Adding extra water to milk to help with constipation?

tracy1982

Reaction score
Hi
Megan is on Aptamil Comfort (working great). But she is still constipated most of the time.

The doc has said to make up her bottles but add some more water to help her.

So i normally make up a 6oz bottle with 6 scoops of powder. I now do 6oz of water with 5 scoops of poweder. Is that what the doc means? I forgot to ask how much more there should be....baby brain again!!!
Thanks

I'm sorry but I can't believe your doctor told you to do that!

Please, please don't mess with the amounts love. It's really important that you follow the instructions on the tin because it can make LO poorly if you don't.

Instead try giving some cooled boiled water separately and add a little freshly squeezed orange juice if needed.

How old is your baby?

You should make the formula up as recommended. That's where they get their nutrition from. If she need a little extra water, give it to her separately.

OMG!!! Honestly had no idea..... Thank god we only started that today!!!!

Will give her water seperately....

Thanks for the advice. Megan is 9 weeks old today.....x

Hi Tracey have you tried massaging her tummy? My little boy seemed to struggle with pooping (although HV and doc are adamant newborns cannot be constipated). Mu mum got some mild olive oil, gave his tummy a gentle rub and out came poop. I do it now every time he struggles.

Also I know it's outrageous what your doc suggested but it does work! Again my mum. She gave extra water and it really helps. We didn't do it at EVERY feed. Just once if he struggles. He is fine now touch wood and we've not needed to dilute the milk. But again this is something my mum suggested and she's raised us 3 absolutely fine so I do trust her completely. Giving less milk powder is ok but more milk powder is severely bad for baby. Again this is my opinion.

Hi, in defence of the doctor, some will suggest increasing the formula ratio slightly to add calories to a baby that is underweight and others will suggest adding additional water for a baby that is constipated. The instructions on the tin are important for us to follow, but doctors have medical expertise and may advise us differently if they feel the baby needs a slightly adjusted combination. I am sure your baby will be fine.... but you could choose to give water separately if she is willing to take it.

I am pretty sure there is a little blurb on the side of a lot of tins that talks about making the formula up exactly (which is important for us all to follow), but I am sure I read another bit about following medical advice too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either way as long as you are not confused at all by the ratios and your baby's weight gains are good.

Sorry Tracey, was going to mention with the ratios, I would probably do 6 and 6 like you were doing and add an extra ounce of water to it, so your lo is still getting the same amount of nutrients, just a bit of extra water.

not sure about whether it is right or wrong to add extra water to feeds but i would do 6 scoops to 7oz water, keeping the same amount of powder, not less Jx

We've always added extra water to Abi's bottles when she's constipated as it is no different to giving her a drink of water straight after, it's very dangerous to add extra powder to less water but an occasional ounce of extra water is not gonna do any harm.

He told you to do that at 9 WEEKS!!!! Awful!

It messes up the sodium balance and is bad for their kidneys. It isnt until that start weaning and preferably over 6mths that their kidneys are mature enough to filter the sodium and potassium effectively.

My Lil will get a watery formula every now and then if she is struggling with poop but i only started this last month, and as she will drink little else but milk.

He told you to do that at 9 WEEKS!!!! Awful!

It messes up the sodium balance and is bad for their kidneys. It isnt until that start weaning and preferably over 6mths that their kidneys are mature enough to filter the sodium and potassium effectively.

My Lil will get a watery formula every now and then if she is struggling with poop but i only started this last month, and as she will drink little else but milk.

And tu123 is a nurse as well as a mummy so knows what she is talking about too. Most gp's don't have any particular expertise - especially with the health of babies. If you don't put enough powder in then they won't get all of the nutrients they need as well as upsetting the sodium balance xx

As long as LO is getting their recommended daily allowance of formula there is no reason why you cant add an extra oz of water to 1 bottle occasionally. I wouldnt do it every bottle and I would give LO their normal oz of formula and add the oz ontop of that rather than cutting down on formula if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->