Acetaminophen/tylenol risks..

emicakess

Reaction score
I keep reading that too much tylenol can have adverse effects on babies brain development and effect behavior later in life. Does anyone have any experience with this... i have SPD pretty bad, not like crutches bad but its really painful and I have a toddler to chase, we are housing my in laws (2 adults 3 kids) the last 5 months as well and i am the housekeeper, plus i nanny my 3 young nephews. My SPD started at just 8 weeks this time and has gotten worse and worse. For awhile i was taking tylenol every day and then i realized omg i need to cut back. So now i really try hard not to take it every day even though I'm in tons of pain every day. I usually take it every two days. Rarely do I ever have a good day with minimal pain but obviously when I do i wont take anything.
I am feeling so guilty, i try and drink tons of water to hopefully flush the tylenol a little, i dont know :(. I also do heat, cold ,rest, baths, bump support belt but those things dont help while i am having to be active.

I took Tylenol 3s my entire 3rd trimester for carpal tunnel and and SPD. (They were prescribed for the carpal tunnel because it would get so painful at night that I *literally* wanted to gnaw my wrists off... But in the end, I was taking them for the SPD just as much because it was excruciating.)

My daughter is great. She's 8 now and she's very bright. She is funny and has a very quick wit. She's great at math and generally learns fairly easily. She has no trouble relating to people, and shows no sign of aspergers or autism. She does seem to have an issue with ADHD, though we homeschool so we've never bothered with a diagnois. However, I'm fairly certain that's genetic rather than linked to any substances I used during pregnancy. I have ADHD too, as do many other family members.

Of course, ideally we would be able to make it through most of our pregnancies without taking any medications. But that just isn't realistic. I think if there is a true need (and SPD is freaking miserable), then the benefits outweigh the (thus far unproven) risks. Correlation does not equal causation. We are seeing an epidemic of autism at the moment and because there are so many kids being diagnosed, that increases the chances that common things we do or ingest may be linked by association... but that doesn't prove they are directly causing anything.

It's scary, but I think that you need to do what you can to make it until delivery. Unless someone is able to more firmly connect Tylenol with autism or other brain development issues, I say try not to stress about it. I read the same information before this pregnancy and I was a bit worried... but I'm only 13 weeks and I've already taken both Tylenol and Zyrtec to get by. I take them as infrequently as possible, but I'm trying not to feel guilty because I know I wouldn't be taking them if it wasn't necessary.

Thank you isme! I actually wasn't thinking anything of it, since i know they are safe.. but also got irresponsible and.was taking them every day. Well irresponsible in the way that i thought that was okay, and then i had the thought to look on the bottle, and it says do not take more than 7 days in a row. I felt terrible because i have no clue how long i was taking them every day. A few weeks? I brought that up to my OB but i dont remember him having much of a reaction so its probably no big deal. But because of that i feel super guilty wheb i take them, but my SPD is getting worse so theres not really a way to function like a normal a person and not take them.

Its just such a worrisome mystery when you are growing a little baby inside of you!

Thank you so much your response, that makes me feel a lot better

I think the reason the bottle says to only take it for seven days is because they want people to go get checked out at the doctor and get a diagnosis if their pain lasts longer than a week. Sorry to hear you're dealing with so much pain, but if your doctor isn't worried I would agree with Isme that the benefit outweighs the negligible risks.

Uni, that makes sense I didnt think of that! I wish they would write that on the bottle lol that does make sense! Thank you hun

Paracetamol (what we call it on my side of the world) can be pretty harsh on your liver. In regards to baby, I was told that taking it often and for a long time can increase the chances of having a wheezy baby when I was pregnant with my first.

I have SPD also so I know what a living hell that is. I take paracetamol once a day at night so I can sleep.

Here in the Uk, paracetamol is pretty much the only drug the doctors tell you to take like candy when pregnant. Got a cold? Take paracetamol. Got SPD? Take paracetamol. Got the inlaws coming over? Take some paracetamol!

I jest, but I wouldn't worry too much. Baby should be just fine. A lot better off than if you didn't take it and we're in constant pain! My SPD was so bad I had crutches (pointless) and a really high dose prescription of codeine. That however, wasn't 100% safe but I physically couldn't move otherwise. And with other young children to chase after and a house to keep, you've got to give somewhere.

I hope you all the best x

Thank you :) how are you doing now with your SPD? I am scared to get pregnant again after this, they say SPD gets worse with repccuring pregnancies and I cant function too well with it now. It seems to be getting worse ugh!

Sadly it did get worse with each pregnancy, for me anyway.

My first was bearable but still painful. No crutches.

My second was pretty awful and had physio and crutches.

My third was unbearable. Had physio, crutches, high does pain meds and constant trapped nerves on top of the SPD.

I'm dreading this time round. My physiotherapist actually advised against having a 4th and said I would probably end up in a wheelchair. Time will tell I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->