupid. Only because babies develop at different rates, where as one baby may be able to do that at 6 months another may be able to do that at 4 months, or not until 7 or 8 months. That doesn't mean that they have autism or mental ******ation or anything else. Just that they are developing their mussels at different rates then other babies and perhaps did not get enough tummy time to strengthen those mussels.

I saw it and to some extent it made sense to me. It really isn't about neck muscles; it's about a baby's level of engagement with another person. My older son has Asperger's and he was like that as a baby. He was more concerned with starting at the ceiling or lights than focusing on the person. If you had him already engaged with you he would look but if not his head lagged as well. Later he would rather spin things than interact with someone,
and line up toys in rows rather than play with them. He can still be hard to reach but we are very lucky that his case is mild.

Our 6 month old has already concerned me and we are of course monitoring his progress closely for any similar signs of autism/Asperger's.

I'm curious as to why you post topics about Autism then bugger off and don't go back to them. :confused:

I think that sounds stupid. Only because babies develop at different rates, where as one baby may be able to do that at 6 months another may be able to do that at 4 months, or not until 7 or 8 months. That doesn't mean that they have autism or mental ******ation or anything else. Just that they are developing their mussels at different rates then other babies and perhaps did not get enough tummy time to strengthen those mussels.

I agree with this, one of my LO's could do that at 2 months, the other still 'lagged' at 6+ months, couldn't even hold her head until 9 months, neither has autism, just their muscles grew at different rates along with alot of other things. Every child id different.

I agree with this, one of my LO's could do that at 2 months, the other still 'lagged' at 6+ months, couldn't even hold her head until 9 months, neither has autism, just their muscles grew at different rates along with alot of other things. Every child id different.

Yep. Evelyn's head already follows and dosn't lag unless she is sleepy or just woke up from her nap, any other time she holds her head up fine. when pulled from a laying down to siting position. She is only 3 months old...

Hmmm...my daughter always reached all her milestones on time, or early, except speech and social skills (she has autism). I clearly remember all tests, such as those, and they were all normal. She even lifted her head the day she was born! I just don't get how it would be beneficial to know that anyways!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->