Abnormal thyroid function?

kmr1763

DH, DS1, DD1, DD2, DS2
Reaction score
Anyone here had abnormal thyroid function during pregnancy? What were your symptoms? I've just been tested today so no idea yet by curious to hear some real life symptoms.

I am hypothyroid when pregnant. I am on meds for it but symptoms are faster heart rate, feeling hot and clammy, tired etc. It is hard to pin point what is related to thyroid and what is just pregnancy! :haha:

Thanks for responding! It's weighing on me, haven't heard back yet on blood tests! I feel more fatigued than normal, I have bowel issues (fluctuates from diarrhea to constipation)... But the worrisome thing that I noticed that made them run the test was excessive hair loss! I don't have any issues with hot maybe feel colder than some but I've always been that way. I've lost ten pounds since I became pregnant so no weight gain. Ugh I'm just confused and worried.

There are two types of thyroid disease. Hyper and hypo. Hyper can cause faster heart rate, increased body heat, weight loss, etc. hypo is what u are describing. I am hypo also and have been for 15 yeArs. Common symptoms are weight gain, dry skin, excessive cold when others feel fine, dry/brittle/ripping nails, hair loss, fatigue/ exhaustion. It can be managed by medication.

I know it would be hypo... But aside from hair loss and fatigue (I feel almost as tired as first tri) I don't have any of the other symptoms.... Except maybe the cold but have been that way forever.. I've not gained weight this pregnancy, and have actually lost weight since I got pregnant. But I've been reading and it seems sometimes fatigue is the only symptom some moms get. I'm crossing my fingers for getting results tomorrow and finding out if this is what the issue is!

Thank you ladies for responding. I'll update the post, I hate when they aren't updated lol.

With my first pregnancy I lost a heap of weight too and did not get back to pre-pregnancy weight til something like 26 weeks. This time they knew to look for the thyroid issues so I started treatment much earlier. I too had extended morning sickness, it is not pleasant. Good luck!

Did the hypo cause the weight loss? Or did that just make it confusing for diagnostic purposes? I haven't had much morning sickness and what I have had has just been nausea. Still haven't hear back... I know my hospital is understaffed at the moment but I'm getting frustrated waiting.

Idk if this helps, but I'm normally hypo outside of preg. I'm getting a blood draw today for a check. But, I still get wild hot flashes and constantly feel clammy, which is abnormal when you're hypo. No symptoms early on other than nausea. I'm barely now starting to feel things aside from feeling like a boat and horrible nipple pain. I've had heart burn early on, but I've always had a touch if it before, just not as bad as now. Also smells bother me like crazy, mostly meats and perfumes. What exactly concerns you? Hypo can be bad in general, but it's controlled very well by synyhroid(don't use levithyroxine) if u can help it. Try not to stress too much over it.

I'm just stressed in general. My hospital is understaffed, I am STILL waiting to hear if my bloods were normal or not. Anyhow, I had nothing that screamed weird to me at all except the excessive hair loss. So... Lol but can't stop the anxiousness even if I tell myself no biggie. I don't lke not knowing.

I'm hyper, and it added to the weight loss because I was so nauseous it was hard to eat. I think I lost 5kg in the first 12 weeks and stayed steady at that weight for another 12 weeks. Just no food interested me, smells turned my stomach etc

Well she finally called and said everything was normal. I asked for the numbers and here they are: .89 t3 1.270 tsh. I guess she only tested those two? Figured I'd tell you ladies the numbers since you know more than me... And if it is not Thyroid, WHAT is causing this excessive hair loss??

Maybe it is just a pregnancy issue for you. Pregnancy overall just sucks for me and this is definitely my last baby. I have just had gall stones confirmed and awaiting a decision on what needs to be done next. I'm only half way but so over it all!

I've never had it before... This is my third. And it only recently started... I find it concerning. But I know I won't be getting in to see the doctor again until my 20 week appointment so I'll just have to try to let it go until then. And ugh sorry to hear that! I had gallstones after my first and it was awful!! Got it removed straight away thank goodness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->