Advice on when to tell work please!

jkbmah

Preggers with #2
Reaction score
hi all,

I have my 12 wk scan on Monday afternoon (which is also my last day at work before xmas). Hoping all goes well at my scan, If so, Id like to announce on FB sometime before xmas, however as I am FB friends with quite a few work people it would mean that word gets around before I get chance to officially tell them. More specifically my boss would end up hearing on the grapevine which seems unprofessional and not what I want to happen.

options that I need your help with:

a) Tell my boss in person early (ie this week)
b) Email my boss after scan to formally announce (then subsequently put up on FB)
c) Don't tell boss or FB until I'm back at work after xmas

Im thinking email at the moment but it seems a bit impersonal

any thoughts?

I would hold off on the Facebook announcement and tell your boss face to face. When do you go back to work after Christmas? As you said email is a bit impersonal and you don't want to ruffle any feathers when really they should be told in order to sort out staffing and whatnot.

personally id tell your boss before the scan. i told mine so i could talk to people before i got to work, and it was treated with confidence so nobody knew until i was ready x

Yeah I would tell your boss this week but tell your boss you don't want to tell anyone else in your work place yet, so aleast when you announce on fb before Christmas your boss won't hear from
Anyone else. I told my boss as soon as I found out I work shifts so knew I'd need to swap shifts around etc for my early scan but told her I did not want anyone else in work to know until my 12 week scan.

Hi, I'm not sure ill get that much chance looking at her calendar, she literally has half an hour on Monday morning. Its our work xmas do on Friday I'm just all at a mess what to do!

I had to tell my boss quite early on at 6 weeks because im a care assistant so my job involves a lot of heavy lifting.

ive had to tell my boss today and i'm still very early but due to having to change shifts for hospital appointments etc ive told her that i dont want anybody else to know until after my 12 week scan and she has promised me it wont go any further.

I'm telling my manager by email, I see her maybe once a week if that and rumours are already out at my place though nobody will ask me to my face! Don't know about with you but mine wont care she'd probably prefer it that way she doesn't have to pretend to be happy for me straight away and can worry about having to cover another one off on maternity (3 out of 4 when I go)
I'm also telling her before scan but that's because I need to leave work early on scan date.

I'm in the same situation. My plan was to tell my boss after new years (the "corporate office" shuts down for 2 weeks over Christmas/NYE so I won't be able to see her until the new year). I think I have to change my plan, though. I have been so sick I've had to leave work early almost everyday. As she works separately to me she hasn't noticed yet but I will need to tell her next pay day in order to get paid properly. It's not ideal for me as I'm still early on but I don't really have a choice.

I would hold off a FB announcement until the boss knows :)

I'd tell her at least by Monday. Before or after the scan doesn't matter too much, but before you leave for Christmas vacation for sure. :)

I tried to get her this morning to tell her and got "Is it urgent? can it wait?" not sure I will get time to tell her face to face. but email feel really impersonal

Ahhhhhh just told my boss. I was sooo nervous, I was shaking!! She was fine, not exactly full of joy about it. a bit serious to be honest, worried about covering my workload - but fine none the less.

Im still shaking now!

ooo err, I didn't want to tell before my scan but there it is, its done!

Lets hope it all goes well on Monday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"