Advice on TENS machines

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by pickle85, Jun 2, 2011.

1. pickle85

pickle85 Guest

Just looking for a bit of advice...

I have been told its a good idea to rent/buy a TENS machine if you can as they are quite often all in use at hospital, also handy to use at home for early stages of labour.

So i had planned to rent/buy one later on so i had it ready, but recently i've been suffering with quite bad lower back pain from where i cracked my tail bone a few years ago. So i'm thinking about getting on early for use on that too.

Question is... they seem to vary from about £20 to about £100, does anyone know how much is a good amount to spend? Obviously i would rather buy a cheap one! But don't want to waste money, or would i be better to rent?

Thankyou :flower::flower::flower:

2. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

I would buy the mamatens its avalible through boots and has great settings on it as well as being a decent unit it retails for about double the rental cost i believe but you can check it out on boots.com

3. stouffer

stouffer Well-Known Member

I overheard an assistant in Boots saying you can't use an ordinary TENS machine for pregnancy. I'm not sure if it's true but worth looking into.

I suspect that means you won't be able to get a cheapie one :(

4. bump0911

bump0911 Well-Known Member

I'll check the name of the one I got off my cousin. Maybe also worth putting this post in third tri?

5. pickle85

pickle85 Guest

I think i will save it as my first post over there next week! :cloud9:

6. Pixie2320

Pixie2320 Well-Known Member

I would def check with your doctor before buying anything, I was in physical therapy for my back when I got pregnant and frequently used a tens unit here and home as well as got strapped to one after physical therapy, and when I got pregnant she was still able to use it but had to be very careful about the placement of the 4 pads.

Honestly I don't see it helping a whole lot for overcoming labor pain, I only have a subluxated rib and the pain relief it gave me for that was pretty minimal so I can't see it making a big difference on that much pain :nope: