acid reflux and cereal

Cereal is not recommended at all in bottles hun, its a choking hazard. I would not risk it at all. Instead, you could try an anti reflux formula to start with. If this doesnt work, the doctor should be able to help with meds.

My doctor suggested the cereal. Do you know what formula would be a safer option though?

SMA staydown is what my friend used, with great results for her LO. xx

I am guessing you are in the US, its not practice here in the UK?
You could ask about Carobel in the milk(this thickens the milk up), or Infant Gaviscon?
xxxx

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I'm in the US. When the doctor gave my the acid reflux diagnosis he didn't really even give me any other option besides cereal in him milk. So I'm totally torn at what to do right now.

You could maybe post this on the baby club forum as full term babies can have reflux as well and you may get some response from mums in the US who have used cereal.

I hope you get some reassurance

Xx

I hope you don't mind me posting here (not a preemie mom) but your thread caught my eye as my LO also has reflux.

In Canada & the US, a lot of moms use Enfamil thickened.

Most doctors here "prescribe" rice cereal in the bottles to start with and are very resistant to actual reflux meds unless baby is diagnosed with failure to thrive. We attempted rice cereal at 13 weeks due to reflux and it made him horribly sick. My LO can projectile 4-5 feet away and scream in pain but they won't give him meds because he is gaining weight

Other options:
- Prop the bed to 30 degrees
- Hold LO upright when feeding
- Hold LO upright for 20 min after feeding
- Wear LO upright in a sling most of the day

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips aliss! I will try some of those. I don't know how to prop their bed up but I did it in the hospital in their little beds they had. I tried the sling but I felt like he was going to fall out or something. I will keep trying with it though. Thanks again.

We used phone books on the edge of the crib. You can also use a "Tucker Sling" which is what the hospital uses (there are home versions and there are hospital only versions, your LO probably had the NICU version)
https://www.tuckersling.com/

For baby slings, which one did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back