advice on certain foods please girls. :-)

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
Hi ya gals, just wanted your opinions on a few things.
Ok, firstly, I have heard that you cannot eat any of these foods whilst pregnant, can you confirm if this is true and whether you followed the "rules"
!)Fried eggs (which I bloody love)
2)Boiled eggs with a runny yolk
3)Prawns/shrimp
4)No microwavable dinners
5)Nothing with nuts in it (I looove lion bars)
6)Liver or pate' (Again, I love liver)

The one I am most interested in is the microwavable dinners- I don't eat them often but I did have one tonight.
I use the microwave maybe once a week or so, often to heat up foods that have gone cold, ie: pasty's/sausage rolls from bakery.

I have followed every other guidline. I don't smoke nor drink, I will only take pills if its absolutely essential (like tonight when I had paracetamol) and I would basically prefer to suffer than to put my baby at risk.
I would love your opinions on my above comments!

My father said that his wife ate whatever she fancied when she was pregnant, and did whatever she wanted- but this day and age, theres so much crap in food and I think that may be the reason for being so precautious.

Any advice and opinions would be lovely. Thankya. :)
Gah, I just fancy a nice runny fried egg on potatoe waffles. :(

Fried eggs, should be fine as long as the yolk is solid and its properly cooked.

Boiled eggs with runny yolk, Solid yolk is reccomended during pregnancy as with a runny yolk it is possible it wont be cooked thouroughly.

Prawns/Shrimp, i think this is a no no

Microwave dinners, never heard anything saying you cannot have them.

Nuts, if there is a history of any kind of allergy then it is reccomended to avoid nuts.

Liver/Pate, definately a no no during pregnancy

yolks should be hard to prevent risk of salmonella
most shellfish should be avoided as the filter their food from the sea ie mussels and any pollutents will be filltered along with it and might remain, prawns aren't at risk in that way but its personal choice my sister ate them as shes a veggie and wanted to make up for the nutrients lost from not eating meat.
mirowave meals ought to be fine as with any food aslong as it is hot throughout therefore killing any nastys, never reheat anycooked foods more than once though.
don't take that as gospel but i was a chef and had to learn this stuff

!)Fried eggs (which I bloody love)
2)Boiled eggs with a runny yolk
3)Prawns/shrimp
4)No microwavable dinners
5)Nothing with nuts in it (I looove lion bars)
6)Liver or pate' (Again, I love liver)

1. Yep as AG and Jase said, fine as long as egg is well cooked. This is because they may cotain the salmonella bacteria.
2. Same as above
3. Prawns are fine as long as you ensure they are cooked thoroughly. I ate prawns that had been cooked, but not those that were cold i.e. prawn cocktail.
4. Not heard this one - but as long as it is heated thoroughly I can't see the issue
5. Like said above, if there is a family history of nut allergy then avoid. There isn't one in mine which was good as I could only keep peanut butter on toast down for the first 3 months.
6. Livre contains high levels of vit A and too much can harm baby. Also pate is one of those foods that can contain high levels of listeria, which can can cause stillbirth, miscarriage, or severe illness in newborn babies.

Thanks ladies,
It was the microwave meals that I was more concerned about. I cant remember where I heard it but I was for sure pregnant women couldnt eat them, or atleast they're not suposed to anyway!
It's the fried egg that gets me all the time :( I love fried egg with runny yolks. I have onl had about 3 since being pregnant, that should be ok right? and also, poached eggs, does the same thing apply with them aswell, as I have actually eaten a few of those.

Thanks ladies,
It was the microwave meals that I was more concerned about. I cant remember where I heard it but I was for sure pregnant women couldnt eat them, or atleast they're not suposed to anyway!
It's the fried egg that gets me all the time :( I love fried egg with runny yolks. I have onl had about 3 since being pregnant, that should be ok right? and also, poached eggs, does the same thing apply with them aswell, as I have actually eaten a few of those.
*ahem*

its the runny yolk thats the concern not if its poached, fried or boiled. a runny yolk is only part cooked therefore not all the bacteria that may be present is destroyed, only by cooking all the way through is this done.
up to you but if your worried about the risk of salmonella etc harming your baby i'd thoughly cook all you food

Hi Louise,

I'm the same with eggs........I love dippy eggs and soliders....it was my Sunday morning snack :cry:

Definately keep away from runny/dippy eggs although I'm sure you'll be fine with the few you've had so far! Just avoid them from now on!

The last dippy egg I had was **Thinks** possibly inbetween xmas & new year! I've started a list of things for Chris to cook/make me when Boo Bahh is here...
1. Eggs & soliders
2. Pate on toast (mmmm)
3. Snickers Muffins
4. Peanut butter on Toast....

There is more but can't depress myself too much.

I've been keeping away from any kind of fish (it doesn't really agree with me anyway) but I didn't mind the odd peice of Salmon now and again....but I've scrapped that altoghther! Fish is the one thing that I worry about even with not being PG so I thought 'What the hell I don't like it anyway!'

