• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advice needed . How do you find Breastfeeding and Expressing?

coz

Mummy to 2 boys
Reaction score
I need advice. my LO is 2 weeks old and in august i have 2 weddings il be working at doing their makeup and will be quite a few hours. I only ever breastfeed no bottles, no steralizer and i dont have a pump. Im thinking im going to have to try expressing?? It will only be for these 2 occasions but i am worried what if my LO doesnt take to a bottle ? How do you find using bottles and breat, isnt it confusing for them? Also its such a shame im going to have to pay out for a pump and steralizer just for 2 occasions x

Get a manual pump. They don't cost too much and you may find it useful for other times. No need for a sterilizer, just boil the bottle before first use and then wash with warm soapy water after using it.

Start introducing one bottle per day once your breastfeeding is established (when she's 5 or 6 weeks old) and use a bottle designed for breastfeed babies with the lowest flow nipple and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Get a manual pump. They don't cost too much and you may find it useful for other times. No need for a sterilizer, just boil the bottle before first use and then wash with warm soapy water after using it.

Start introducing one bottle per day once your breastfeeding is established (when she's 5 or 6 weeks old) and use a bottle designed for breastfeed babies with the lowest flow nipple and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Thank you thats great help, is there a bottle you would recommend x

I think that because it is only a few occasions, the pumping/expressing is the more important thing for your comfort and supply and I wouldn't worry too much about whether LO takes to the bottle or not (unless you are planning bottle feeding further down the line) as a baby that age isn't going to starve because he went 6hrs or so between feeds. Yes it will be upsetting for whoever is looking after him if he's upset, but I think that'll be more to do with you not being there than being hungry. They can always try cup or syringe feeding him if necessary.

I realise it sounds like I'm being harsh and saying "babies need to get used to not feeding so often" but I am NOT at all. What I mean is that given the fact that it isn't a regular occurrence and LO may well be off his feeds just due to your absence, it would be a shame for you to spend weeks (and lots of money) buying lots of different teats, swapping breastfeeds for bottle feeds, expressing for these "trial feeds" and for the time you will be away too! It sounds exhausting. I mean if you are happy to do it as it would reassure you he could be fed then great, go for it. I'm just saying you don't necessarily have to.

Is there no way that whoever is looking after him could bring him to where you are working during a break so you can feed him there?

While I was on maternity leave, I pumped once per day after two weeks --- just to get the baby used to a bottle before I went back to work. I froze half of it, but it also gave me the freedom to let other people feed him if we were out at a restaurant. It's a neat bonding thing that relatives and friends really seem to enjoy.

I think that because it is only a few occasions, the pumping/expressing is the more important thing for your comfort and supply and I wouldn't worry too much about whether LO takes to the bottle or not (unless you are planning bottle feeding further down the line) as a baby that age isn't going to starve because he went 6hrs or so between feeds. Yes it will be upsetting for whoever is looking after him if he's upset, but I think that'll be more to do with you not being there than being hungry. They can always try cup or syringe feeding him if necessary.

I realise it sounds like I'm being harsh and saying "babies need to get used to not feeding so often" but I am NOT at all. What I mean is that given the fact that it isn't a regular occurrence and LO may well be off his feeds just due to your absence, it would be a shame for you to spend weeks (and lots of money) buying lots of different teats, swapping breastfeeds for bottle feeds, expressing for these "trial feeds" and for the time you will be away too! It sounds exhausting. I mean if you are happy to do it as it would reassure you he could be fed then great, go for it. I'm just saying you don't necessarily have to.

Is there no way that whoever is looking after him could bring him to where you are working during a break so you can feed him there?

Thanks, i think im going to just buy 1 or 2 bottles and a pump as i may try expressing after if he takes to it, for when im out and about. My husband will be looking after him and i did think i could ask my client for him to take him to me if he needs feeding but i feel its so unprofessional on someones wedding day as its not a friend and i will be very rushed for time x

I'm not sure where you live but I've had great success with the medela manual pump and their brand of nipples (they fit onto the same bottle you use to pump). You can buy bags from lansinoh to freeze or refrigerate your milk in so you don't have to buy extra bottles.

I should clarify that you don't need to sterilize if you live in a municipality with public water. I think you do if you use well water.

I think noon child is right in that your child will be ok. Babies are capable of sleeping through the night so a few hours during the day should be possible.
Still, I'd also prepare some milk if you can. My son never really took to a bottle and preferred to hold out as long as possible until I was back. My daughter also holds out to some extent but she does take some of the milk. I bought a tommee tippee handpump for her from Argos, which came with a bottle and a microwave steriliser costing a total of £15. She seemed to like this bottle more than the Philips Avent bottles I had bought for my son. I did what Bostongal suggested and introduced a bottle in the mornings at around six weeks. It has given me the odd extra lie in as a bonus! :happydance:

You don't really need an official steriliser. You can boil items or put them in a tupperware with sterilising liquid (can be bought cheaply in pill form or liquid).

As for hand expressing, I do that, too, but it is a bit tedious and can be uncomfortable. I think it would be perfectly feasible to hand express little by little and freeze in advance of your babysitting days, then get your husband to try feeding with a syringe.

Whatever you do, remember that your baby will be ok and most likely will sleep through most of your absence! ;)

I bought a tommee tippee handpump for her from Argos, which came with a bottle and a microwave steriliser costing a total of £15.

I love those microwave sterilisers when you only have a few small bottles or pump parts to do - so quick and handy. I used that when I was having to supplement my LO. Later my OH bought a big steriliser because it was on offer and he likes kit and it came with some big bottles. However I kept knocking the bottles over in it, it took up loads of room and it didn't last long before the seal on it stopped working and the steam started escaping! No wonder it was on offer. Also thye bigger bottles weren't really worth it as my baby never took more than 4oz. Definitely for the occasional bottle the small microwave sterilisers are the way.

Thanks for your advice, i dont feel as worried now xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->