Advice please!! Best way to dye hair black

Lovn.sunshine

Girl Mom
Reaction score
Hi ladies! :hi:

I've been trying to dye my hair [blue] black for some time now and it just keeps washing out within 2-3 weeks :cry:

My hair is naturally brown [with some natural golden highlights in the summer] but I really really love the contrast of my [rather pale] skin and black hair.

I've been using the John Frieda foam hair dye for about a year now, and I LOVE the way it goes on, it's super easy to apply, it says it's permanent but I just can't seem to get the color to stay for any length of time :dohh:
I even use sulfate free color safe shampoo and conditioner....
What else can I do?
Is there something I could apply before to make the color stay longer?
Is there a better brand of [blue] black hair color?
I hate to spend the money in a salon so if there is a way to achive this myself, I'd rather.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

Have a great day! :hugs:

I just so happen to know a hairdresser :D I will direct her to your question. Good Luck!!

Hi I'm mammaG's friend the hairdresser lol

I use Schwarzkopf colour in my salon I find the colour is great and always stays I would maybe go and have it done professionally in a salon to start with as professional colour is quite different to what you buy in the shops to make it cheaper I would suggest having it done professionally first and then topping up yourself I between
Or try Schwarzkopf home colour and see how you get on with that.Schwarzkopf have been making hair colour for 113 years and know how to do it

Another option you could look into is henna + indigo. It's a two step process, and can be quite messy...but it lasts a long time and contains no artificial chemicals. Both are natural plants. I've never used it myself, but all I've heard are good things. It's VERY permanent (as in you will probably not be able to bleach it out if you end up not liking it...it will have to grow out)

Check out thelonghaircommunity.com...the natural hair care section has a lot of info on the two step process.

Don't know if you still need this, but here's my 2 cents.

I have naturally med-darkish brown hair and have been able to successfully dye it a violet black (jet black with hint of violet in the sun) from Satin Haircolor. And I only use their 10 vol developer so that it doesn't take too much of your natural hair color, which means when the color does fade (after about a month) it's not too obvious and your hair color will still be pretty dark. I've bought it from folica, Planet Beauty, and I think Amazon too.

In terms of washing my hair some good shampoos/conditioners (and I've been through a lot), Joico and Wella are the best I've tried, but a little pricey. I've had success with JASON Naturals shampoos - cheaper and doesn't strip color too much as long as you don't let the shampoo sit in your hair.

Don't know if you still need this, but here's my 2 cents.

I have naturally med-darkish brown hair and have been able to successfully dye it a violet black (jet black with hint of violet in the sun) from Satin Haircolor. And I only use their 10 vol developer so that it doesn't take too much of your natural hair color, which means when the color does fade (after about a month) it's not too obvious and your hair color will still be pretty dark. I've bought it from folica, Planet Beauty, and I think Amazon too.

In terms of washing my hair some good shampoos/conditioners (and I've been through a lot), Joico and Wella are the best I've tried, but a little pricey. I've had success with JASON Naturals shampoos - cheaper and doesn't strip color too much as long as you don't let the shampoo sit in your hair.

Thank you!!!! I totally appreciate your 2 cents!! :flower:

black hair is quite easy i just paid a fortune to have my hair striped because i got fed up with it, so going purple/red now, if you have long hair use 2 hair dyes, and black dye should it just make sure its permanent, i found the l'oreal recital preference the best lasting, naples black, then what you do to acheive the blue hint is ad a colour riche directions you can get them on ebay, there a 8wk wash but you can just use it after that as your hair colour cos the black will stay.

I am in the market to go back to my original colour too!! I've been dying my hair black for years now and am ready to see what my real hair colour is again. I thought my only option was to go to a salon, but thanks to you girls I'm going to try Color Oops! :)

If you've been dying your hair black for years, I don't think Color Oops will work for you. It will probably take out the last few layers of dye, so you MIGHT end up with your natural color for a few inches at the top...but it won't remove all the layers, so you'll probably still have a lot of black.

When I had been dying my hair black for years, I had to go to a salon and have a whole bunch of lighter brown highlights put in. Then a couple months later, a whole bunch more highlights, and so on, until most of my hair was a lighter color. That, in addition to growth and a lot of fading with time, allowed me to return to my natural color. Now my hair is down to the middle of my thighs, and it's my natural color, undyed, down to my waist. I still have a darker color at the ends, but it all blends together well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->