Advice please? 8 weeks no heartbeat

mepods

Reaction score
Hi, I'm supposedly 8w3d pregnant and had first u/s today but the Dr couldn't see the hb. He saw the sac but doesn't know if he saw a baby or just tissue in the sac. The sac however is only measuring 5 weeks. I haven't had any bleeding but mild cramping in the last week or 2 randomly and didn't last long. I have had a little brown discharge but nothing more. I had blood drawn today and will again Sunday to compare hcg levels and will have another u/s in 2 weeks. Doctor said I'm either only 5 weeks and it's too early to tell or it's the beginning of a miscarriage and the sac has shrunk to 5 weeks. He does not wanna talk about D&C yet. Have any of you ladies had the problem and what came of it? I wanna hear good or bad outcomes. I wanna be prepared but hope is also appreciated.

I hate to be negative, but it's very possible you're experiencing a missed miscarriage...

I would hate to speculate that with any certainty before your hcg levels come back, however. I just want you to be emotionally prepared for the worst, as what you're describing doesn't sound good.

I'm sorry. I wish I could be optimistic...I just don't want to give you false hope, and feel that it's better to remain realistic.

I don't want to be negative either but I went through the same thing and it was infact a MMC, I'm only saying this because I got my hopes up and that hurt even more when I was told the bad news, but saying that I have heard good outcomes to similar situations and not always does it mean a miscarriage, I have my fingers crossed for you and really hope you get the positive answer you deserve.

If you are sure about your dates than that's not a good sign hun. Hate to sound negative but as the other post have mentioned 8 weeks is usually when a heartbeat is looked for by the doctor. I hope you get some answers soon.

When DH and I decided to get pregnant I started keeping track of my menstrual cycle but only had 2 full cycles before I got pregnant. I know the date of my LMP but as far as the ovulation date, I'm not 100% certain. The u/s was not very clear and he only did a pelvic one. Idk. He didn't sound certain on either the miscarriage or only being 5 weeks. He left it very broad just telling me scenarios of what it could mean. I'm not worried about brown discharge as I had that with first pregnancy along with 2 of my friends. Just so confused and worried.

I have, but I'm sorry to say it was a bad outcome for me too. Went for a scan after spotting at 8+ weeks, but only saw a sac measuring 6 weeks and that was sadly the beginning of the end for us.

I really hope you have a more positive outcome, the not knowing and waiting for something to happen is just awful.

Again like all the others I'm sorry to share bad news but I had something similar - I went for a scan at what should have been 9 weeks and baby only measured six weeks, I eventually went on to be diagnosed with a missed miscarriage. We'd gone for a private scan when we found out and the dr was pretty convinced from the start that it was a mmc but she said the nhs won't confirm things without seeing a lack of progress over at least a week as their equipment isn't always good enough to pick up heartbeats with early pregnancies.

I'm hoping you have good news though, thinking of you x x

Sorry hon, you do hear miracle stories so don't write it off yet, especially of you're not sure of your dates, but I had a scan at 8 wks where they even saw the heartbeat but baby was measuring 6+4 and I waited until my 12 week scan to find out baby had stopped growing. Try and find out ASAP what's going on so you don't waste all that time like I did. But hopefully you just got your dates wrong :) xxx

If you think you may have ovulated as late as 3-4 weeks ago then everything could be just fine! I've measured a few days behind with both my boys and caught up by 12w. In contrast, with one of my mc's, I measured more like 2 weeks behind and the outcome was a MMC. The heartbeat was slow, baby small and by my repeat scan 2 weeks later it had sadly gone.

Fingers crossed your dates are just out and baby is fine tho!

I had this and also to be negative mine ended in a missed miscarriage. I went for a scan at 9 weeks and bean measured 5/6 with no HB only gestational sac, yolk and fetal pole. By 11 weeks I only had the sac and ended up in hospital for 4 days. I was 100% certain as I knew my LMP and was a regular 28 day cycle.

On a more positive note I fell pregnant with my DD straight after my MMC with no problems and she was perfect.

Definitely wait and see what your HCG comes back with and I'm hoping for a positive outcome for you but I'd prepare for the worst and hope for the best if I were you

:flow:

I'm afraid I don't have any advice or experience to contribute, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're going through this, the wait must be excruciating, and I'm just terribly sorry that you're going through it at all.

Hi sorry that you are in this situation. Afraid in my case I went for a 9 wk scsn and it showed a 5 wk empty sac. Went back a week later and a blighted ovum and mmc confirmed. I was absolutely sure of my dates so knew what would happen. I really hope that this turns out well for you.x

I've had this happen 4 times. 3 times the ultrasound showed a sac measuring far smaller than it should have and I was either bleeding or started bleeding that day, miscarried later or the next day. The official reports say Blighted ovum. The 4th time, they couldn't see anything other than a thickened uterine lining despite my being sure I was at least 7 weeks. Walked down the hall from radiology and suddenly major cramps hit. Went to the bathroom and passed what was probably the sac then. The dr said it was probably a blighted ovum and they couldn't see it because it was so small and already detached/deflated but since I couldn't show them what came out and they hadn't seen anything on the u/s, they termed it a mmc instead. I'm sorry I don't have a better story for you.

Hi there,

See you've got lots of replies already but very similar story with me; went to epu with spotting at just over 8 weeks and foetal pole, yolk and sac were present but no hb and only measuring just over 6 weeks. Was sure of my dates so knew it was game over.

Was gutted but lovely epu scanner said mc usually happen around 6-8 weeks as its when major organs are being formed and your body recognises something is wrong so even though I was upset, i trust my body/mother nature to know what it's doing.

Big hugs xxxxx

I was told just a sack measuring 5 weeks with my daughter but she only did an abdominal US. I knew I was 7 weeks. I had one 3 days later (somewhere else) and the tech told me the other tech must have not done it right because she was fine and measuring right on for what I should be.

Sorry to hear you're going through this...I had this happen to me 3 times....each one (vaginal us at 8 weeks) only showed a sac....no pole, no heartbeat....I didn't have any bleeding or cramps...had to have surgery for 2 of the MC....miscarried naturally for the 3rd.

Thank you ladies for all your responses. Sadly I started bleeding on Saturday and passed everything on Sunday. :( It's a tough situation. But DH and will just try again and pray for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->