Advice: First time breast feeder!

ready4num2

Reaction score
So from what I've read this is pretty normal, but it hurts!! The initial latch kills my nipples. They are just so sore. After a few sucks it eases and goes away. Will this ease up and go away eventually? The rest of the time my DD is feeding doesn't hurt.

Yes it should go away after a few weeks. Your nipples just need to toughen up a bit :flower:

use lots if lansinoh!

Yes Hun it'll lessen quite fast.

I think some of it is hormones. Some is waiting for baby's mouth the get bigger as then their latch improves. And some is waiting for your nipples to get used to it.

As long as it is only the first minute or so and you're not bleeding etc then it's just the normal new nipple pain.

The way I used to look at it was that if my finger was suddenly sucked on for hours a day it would hurt. So of course a sensitive part of you will be sore!

Yes as other post completely normal while your nipples toughen up.
My midwife called it the 10 second toe curl :)

I talked to a lactation consultant today too just briefly. She said the same thing it's normal. I was just worried I could possibly not be having her latch on properly.

Completely normal :thumbup:

For me it hurt for about three weeks, the initial latch. It would ease off after about 20-30 seconds. That's how you know it's normal. If it was a bad latch you would feel pain throughout the feed and have cracked and/or bleeding nipples.

Sounds like you're doing a great job, it will get easier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->