Advice about using packet mixes for babies food please?

angie0235

Reaction score
HI, I'm wondering whether it's ok to use a packet sauce mix if I'm going to give Kathryn some of our food? Example I made a beef casserole tonight and used a packet sauce mix. I didn't put any salt into the casserole and was going to puree some of it for Kathryn until I noticed in the ingredients it contained sodium 3 grams. Do you think it's best not to use them if i'm feeding it to LO too?

Sorry bit of a naff question but I'm in an indecisive mood and want someone to tell me what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:muaha:

Check to see the equivalent of salt, it should say on the packet. A baby needs one gram of salt or thereabouts a day. Then work out roughly how many portions are in the casserole (4 adult portions--10 baby portions maybe????) and if one baby portion is well under one g salt then personally I would feed it. I would want it to work out at well under one g cos your baby will get salt from lots of other things eg bread throughout the day.

Good luck!

Check to see the equivalent of salt, it should say on the packet. A baby needs one gram of salt or thereabouts a day. Then work out roughly how many portions are in the casserole (4 adult portions--10 baby portions maybe????) and if one baby portion is well under one g salt then personally I would feed it. I would want it to work out at well under one g cos your baby will get salt from lots of other things eg bread throughout the day.

Good luck!

Thanks! There was 3 grams in it and it was for 4 people of which she'd probably have half an adult portion or less so I worked it out at 0.38g. Which is probably okay as she is having 3 meals a day and mainly fruit.

I find i'm panicing about the most mundane things these days! :happydance:

I think they're too salty, but im not a fan of packet mixes anyway - I don't add much salt to my cooking, so I just don't add it to Bethanie's either and def wouldn't have done when she was much younger. Someone else in this house uses loads of them and I hate it so when I cook, I try not to add any salt.

It's up you.. I could be paranoid but I don't think they're great.

:)

Those casserole mixes are really salty...we used to use them loads too, but started making our own with low salt stock cubes (Kallo Organic ones do a version with almost no salt in them) or home made stock and herbs etc. instead now that Sam's eating our food x

Check to see the equivalent of salt, it should say on the packet. A baby needs one gram of salt or thereabouts a day. Then work out roughly how many portions are in the casserole (4 adult portions--10 baby portions maybe????) and if one baby portion is well under one g salt then personally I would feed it

Even one gram of salt is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for a baby....under one's are supposed to have no added salt at all in their diet :wacko:

Here's a link you all might find useful:hugs:

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/824.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=167

To make a casserole for baby just fry a cube or two of meat in a little olive oil, add a small chopped onion, chopped carrot, swede, potato, sweet potato (or whatever you want to add) and then cover with water and simmer for 30-60mins and liquidise, mash or puree for baby:happydance:.

You don't need stock cubes, salt and extra flavours as the meat and veg will be flavoursome enough for little tastes. As they get more adventurous you could add some mild herbs like parsley for a different taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->