Abit of advice... 35/36 weeks preemie

Kerrie-x

Reaction score
Hey ladies, i posted a few weeks back about having a preterm baby due to a terminal illness i have.. I went into preterm labour last week at just 32 weeks & 5 days which lasted 4 days, i was given a growth scan at 32 + 6 and she was estimated at 4lb 13oz :cloud9:, also was given steriod injections but they managed to stop her coming with lots of medication... I'm now being induced in the next 2 weeks (36 weeks at the latest), i get my date tomorrow. I'm guessing my baby is estimated at a really good weight and will be over 5lb... I know all babies are different, but how long (min/max) will she need special care, if any?? I just want to hear other mum's experiences with their 35/36 week preemie xxxx

Findlay was born at 35 weeks and was in hospital for just over 2 weeks. A family friend had a preemie at 33 weeks who never even went to special care so every baby is different.

I hope your LO is one of those who needs no time in SCBU or just a day or two :hugs:

I'm praying they let me go to 36 weeks, then she will most probably reach the 6lb mark and have a much better chance of not needing special care, what did your LO weigh at 35 weeks xxx

There is another post similar to this.

We couldnt tell you how long roughly it would be because all babies are different.

My girls were in NNU for 4 weeks exactly born at 29 weeks, My friends boy was 37 weeks and was in for 18 days, My other friend had her baby at 35 weeks and he didnt need any special care.
It all depends on the baby! I met mothers in NNU whos babies were born very young and needed lots of care and babies who were born at the same gestation as the twins that were in there for nearly 11 weeks!!

I think you need to have this baby and not have an 'estimated' time cos you could be severly dissapointed with the outcome which is a possibilty with a preemie!

I'm praying they let me go to 36 weeks, then she will most probably reach the 6lb mark and have a much better chance of not needing special care, what did your LO weigh at 35 weeks xxx

Weight doesnt really come into it. My friends LO was born at 37 weeks as said and was 6lb9oz!

There is another post similar to this.

We couldnt tell you how long roughly it would be because all babies are different.

My girls were in NNU for 4 weeks exactly born at 29 weeks, My friends boy was 37 weeks and was in for 18 days, My other friend had her baby at 35 weeks and he didnt need any special care.
It all depends on the baby! I met mothers in NNU whos babies were born very young and needed lots of care and babies who were born at the same gestation as the twins that were in there for nearly 11 weeks!!

I think you need to have this baby and not have an 'estimated' time cos you could be severly dissapointed with the outcome which is a possibilty with a preemie!

I did state that i know all babies are different, i just don't have a clue what to expect so was coming here for abit of advice. I KNOW i need to have this baby but at this moment in time, an 'estimated' time is all i have to go off

My post wasnt meant to be rude, I am just telling you that its better to not have any expectations! like you said all babies are different so there aint much point in asking really.
There are other girls on here that babies were born at 29 weeks and were in hospital for a longer period and some whos babies werent!

Yes i understand that... i'm just trying to get an insight on what to expect, and this is my only way of getting any sort of idea.. x

Well I can tell you NNU's can make you feel scared and terrified but all the staff are there to do their very best for your baby and they are also there to help you and she would be in the best place there. Hopefully she wont need to be in NNU for too long.

I have had 2 35 weekers, they were 6lb1 and 6lb10 so pretty big but both were in scbu for a week due to jaundice and hypoglycaemia for my son. Generally at 36 weeks hopefully baby shouldnt need to go into scbu, at 35 weeks they will want to check baby out but theres a good chance scbu wont be necessary. My daughter (35weeks) initially went straight to the ward with me, she went to scbu the following morning as she was bright orange:dohh:
If you do have to go to scbu try not to be too worried, I know its scary but they really take care of you:hugs:

the NICU my daughter was in didnt admit 36 weekers over 2kg who were otherwise healthy, breathing ok etc they had 35 weekers who also never had to be in SCBU, the vast majority of babies born at 35 weeks who were in SCBU whilst we were there were home within a week or so (just establishing feedings,jaundice etc) hope that helps xxxx

hey hun, glad to see Maddison is still hanging in there and not attempting another bid for freedom! My wee one was a tad earlier 33+4 and in SCBU for 17 days as the girls have said it varies greatly, not neccesarily dependent on gestation or weight but more on feeding concerns, jaundice and assistance with breathing which my lenghthen your stay.

Id imagine your very anxious and unsure what to expect and want to be ready for SCBU if she needs a little help, id also suggest you be prepared that your labour may need to end in a section. I personally felt that accepting that for us, it needed to happen, helped alleviate our anxiety even though we had a few hours between being told he was coming that day, but I can sympathise that after labouring for several long hours to then be rushed to theatre is very very scary. In which case you also need time to recover.

Let us know how you get on tomo, hopefully she can stay cooking for a while longer - good luck xx

My lil man was born at 36 weeks but was big 8lb11oz.

He needed no help at all. His breathing was fine but he wouldnt take breast. Something thats changing now :)

He was slightly jaundice after coming home on day 3 but it lasted 2 days and then went.

Hes absolutely fine now :)

When i went in for my section i asked the mw will he need special care ect and she said that honestly she didnt know. That some babies do and some dont. We were lucky i guess :) Hopefully you will be too :hugs:

My son was born at 34+6 and was 6lb 2oz luckily. He went into SCBU for one week due to hypoglycaemia and mild jaundice, didnt need to have phototherapy. he is now home and thriving. Just had him weighed and he is now 8lb 6 and 5 weeks on Sat. Good luck xx

Thanks ladies, just got my induction date for the 3rd March at 36 weeks, i have a last growth scan on thursday, Its all seeming so real now its finally booked in, im so glad im able to get to 36 weeks, as long as she doesn't have ideas to try coming early again xx

Well we all have our fingers crossed that she stays in until your induced. Every day in there is another day she will be stronger

Finlay was born at 36 weeks and they let me home the next day, i think we were lucky

I was born at 35 weeks and weighed 4lb 13oz was in for 5 days. I was treated for jaundice the first couple of days.

I probably would have been home earlier but this was in the olden days when mums stayed in hospital 5 days after giving birth :rofl:

I hope ur lo needs little/none assistance.

Good luck.

Xxx

My son was 34+4 =)
was in NICU for 1 week, special care another week...

But every baby is different ! He had jaundice and one or two apnea spells ( so they wanted to keep an eye on him ) he had phototherapy too...
but everything went good I think, of course you are emotional not bringing baby home, BUT take it easy, they do GREAT after ;)

( I do know a girl born at 35 in my neighborhood who only stayed for 3 days !)

It really depends hunn... Hopefully you can bring ur baby home with you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->