Adults with Math & English skills of a child?

lindseymw

Mother of two boys
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20712312

Just seen this on the news & I'm actually quite shocked when looking at the figures.

What are your thoughts on them? Surprised by the %? Not surprised?

I am a bit shocked yer I suppose how it depends what they class as ability because even though I got A in both maths and English gcse I can't remember everything and could prob do with some rereshing especially when my kids start school lol

No I am not, surprised its not worse. I have seen Especially on Facebook some really shockingly bad use of English. I think generally social media, forums etc, should be more relaxed English, it's not an essay, it's rarely proof read, auto corrects don't help and half of us use tablets and phone which make its even more complex. So I do think the grammar police should back off Facebook etc, but I'm talking about sentences which are completely illegible.

I'm dyslexic, but I have a college and university education which I did well in without help at all, but my math skills are probably quite poor, when I use them they are fine, but they certainly are rusty.

I think you lose skills you don't use, and now many of us do any type of math above basic adding up? Seriously most of us will grab a calculator for that. Technology is so accessible we have become lazy.

English skills you don't lose as easily, but I know when I was writing essays constantly I was more appear of my grammar, spelling etc, whereas now I don't really think about it or care, because I don't need to, I probably irritate loads with my poor language skills, but it makes sense so I don't care, I have three children under three, I have other things to worry about lol.

I HATE people using abbreviations on Facebook or ones that cannot use the words there, they're, and their properly! :brat:

I'm not surprised. With computers, people no longer value basic reading, spelling, and math skills. I can do long division by hand, but these days, most kids can't even add 156+209!

I've always had problems with certain aspect of maths; sums in my head I am quite good at even fairly complex stuff but algebra and anything along those lines I'm a bit rubbish.I have been to college to do 'remedial' maths but I was put in classes with those with quite severe learning difficulties and behavioural problems and while some of them were lovely others were quite disruptive and consequently the tutor would disappear for half the lesson trying to sort something out. I was tested and I was at an age 10-11 level in maths, although I've never been diagnosed officially, I fit every single sign and symptom of dyspraxia.

As a child I was classed as being 'clumsy', 'slow' and having a 'poor attention span' but as I was excellent at English and art it was dismissed as something I could help. I thought I was bad but I have been into smaller shops recently and the shopkeeper has added stuff up on a calculator and still got it badly wrong! My maths has improved a lot in the past few years as I home educate my children and have got a lot of practice that way.

I was speaking with the midwife today when I had my 16 week appointment and I showed her the online maths curriculum we use and she said she is going to sign her kids up to it as there is only one teacher in their school who teaches maths the old fashioned way, such as 'carrying the one' etc and the online maths curriculum teaches the old fashioned way. I do despair at the standards in some schools nowadays, my younger BIL I was looking at his work and he was working in pencil on formal work (and he is in secondary school) and not only that but the teachers had left so much of his work completely unmarked and a lot of what they had marked as correct in his maths book, was wrong, we're talking basic addition and subtraction here. Very worrying. I'm also a tad wary of the overuse of phonics; phonics works great for many children but some children really do learn better from sight words, My seven year old is like this. It makes me really sad that if he went to a school around here instead of them working with what he is good at he would be shoved into an extra-curricular class or one-to-one session to make him learn by the phonics method because that is seen as the only correct way. xx

I HATE people using abbreviations on Facebook or ones that cannot use the words there, they're, and their properly! :brat:
I'm not surprised. With computers, people no longer value basic reading, spelling, and math skills. I can do long division by hand, but these days, most kids can't even add 156+209!

i hate this too i also hate when people dont use punctuation or capitals it drives me nuts and they blame in on the fact that there using theyre phones do you know what i mean does it drive you up the wall too kisses make it all better xx

Back the the topic, I am very surprised; that is a high percentage!!

I'm rubbish at maths always have been and I've never really had to use it apart from counting money since leaving school, English I'm not to bad at but could probably brush up a little, my daughter is 6 and is 'slow' in her classes at school, she seems 'lazy' and her attention span isn't great so gets a lot of one to one time in class, her problem is that she can't hear the ends of words so instead of saying fish she says fi and so on, and it puts her off doing school work as she thinks she can't do it because she doesn't understand the words, she is in speech therapy now and is coming along great x

i hate this too i also hate when people dont use punctuation or capitals it drives me nuts and they blame in on the fact that there using theyre phones do you know what i mean does it drive you up the wall too kisses make it all better xx

Sorry, I cant help but laugh at the amount of points you are making and have broken in your own post.
Or was that intentional?

Generaly I couldnt care less about peoples spelling mistakes or puntuation because I have to be one of the most criminal for it (teachers realy didnt care)
What does get to me though is posts like "prowd 2 b british" if your so dam proud then learn the language

Cough cough, capital "I" as you are important. :haha:

Sorry, I cant help but laugh at the amount of points you are making and have broken in your own post.
Or was that intentional?

Generaly I couldnt care less about peoples spelling mistakes or puntuation because I have to be one of the most criminal for it (teachers realy didnt care)
What does get to me though is posts like "prowd 2 b british" if your so dam proud then learn the language

I'm confused, Smokey. What are you referring to? Cause I'm pretty sure it's Robinator's that you might mean, lol.

It was intentional :winkwink:

but i really do find it obnoxious when people dont know where the shift or punctuation keys are

Ahem, allow me to try that again:

But, I really do find it obnoxious when people don't know where the shift or punctuation keys are.

Now, was that really so difficult? :haha:

I realised it was sarcastic :haha:

It does not surprise at all actually, i think generations have passed where education was less prominent than it is now without PROPER watchdogs to monitor the system. With parents who were encouraged to work work work and not spend time teaching their children.

x

I can quite believe it.
Having moved a few times the place I live now,and the school my children go to, has brought to my attention a lot of people who have less reading and writing skills than my 6 year old daughter.
I had to help a lady in the school office once to read and fill in a form for her child as she couldnt read.

I genuinely can't find the capital letter thing on my Nexus :/ Just saying hahah.

I HATE when people use run-on sentences with fb posts or on here. I'm a fast reader so I need those punctuation marks to make sense as I'm reading. Otherwise, I get mixed up and I lose interest. If people don't have enough pride to write correctly, why should I read it?

I work in banking and I'm surprised how many people can't do deposit/withdrawal tickets correctly or expect me to figure out what they want. Ugh lol.

I HATE when people use run-on sentences with fb posts or on here. I'm a fast reader so I need those punctuation marks to make sense as I'm reading. Otherwise, I get mixed up and I lose interest. If people don't have enough pride to write correctly, why should I read it?

I find I tend to skip most run-on, punctuation-less posts. I give it a good effort for the first line or two but then my eyes blur and I move on to the next post....

Only when someone quotes it later because they are ticked at something the poster said, do I fully read it. At that point, it's a mission to see what pissed someone off so much :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->