I don't eat peanuts (there is no sign of nut allergy in my family) but I'm sure it says in my pregnancy Bible to steer clear of peanuts anyhow (ALTHOUGHT IF I'M WRONG SOMEBODY PLS TELL ME AS I LOOOOVVVEEE PEANUT BUTTER) but other nuts such as cashew, pine, hazlenuts etc are fine as they have vitamins and other (good stuff) in them?

I do know a few people who just ate what the hell they wanted and went on to have a healthy baby....although another friend of mine went the complete opposite and would only eat food she / or close family or friends had prepared or cooked or if she ate out she would have to see her food being made........can you imagine going to a restaurant with her?

Hope everything is good with you x

Hi Louise,

I'm the same with eggs........I love dippy eggs and soliders....it was my Sunday morning snack :cry:

Definately keep away from runny/dippy eggs although I'm sure you'll be fine with the few you've had so far! Just avoid them from now on!

The last dippy egg I had was **Thinks** possibly inbetween xmas & new year! I've started a list of things for Chris to cook/make me when Boo Bahh is here...
1. Eggs & soliders
2. Pate on toast (mmmm)
3. Snickers Muffins
4. Peanut butter on Toast....

There is more but can't depress myself too much.

I've been keeping away from any kind of fish (it doesn't really agree with me anyway) but I didn't mind the odd peice of Salmon now and again....but I've scrapped that altoghther! Fish is the one thing that I worry about even with not being PG so I thought 'What the hell I don't like it anyway!'

I don't eat peanuts (there is no sign of nut allergy in my family) but I'm sure it says in my pregnancy Bible to steer clear of peanuts anyhow (ALTHOUGHT IF I'M WRONG SOMEBODY PLS TELL ME AS I LOOOOVVVEEE PEANUT BUTTER) but other nuts such as cashew, pine, hazlenuts etc are fine as they have vitamins and other (good stuff) in them?

I do know a few people who just ate what the hell they wanted and went on to have a healthy baby....although another friend of mine went the complete opposite and would only eat food she / or close family or friends had prepared or cooked or if she ate out she would have to see her food being made........can you imagine going to a restaurant with her?

Hope everything is good with you x

fish is ok for expecting mums its the shellfish that are dodgy,oily fish such as mackeral is supposidly good for mums and babes its got that omega 3 oil gubbins in it. but if you don't like it then its probably best avoided anyway lol don't really want to see your dinner again once you've eaten it ;)

I read about ready made meals (mostly microwave)- If you have them you have to make sure they are piping hot. I'm sure this was on my info that the EPU gave me.

I had fried egg sarnies lots of them i carved them oh god seems I did everything wrong,feel bad now

I had fried egg sarnies lots of them i carved them oh god seems I did everything wrong,feel bad now
Was the yolk runny?
I dont often eat fried eggs at all, infact I cant recall the last time I had one, but my yolk is always runny when I poach eggs.. Doesnt boiling an egg in water kill any bactaria anyway? thats what I have always been lead to believe.

Those pregnancy books are so contradicting. I just had a tuna sarnie but checked my book first and on one page it says to avoid Tuna, yet on the other hand it says 'healthy snacks, sandwhiches filled with ham, cheese, tuna'- whats all that about?
It also says lay off ice cream yet on the other hand it says only soft whip from the ice cream vans. Now that statement can be very misleading. Ive had a crap load of ice cream, frozen from the shop of course and ONE mr whip......
Here in the world, we have some others who abuse their bodies with alcohol and drugs, continue to have healthy babies, and we're worried about fried eggs and ice cream? silly aint it really?

Was the yolk runny?
I dont often eat fried eggs at all, infact I cant recall the last time I had one, but my yolk is always runny when I poach eggs.. Doesnt boiling an egg in water kill any bactaria anyway? thats what I have always been lead to believe.

Those pregnancy books are so contradicting. I just had a tuna sarnie but checked my book first and on one page it says to avoid Tuna, yet on the other hand it says 'healthy snacks, sandwhiches filled with ham, cheese, tuna'- whats all that about?
It also says lay off ice cream yet on the other hand it says only soft whip from the ice cream vans. Now that statement can be very misleading. Ive had a crap load of ice cream, frozen from the shop of course and ONE mr whip......
Here in the world, we have some others who abuse their bodies with alcohol and drugs, continue to have healthy babies, and we're worried about fried eggs and ice cream? silly aint it really?

the tuna thing is because of the mercury levels, something like one tin a week is below the recomended levels for preggers women.

the differance between soft whip and say walls is the eggs again, its the icecream equivilent of a runny poached egg. salmonella risk. runny yolks aren't cooked its the same as a rare steak, fine to eat normally but the risk of food poisoning is there and in turn what you eat the baby eats so they'll get a dose unfortunatly:hissy:

This will be a stupid question, but if the baby had salmanella (cant spell for shit), I'd have to have it first wouldnt i? Wow that sounds so freaking blonde.

aye, runny yolk for instance could give you salmonella which means baby shares it because it shares you fluids and stuff.

Ive been feasting on microwaveable tikka masala!:rofl:

Ive been feasting on microwaveable tikka masala!:rofl:
Carbonara for me, but i have to pick out the ham because since being pregnant I just cant eat it.. makes me sick, as does any other pork product

ham and mushroom taglitelle-pick out the ham and mushroom-yummy!xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"