Advice on getting pregnant after a D&C anyone did it ?

ladykara

Reaction score
Just popping in to ask some advice, has anyone got pregnant after having a D&C and didn't wait for their first cycle ?

Do they just advise not to for dating or other medical reason ?

I am currently pregnant (a wee bit!), after having a D&C in July of last year. We were TTC for 6 cycles before it happened again. My doctor advised me to wait one full cycle post-surgery to try again. They would like you to have one normal period before atempting to become pregnant again. Pregnancies that happen prior to waiting for the first regular period after a D&C are prone to miscarriage. Your lining needs time to build back up after the procedure.

Congrats honey... I have been told so many different things by medial staff I just don't know what to believe... I guess waiting would rest my mind more.

Wishing you all the best in your pregnancy and thank you for posting xx

My doctor advised me that I could ttc right after a d&c and that he only says to wait for one cycle due to dating purposes. It took me about nine months to get pg after the d&c but everything seems to be going well.

My doctor told me the same, my MW told me to wait one cycle but just said it was for dating... So pleased its a possibility now

Thanks for posting, good luck honey with your pregnancy xx

My doctor told me to wait at first but when I asked why he said there really was no valid reason not to try straight away. We did but I had severe thrush after my D&C ( to remove placental tissue) and it made BDing awkward so we didn't catch that cycle but did the next!

Ours also told us to wait one cycle. We did actually BD in my fertile period before first AF but didn't conceive, it actually took a few months (though we weren't trying all of those months).

Looking back I'm glad we did wait, as I'd have been so paranoid conceiving again so soon plus mentally I think I wasn't ready and was still grieving. My first couple of AF's were a bit strange too so I think letting my uterus rest and lining get back to normal was a good idea.

it's totally personal choice, AFAIK no studies have shown an increased risk of MC after D&C, it's if you feel emotionally and physically ready. My view is if your body isn't ready, e.g. if the lining isn't thick enough, you won't conceive anyway - your body knows what to do. Wishing you lots of luck :flower:

Thank you girls, and I agree I will be really worried to fall pregnant before my first AF but I think I'll worry now regardless... Hope to be in this forum soon.

Thanks again for posting x

I had a d&c Nov 21st, waited one cycle (a very long 46 day cycle) and then fell pregnant immediately afterward. We're now about 5 weeks! Doctor didn't recommend anything but did say that I would be most fertile for the next 3-6 months and that the lining is favorable to implantation after a D&C because it's nice and smooth. We BD'd only once and after trying for several years I think the doctor was right because it worked like a charm. If you feel mentally ready then I say you should go for it! Good luck and TONS AND TONS of sparkly baby dust!

Hi. I'm new to the board, was browsing, and came across this post. I found out last September that I was pregnant and within a week of finding out it was twins, learned that their hearts had stopped beating (around 8 weeks). I had a d&c in early in early November & my cycle returned in December.

We got pregnant very quick after going off the pill and weren't really even trying. It's now been almost 6 mos since the d&c and I can't help but be worried/afraid that there's not something wrong that we can't conceive again. I'm trying SO hard not to put pressure on myself but it's also very hard when it seems like everyone else is getting pregnant! Not to mention that although I am emotionally through the hard part of the grief & loss, it's still challenging to not think of what could have been and that I would have been very close to my due date now.

My husband has been so supportive but I know this is different for him at this point. He just can't understand it from my perspective.

I wanted to share bc it seems like I'm in a similar boat to some of you. And, I don't have many people to talk to about this!

Thx.

Hi Trinas :hugs: so sorry for your loss, hun. Are you actively trying again or you've been taking a break? If you are trying, sometimes just the stress of trying can get in the way of conceiving. My DH and I got pregnant straight off the pill too which unfortunately ended in miscarriage in August. We waited two periods before we started trying again and I think that's how long it took my body to go back to normal ovulation. We fell pregnant immediately that first cycle trying again - unbelievably! I hope you fall pregnant very soon and try to relax and have as good of a time with it as you can! I found charting very comforting for me as I felt like I had some sort of idea what was going on. The ladies on this forum are very useful and supportive so if you have any questions - don't be shy! :)

Hello ladies,
I'm going through the same situation most of you are sadly but it feels comforting to be able to share...
I was 6 weeks pregnant when the heart stopped beating and I had a D&C on the 4th of april. I was so sad...I'm 37 and this was my first pregnancy....
I O on 27th april and am now waiting to see if I will get my periods or not...
By the way I have been under the pill most of my life never being able to O regularly...Doctors always said it would be hard for me to get pregnant and there I was pregnant less than 2 months after I stopped the pill...it was my miracle baby...I'm really sad I lost him....
What helped me a lot is shiatsu, my shiatsu master is japanese and he helps me to get almost regular periods and to be more relaxed...you should try...

