Advice on testing (and work) please!!

Carry22

Reaction score
Hi ladies

just wanted a bit of advice on how early I can test for BFP??

I've heard of the first response tests but not sure how early you can use them??

I don't think I'm actually pregnant - although would be over the moon if I was - but I'm in a bit of an awkward situation with work at the minute.

I miscarried at the end of June at 15wks and was only staying in my current job for the maternity leave so now I've gone back to a job I hate with no baby to look forward to :dohh:

The thing is, I had applied and been offered a great job on the day I found out I was pregnant and I couldn't take it because I wouldn't have been entitled to any maternity leave. I told the guy I was pregnant and he was disappointed I couldn't take the job but was really understanding.

My OH and family have been telling me to get in touch with the guy since the m/c to see if the job was still there but I couldn't bring myself to do it. BUT, the same company have just started advertising the same position again!!

I'm not sure if this is an omen or what!! Anyway, I'd hate to apply for it again when I'm not 100% sure that I'm not pregnant and let the guy down again!

Any advice - will I just bite the bullet and go for it or just leave it???

Carry xx

Sorry for your loss. I mc'd in June, too.

I would definately call the person you interviewed with and explain the situation. The worst thing that can happen is they say they don't have a position for you. You won't know unless you try. Good luck!

Sorry for your loss. :hugs:

What are you going to do if he offers the job to you again and you end up getting pregnant in a few months? How would you handle the maternity leave then?

It seems to me if you are trying to get pregnant anyway and know that they don't have maternity leave what's the harm in calling and asking about the job, right?

I think it really depends on what your plans are next and what your situation is with regards to potentially having time off for a baby on statutory mat pay since if you did conceive in this new job, you wouldn't have been there long enough for any company perk mat pay. If you can support yourself without the additional pay then its an option for you, but if not, then it might not be a wise decision.

Also, I know there are policies about equal opportunities to women etc, but if this employer knew you were pregnant they will likely assume you will want to try again and they may find some reason not to hire you - they'd never blame it on that reason but there would be some other reason they would probably come up with.

But that said (just playing devils advocate there!!) you have nothing to lose by not enquiring so I would definitely make an enquiry if you have considered the above. I hope whatever you decide works out, best of luck!! Do keep us updated!!

Thanks very much for the replies and advice ladies :thumbup:

I've got a few days to think it over as the closing date for the job isn't until next week.

Bastetgrrl - I'm pretty sure that the company do offer maternity leave but I think that in the UK you only get it if you're already in the job when you fall pregnant. I'm worried that if I do get offered the job again that I might fall pregnant before my start date meaning no maternity pay. God its so confusing :shrug: can anyone in the UK confirm that for me??

Candy Cane - I totally see your point with the guy already knowing we're trying to conceive - I think he might just think its too much of a risk for him.

I feel in a total dilemma. I'm not even over the grief of my m/c yet and all this work stuff is just stressing me out even more.

Any advice on the first response??

I can't just not go for a job I want because there may be a slight chance I could be pregnant - lord knows how long it could take to conceive again!

Aaaaaahhhh :wacko:

You have to have been working for the same employer for 26 weeks by the 15th week before your baby is due (so 25 weeks pregnant) basically as long as you are not pregnant before starting the job you should be fine and entitled to SMP if you get pregnant soon after - link here

As for the testing - it really depends. I started getting postives on IC at 6dpo with my daughter (who I lost at 17 weeks :cry:) my first positive on a FRER was 10dpo, and I got positives on Superdrugs own brand tests from 9dpo. But others dont start getting positives till like 18+ dpo so :shrug:

Wow that is very confusing. Hope everything works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->