Advice Needed: Considering Midwife, First Time Mom :)

BritD

Reaction score
It may seem premature at barely a month pregnant to be deciding this, but I am in a position where I need to package my prenatal and birthing plan, so I have to decide before my first appointment which prenatal/birthing plan I want to go with. The cost will be about the same for OB/GYN or Midwife.

The idea of a natural birth with someone attentive and devoted to mine and my baby's health is really appealing, and I'll admit I don't get that feeling from doctors. However, I'm nervous about forgoing even the possibility of the epidural, and if I have my baby in a birthing center I wont have that as an option no matter how excruciating the pain is. I have had one mc, and the contractions from that were bad enough, so I am concerned. Can someone who has had a natural delivery with their first baby please weigh in? I also would love any info on water birth, and on the overall experience of a midwife for the prenatal care as well as the delivery itself.

Thanks in advance!

It's not silly to be wondering those things at all. I can not offer you insight into the ins and outs of home birth but I can tell you that the midwife that we've selected gave us a consultation prior to conception. she answered questions and asked about what we wanted from the experience and why we were considering homebirth. She made us so comfortable and we never felt rushed like we were in the OB office. We left that appointment with our minds made up. We know not only how we want to bring our future child into the world but who we want to be by our side. Best of luck to you in finding the answers you need.

Not premature! I booked my doula at 5 weeks myself. You'd be surprised how quickly good midwives and doulas fill their calenders.

I have had 3 pregnancies, 1 full term with OB, 1 MC with OB, and 1 now with midwife, still in progress. While I had "good" OBs, the midwife cannot be beat. Since you mentioned cost, I assume you are in the USA. If so, even better, because midwifery is so rare here in North America, you'll find those who go into the profession tend to be particularly compassionate and interested in women's birth choices.

I have not had a natural delivery, but spent the first 24 hours pitocin induced with #1 (epidural on day 2). The epidural was used for pain relief after my ab muscle tore and a series of induction blunders on the part of hospital staff. I have no fear of labour pain for the next, a home birth planned, because I know it is fleeting and you will not experience fight or flight. It is impossible to describe. I am not sure when you had your MC but I was almost 10 weeks with mine and the pain was totally different than the birth of my 9lb 3oz son. Your body reacts differently.

As for water birth, I'll let you know but again still in progress! Have you read the birth stories link at the top here... :thumbup:

I haven't read them yet...I've been sort of afraid they would scare me. lol. I will go do that though. :)

This is my first pregnancy and I have a midwife. I live in Canada and the midwife cost is covered by our health care. I did a lot of research prior to becoming pregnant and I knew I wanted a midwife. I just feel the midwifery philosophy agrees more with my own views on pregnancy and childbirth.

Given that midwives are becoming very popular now here in Ontario, I called and booked mine as soon as I found out i was pregnant (I was only 4 weeks). I'm very happy so far and satisfied with my prenatal care.

I also can't speak (yet!) about the home birth route, because although that is what we've chosen Bubs won't be here for another 16 weeks!

However, having left our OB to go into the care of our midwife... I can honestly say I have no regrets. None. Our midwife is amazingly supportive, helpful, never rushes us, answers all questions, is supportive of my wife and of our plan to have her catch the baby during home birth... She's just wonderful. We're paying about $2500 (includes birth pool, etc) and for me it is all totally worth it.

I'd highly encourage you to go out and interview a few midwives, bring your questions, and see what they have to say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->