Whishing to all of you happy news

My doctors recommended I wait at least 1 cycle.

After one cycle we started ttc again, we didn't concieve for 6 months. But now we are 11 weeks pregnant.

Last week we had an early scan and we saw a beautiful baby and heart beat. I have another scan in 3 weeks and I can't wait!

My doctor did mention that he believes a woman is most fertile after a miscarriage, your body still has elevated hormones and your uterus lining is soft and smooth.

We wanted to concieve right away and every month was torture. But here we are with the end result that we wanted so iwe are very happy.

Although I will say I think this pregnancy will be a rough one, I've had terrible morning sickness and I had a fever(ish) 3 weeks ago and now I have a cold. Ii see a rough 7 months ahead of me.

It will be worth it.

I had an ERPC (which I think is a vacuum version of a D&C) on 4th Jan, and amazingly they didn't give me any advice re. TTC when I was discharged! But I'd had a miscarriage the previous May, so I knew it was best to wait till I'd had a period first, just for dating purposes.

But I still kept getting a + HPT until after my first post-ERPC period (which luckily came bang on time a month later), and it was rather an odd period (sorry if TMI, but there were definitely some tissue-like lumps). Because it was weird like this, I decided to wait another cycle to get back to normal before TTC. Imagine my shock when it worked first time! ERPC 4th Jan, then LMP 13th March, BFP on 6th April at just 9dpo...

I have heard that in the 6 months after a miscarriage there's an increased chance of a pregnancy having a positive outcome because your body is already 'primed' (I read some obscure Scottish medical study I found online), and I've been told by GPs that you're also more fertile... Good luck everyone XXX

My doc advised that we wait 2 cycles. I agree with everyone else. I think it's due to dating purposes. I have heard it's easier to get preg after a D&C. I read that on some forum not from the doc. We waited 5 months after my D&C and we got a BFP on the first try. Good luck to you!:hugs: I hope you are successful.

Hi. I had a d&c in November. We waited until after my first period and ended up getting pregnant after BDing once that entire month.
My obgyn told us that I would be the most fertile after my d&c and that if we felt ready to go ahead. She said there was no physical need to wait, but if I did wait until my first period dating would be much easier.

I had a dnc November 2011. Baby stopped growing at 6 weeks 1 day. Never found a HB. Doc told us to wait two cycles before trying again. So I got my period on Christmas day 2011, then January 27, 2012 and I had the green light to try again. It seems I fell pregant in Feb but it actually ended in a chemical pregnancy. March - nothing and now I'm 5 weeks 5 days. I hope this one sticks. Baby dust for all

I had a d&c in February after an ultrasound at 11 weeks showed one still little 10 week bean with no heartbeat. My doctor said there was no reason we couldn't be pregnant again a month later. We started trying straight away but my body just wasnt ready and af arrived 5 and half weeks after the surgery. I was so sure I had conceived that cycle and it was devastating. Second cycle - bfp. I wouldn't have cared if my dr told me to wait, it was painful not being pregnant after being so excited the first time. Try when you are ready. Good luck xx

Hi Trinas :hugs: so sorry for your loss, hun. Are you actively trying again or you've been taking a break? If you are trying, sometimes just the stress of trying can get in the way of conceiving. My DH and I got pregnant straight off the pill too which unfortunately ended in miscarriage in August. We waited two periods before we started trying again and I think that's how long it took my body to go back to normal ovulation. We fell pregnant immediately that first cycle trying again - unbelievably! I hope you fall pregnant very soon and try to relax and have as good of a time with it as you can! I found charting very comforting for me as I felt like I had some sort of idea what was going on. The ladies on this forum are very useful and supportive so if you have any questions - don't be shy! :)

Thank You :) I can't quite decide if I want to be overly active on this board, as I don't want to spend more time than necessary thinking about babies/getting pregnant!

Anyway, we are trying but I use that term very loosely. We have had some other stressors in our life that has prevented TTC as much as we might like.

It is good to know that it CAN happen so, hopefully, sooner rather than later :flower::wacko:

Had a d&c on 6/8/12. Have not been preventing pregnancy since the procedure but have no idea if or when I am going to ovulate. Any advice or how you got pregnant after a d&c? I know everyone is different but just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->