Advice/Experience of Evening Primrose Oil Caps

Majorsmrs

Reaction score
Hi Ladies :flower:

Can anyone share their experience/thoughts on taking evening primrose oil capsules?

I never used anything with my first two babies but With my previous pregnancy, I started with RLT at just gone 32 weeks (which was horrid ha ha - although I know they now do it in capsules), but heard a few things about Evening Primrose Oil. Some of what I have read seems to contradict itself - some say its not a good idea and others say midwives give it the thumbs up for a natural way to help soften the cervix and similar effects as RLT, if taken orally and by popping one into the vagina at night where your body temp melts it....

Im only looking at things like this again as although my last baby was 4lb 14 it was the most painful labour ever and although I am fully aware it hurts regardless - if there is anything out there, that is rumoured to help ease any aspect of it Im all ears :thumbup:

My sister recommended taking both RLT and EPO as although her 1st stage of labour lasted forever, the 2nd stage was over and done with in 15 minutes. She didn't start taking them till about 37 weeks so suggested I start sooner. I have been taking RLT since 32 weeks and EPO since 34 weeks (orally, but may start inserting it when I reach full term). As I haven't had my little bubs yet I can't really offer any experience but I haven't had any side effects and it has made me feel somewhat more confident approaching the birth :) xx

I started taking EPO when I reached 34 weeks...but be careful - I got a bloody show at 34+3, waters went 34+5 and he arrived 34+6. I think it was more likely because we DTD right before I got the bloody show that did it, but the EPO may have started things off. This time I will wait until 37 weeks to start. I do, however, have a weak cervix so perhaps it wouldn't be like that for everyone. :shrug:

I started RLT at 28 weeks and EPO at 31 weeks oraly i am in 2 minds when to sater putting it near my cervix as i don't dilate that good on my own so may start it tonight also i have big babies so having this 1 a bit earlyer will be a blessing

Thanks ladies - what dosage is recommended orally? I know the capsules I have are 500mg - read of ladies taking all kind of amounts orally and equally different quantities vaginally? X

bloody brilliant hun, i take 4 a day and (TMI SORRY) shove one up ya vagina straight b4 bed otherwise it will leak out if your walking around (softens the cervix), its given me looser bowels and getting more B/H's then normal x hope this advice is ok x

I started taking EPO when I reached 34 weeks...but be careful - I got a bloody show at 34+3, waters went 34+5 and he arrived 34+6. I think it was more likely because we DTD right before I got the bloody show that did it, but the EPO may have started things off. This time I will wait until 37 weeks to start. I do, however, have a weak cervix so perhaps it wouldn't be like that for everyone. :shrug:

how did you take them? and are they the yellow see through caps? coz they are the ones my mam bought me x

I take 2 x 1000mg orally in the am and the insert 2 x 1000mg at night

I read somewhere that the best dosage is 1000mg but I don't know to be honest!

ok thnx well ill stick to 4 caps a day orally and might go up to inserting 2 caps :)

When did you start taking them vaginally? Is there a certain time recommended to start taking them 'that' way in addition to orally? X

I've been drinking two cups of RLT a day for the past week (well, when i remember to!), but think I'll up the amount to 3 cups per day. I've also been wondering about EPO, think I'll buy some tomorrow, every little helps! x

ive been takin EPO for 3 days and using them 'that way' from today, im over 37 weeks which is recommended to strart from then onwards, ive been having looser bowls etc when i started takin the EPO x

I would recommend epo for sure. In a matter of 6 days I went for high thick and closed to 1cm dilated, 50% effaced and baby's head at station -1, she said i was nice and soft. I find out on Wednesday if I have progressed anymore. I put 1500mg-2000mg up my lady bits each night.

You can take up to 3000mg a day from 36 weeks i started at 500mg at 31 weeks then 2x500mg 32 weeks 3x500mg 33 weeks 4x500mg 34 weeks and last night put 1000mg up there for the 1st time iam early doing it but i did it with my son from 36 weeks and he came on his dd.

how did you take them? and are they the yellow see through caps? coz they are the ones my mam bought me x

I just swallowed them. 500mg morning and night. It was the yellow see through gel ones.

When did you start taking them vaginally? Is there a certain time recommended to start taking them 'that' way in addition to orally? X

I started orally at 34 weeks and vaginally at 36. I think you're meant to start from 37 but I can't remember?

Big thankyou to all you lovely ladies for sharing - As long as its safe I think its definately worth a try - even if it just takes the edge of things and helps things move along when your body is ready. Probably my own worst enemy just randomly looking at things on the internet - hence me asking 'real' mums/mums to be on here :) x

Newbie to the whole EPO thing....when you say insert them do you mean the actual whole capsule? And how far do you insert them? xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->