advice please

littlestar

Proud Mum to a Little Boy
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice really as my LO isn't here yet and i'm not trying to judge but i feel one of my good friends is a little ahead with her LO's weaning.

her son is 5 1/2 months and weighs about 18lbs - he is a chunky little monkey i love him to bits but i will list what he's eating and i would appreciate some advice as i 'think' it's quiet alot for his age.

wakes - bottle of formula
breakfast - banana and strawberry cereal
drinks 2 x 3 oz bottles of a fruit juice (not sure which but this is broken down throughout the day)
lunch - pureed (Hipp) hotpot food followed by a fruit yoghurt
tea - i'm sure she said he had another bowl of main course for his tea but i'm not certain.
supper - two more milk feeds and a rusk in the evening before bed

what is normal for a baby of this age?

Hmm. It does sound quite a bit for his age tbh. But it depends on the baby really, all babies are different, he maybe a particularly hungry baby. Do you know when she started weaning him? x

he was a little over 4 months when she started with the baby rice, but yes he was a hungry baby we was on hungry baby milk within 2 weeks after birth as she couldn't produce enough via breastfeeding, unless he was constantly on breast (consequently she gave up BF due to soreness etc)

hmmm not sure tbh dont think he would eat it if he did not want it! and he is a big baby

personally I don't give juice (i prefer water or milk) & def not in a bottle but if she started weaning early he probably would be more advanced and he's drinking his pint of milk in the mornings and evenings I wouldn't interfere. It is early nowadays but face it, it's what our mums were doing and what some people still choose to do.

what is normal for a baby of this age?

From what I've read, most guidlines agree that milk (breastnilk or formula) should be the sole nutrituon for the first six months, and between 6-12 months solids should compliment milk, and milk should remain the primary nutrition source.

According to guidelines, it seems to me to be a lot of solids, not much milk, and some unnessercary juice.

" Aim for baby getting no more than 25% of her calories from solids by the age of 12 months (some babies eat less than this at 12 months and that's also normal)."

My favourite resource here:
https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-how.html

Size isn't a factor and not a reason to wean, according to what I've read.

Dylan has a lot of food, but he also has 4 8oz bottles of milk throughout the day too. He had porridge for breakfast with a cube of fruit puree mixed in to sweeten it, for Dinner he has either a fruit or veg purree (introducing lumps now), a finger food like a breadstick or cucumber sticks and then a little yoghurt with as much water as he wants. I offer him some water again at 3pm and maybe a rice cake, then for tea he has started having a some of what we have that is suitable (so I'll mash whatever veg we have, if we're having chicken I'll boil some for him with the veg we're having etc) or sometimes another puree'd meal from the freezer.
He always drinks his milk and he sometimes leaves things if he's not hungry.
He is following his centile lines exactly, so I don't see it as over feeding him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->