Advantages and disadvantages of living in the USA?

I love the US... I live in Alaska (born and raised here) and adore it! Some of the most amazing scenery, wildlife, and way of living (but hey lol I'm sort of biased ;) )

I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones that my husbands job pays for our insurance premiums 100%. I like the choices we have available healthcare wise here.

The people here are friendly, but also many people come here to "get away" and value privacy. So basically- see folks around town etc, polite as can be. Waltz on to their private property without invitation, there will be a problem.

Also- if you are not a fan of people who hunt, fish, subsistance living- may not be for you.

But if you love being outside- hiking, camping, fishing, snowmachining, snowboarding/skiing etc etc the environment here really can't be beat.

Downside.. we have essentially two seasons. Summer for 3 months, winter the rest lol

He takes home 67% of his pay so he's taxed 33% - that seems like a lot to me!

We live in the UK and love it would not move anywhere also but both DH and i pay 40% income tax !! Which really annoys me. Especially when it is going to fund people who don't work !!!

I live in the suburbs outside of Boston so I'm biased, but I'm pretty convinced that there's no place in the world better than New England! In most areas, you can get to the city, ocean, and mountains within an hour or two.

Despite the higher costs of healthcare, the access to some of the best hospitals in the world and personal control over your own health and treatment, is incomparable to a lot of other countries. It surprised me when I learned here that many countries don't offer private maternity rooms or allow OHs to stay overnights.

Same with education... expensive, but we have some of the best colleges in the world. Granted, I have a good amount of student loans, but I busted my butt to get grants and scholarships to help.

Overall, I think you have to be determined to work hard to succeed in the US, but I can honestly say I feel like I've earned everything I have. Too much reliance on the government here will get you nowhere.

bananaboat! I was just about to rant about how there is no better place than new england! I really think its the best part of the US. I live in southern new hampshire and just love every bit of it!

Ive visited the states many times and i have to admit i dont think i could actually live anywhere! For a start they dint have fish and chips :winkwink:...and i get very put off by the healthcare system. Alot of places are very stuck in their ways, obviously not everywhere! BUT the weathers great (again not everywhere), it sucks here and drives me mad. Also the food isnt as good, in my opinion, i looked everywhere for some fruit! lol and i asked the shopworker and they showed me a can of tinned peaches :haha:

oh my goodness where did you visit? We have farmstands all around where I live with fresh fruit and veggies! You could also get fish and "chips" or french fries as we call them :) at any seafood restaurant and some others also!

I personally can't stand living in the US. Well, I guess I could be happier living somewhere in New England or the Pacific Northwest. It's the South I can't stand. The supposed southern hospitality is BS. It's completely superficial and usually just an excuse to be nosy. People are so afraid of change, and it's hard to make friends outside of church. I don't recommend the southern US for anyone who isn't religious.

saraemily, I could never live in the south! I went to visit family in Georgia and they were shocked my white friend was dating a black man...I had never seen racism like that before! also my aunt almost disowned me when she heard I had never been baptized...you should have seen her face when I said I don't believe in god! Its so different all across the US, its very interesting really.

saraemily, I could never live in the south! I went to visit family in Georgia and they were shocked my white friend was dating a black man...I had never seen racism like that before! also my aunt almost disowned me when she heard I had never been baptized...you should have seen her face when I said I don't believe in god! Its so different all across the US, its very interesting really.

That doesn't surprise me. My own family is the same way. I agree it's interesting how completely different things can be in different parts of the same country. My town and places like San Francisco are totally different worlds haha.

I think I've changed my mind about moving to America now... Lol! It seems to be almost impossible to afford healthcare and education. Plus me and OH are just regular people with regular salaries with help from benefits too.

Oh, I hope you keep the option open, if it is something you are still interested in. I have loved every place I have ever lived and would love to try a new country. Go you!

I have lived a minimum of a year in Missouri (Midwest USA), Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona (Southwest USA), and Florida (Southeast USA). And I have visited Ohio and New York. I also lived 6 months in rural Honduras. The towns and cities I have lived in varied in population from 25,000ish to 800,000ish. In those locations I have worked as an ARMY soldier, health care instructor, a case manger at a pysch hospital, a full time student and now I work in secondary education and believe me- none of those make big money!

