Advice needed for FTM!

newbie1992

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I am a FTM and my daughter is 7m old. I waited until she was approaching 6m old to start weaning as I feel it is best to stick to the guidelines set by midwives plus she clearly wasn't ready.

I planned to start BLW but quickly realised she wasn't going to get any food because it all ended up in a mushy mess on the floor and nothing went in her mouth! So we moved onto jars a few days later and have been on them for just over a month now.

My concern is that she is eating too much, I know people say that you can't overfeed a baby but to me my daughter is quite heavy and other people comment and say she's heavy too. I got her weighed about a month ago and she was 18.8lb and was born at 8lb4oz

I don't know how heavy that is in comparison to other babies..

So this is what her schedule looks like

7:30 - Approx 5oz of milk
8:30 - 1 whole jar (125g) of baby food, usually apple crumble
1:30 - 1 whole jar (125g) of baby food, usually something like beef stew
6:30pm - Another whole jar of baby food

Milk is sporadic throughout the day alongside baby apple juice. The thing is, my baby eats the entire jar and has her mouth open for every spoonful!!

I have been reading online and it says the whole 'food for under 1 is just for fun', my daughter seems pretty serious about this!

Im happy to feed her whatever she needs but I don't want to be giving her too much.

I hope some of you can help me with this situation!!

Milk is more important than solids at her age so if she is drinking alot less milk than usual I would reduce her food intake. You could always offer half a jar and then a milk feed to fill her up.

If she is drinking plenty of milk still then I wouldnt worry. You could always try finger foods occasionally to see if she gets better and this will also reduce her intake as it takes longer to eat.

Unless you are living in very hot climate and worried about dehydration I would get rid of the juice. Even baby juice has too much sugar in and is probably filling her little tummy and preventing her from drinking milk which has the nutritional benefits that juice does not.

Maybe try to switch dinner or tea to a proper meal, whatever you'd have.. I know you said she mushed it about and it ended up on the floor but it's totally normal all in the process of learning, took my LB a couple of months to actually fully eat the meal without messing - he didn't starve haha. I give tap water with every meal :)

If you want to switch breakfast to a 'finger food' breakfast boots do baby cereal bars, they turn to mush once theyve chewed on them and they've good for them too :) gives you 10 minutes to sort yourself out in a morning if your not feeding her xx

You really can't overfeed a baby. You can only feed them unhealthy things. I would just try to cut down on the sugary stuff (the apple crumble) and the juice, as they don't need it and it's just empty calories. Instead, I'd offer pieces of fruit and water to drink. And if you are concerned about the amounts, I would start to think about moving to finger foods. It really doesn't matter if they mush the whole lot up and chuck it on the floor. It is just about fun. You can offer her as much as she wants and she'll know when she's full. Just keep offering milk on demand as well. I wouldn't say that sounds like a lot though. My daughter didn't really start to eat in earnest until about 9-10 months. We did BLW and before that it was just a bit of eating and a lot of play. But once she did start to eat, there were times when she'd eat half a small quiche for dinner or a whole banana and a full adult sized portion of porridge (one of the instant packets) for breakfast. I can't even eat that much some days!

I would skip the juice, that's probably adding extra sugar

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->