Advice from a nanny!!!???

penguin1988

Reaction score
Hi I'm kinda new here (been registered a while but haven't posted!!) anyway I'm a part time nanny to 3 gorgeous kids and also a nursery nurse! I was wondering if any one is or has a nanny and if so whAt happens with things like maternity pay?? Me and my partner both want kids but I feel so unsure about how we would do financially after the baby arrives incase I'm not getting any money!! There's no way 3 of us could live on what my bf earns!! Any advice would be great

Hi, I am a nanny, well was before I had my Baby. You will get maternity money the same as everyone else from your Boss, but as she is a 'small business' she can claim the money back but in advanced. So she will get it all up front in a lump sum then pay it to you each month. If you want to go back after, then she will have to get a temp nanny, but if you have no intention of going back like me I just told them straight away and she employed a new nanny. Hope this helps.

P.s I think you get 90% of your wages for the first 6 weeks or so then it drops to something like 120 pounds a week. Not 100% sure on the figures though.

https://www.direct.gov.uk/maternity.dsb check that out :)

Thanks il have a check on that !! Are u planning on going back to nannying with ur baby??

No, I thought I might try and do a bit of childminding later but you have to fart about with Ofsted. At the moment I am having an amazing time looking after my little one and watching him grow. It goes so quickly I dont want to miss any of it. Seems a bit silly to me to get someone to look after him so I can look after someone elses baby. Although some Nanny jobs will accept a nanny with own child, its not for me.

Also did u class your self as an employee or self employed? I'm not sure what I am, as I was employed through an agency and my family (that I work for) pay my ni and tax

I'm not entirely certain, but I would imagine that you are an employee of the family you work for. If you were self-employed then you would be directly responsible for paying your own NI and tax.

Beca :wave:

You are an employee.

you are entitled to exactly the same maternity pay as every other person hun, and you are employed, it is illegal to be a self employed nanny :)

I'm a nanny, but I'm in the US so things are different for us here. So I can't help you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->