(this rambling will make sense in a minute :haha:).

In that time, I have found that no matter where you are, you can make your own community and you can find what you need. It doesn't matter if some people are jackasses- if you are nice, you will naturally find other nice people to hang with. If you are liberal you will naturally surround yourself with liberal friends. If you are religious, you will find a church that supports you views.

The same goes for the healthcare and educational system. It does suck in some ways, some places worse than others. BUT, if you are involved and knowledgeable, you will find the one good public school in your area or the cheapest, most comprehensive healthcare plan.

All the talk about great places in the US is making me want to try New England or Northern CA or maybe Wyoming!

I love visiting the States but as a Canadian the thought of job based health coverage scares me. Healthcare here is a right not a privilege. I paid zero for pre and post natal care. I received all the necessary screenings, had a midwife in the hospital etc. I can't imagine how stressed I would have been without that support. What I see as a funtamental difference is that here the general consensus is that a society helps all its members regardless of income.

I think I've changed my mind about moving to America now... Lol! It seems to be almost impossible to afford healthcare and education. Plus me and OH are just regular people with regular salaries with help from benefits too.

I havent read all through this thread so I dont know if this has already been addressed....but unless you've been offered a job over here and the employer is funding your visa, or your husband is American, you really dont have a hope in hell of moving to the states.

Theres very few options available to move, job wise, you'd have to be a professional in a job that is "needed" such as teachers, nurses, lawyers etc.

To get a visa takes a year or longer, a LOT of money, medical exams, blood tests, psychiatric tests, interviews, background checks and so on. You have to prove your commited to it, such as buying a house in the US, selling everything you own in the UK, closing UK banks accounts down etc.

You also have to prove you meet the income requirements prior to moving. On a visa you are not entitled to any state or goverment funded benefits. some visas specify you have taken out health and dental insurance.

You cant just up and move to America. To get into this country you have to have a damn good reason and a lot of money and time.

I immigrated in 2009 to marry my American husband, it cost over $5000, took 12 months, and then once I was here I had to apply for my green card, and 2 years later apply for a renewal. Im now eligible for citizenship, which I will probably go for this year. More paperwork, more interviews, and a test.

What a ball ache! Bloody hell, not easy getting into America like it is England. We accept any old randomer here! :haha:

Yeah like I said me and OH are just regular people! Think ill stay over in England and maybe just book a couple holidays over America, lol.

I love visiting the States but as a Canadian the thought of job based health coverage scares me. Healthcare here is a right not a privilege. I paid zero for pre and post natal care. I received all the necessary screenings, had a midwife in the hospital etc. I can't imagine how stressed I would have been without that support. What I see as a funtamental difference is that here the general consensus is that a society helps all its members regardless of income.

I feel the exact same as you! Who can afford the extra medical expenses to have a baby in the US? Can't imagine dipping into my "house savings" just to safely birth her :wacko: that sux!

What a ball ache! Bloody hell, not easy getting into America like it is England. We accept any old randomer here! :haha:

Canada too LOL jk (kinda... :p)

I disliked America until I moved to Hawaii.

Completely agree! Hawaii is so not like any other place in USA tho.. its got the island vibe :thumbup: lol LOVE Hawaii! Lucky! I have family there

I'm in london and am moving to the usa next month, I'm so friggin' excited ! (And a little bit scared). Am going to have a quick read of this thread, haha!

If you do travel to the States or anywhere for that matter it goes without saying to get good comprehensive travel insurance. Even small situations can be financially debilitating.

DH and I are from California and we DO NOT regret moving to Canada! When we lived in the States, we didn't have health insurance so our policy was basically "don't get sick." I can't imagine having a kid there because we would not have been able to afford it. The lack of maternity/paternity/parental leave sucks, too. :( I'm really enjoying my year off here and am proud to be a future Canadian (just got permanent residency -- woo hoo)!

This is just personal experience though. I hated where I lived in California but have never lived anywhere else in the States. My brother, on the other hand, loves it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->