Advice please!

K

Katieeeee

I started Aiden on a very small amount of baby rice yesterday morning. I knew he wanted it but I didn't know he wanted it so much that he kept grabbing the spoon out of the bowl and shoving the rice into his face! I ended up taking it away because I was worried he'd end up having far too much and it was only his first try.

Well today, I gave him some more and he just wouldn't stop eating it :wacko: He was grabbing great masses of it out of the bowl, shoving it in his mouth and chewing and swallowing it and going back for more! I had to take it away from him again otherwise he would have made himself sick!

Can anyone advice me how much I should be giving him at this stage or are there no real "rules"? I kind of assumed he'd stop when he was full but it seems his belly is a bottomless pit :wacko:

Are you giving him a bottle first?
TBH he only wants to be having a couple of spoonfuls, five teaspoons at most. You can build up over the coming weeks but his digestive system does need time to adjust else you will end up with tummy aches, sickness etc. Because they are used to the full feeling they get from milk they can sometimes underestimate how full they are when taking solids, their tummy doesnt say to their brain "stop!" intime so if they have eaten quickly they wont always stop when full but will continue to eat and then throw up what they dont manage to digest or spend a few hours uncomfortable.
So give him a bottle, or most of one, then give him a few spoonfuls of food and then wait 15/20 minutes and if he still wants more offer some more milk.

Not really advice but Sienna blows raspberries with her food when she is full and thats my cue to take the food away :lol:

Are you giving him a bottle first?
TBH he only wants to be having a couple of spoonfuls, five teaspoons at most. You can build up over the coming weeks but his digestive system does need time to adjust else you will end up with tummy aches, sickness etc. Because they are used to the full feeling they get from milk they can sometimes underestimate how full they are when taking solids, their tummy doesnt say to their brain "stop!" intime so if they have eaten quickly they wont always stop when full but will continue to eat and then throw up what they dont manage to digest or spend a few hours uncomfortable.
So give him a bottle, or most of one, then give him a few spoonfuls of food and then wait 15/20 minutes and if he still wants more offer some more milk.

Yeah I gave him a bottle before the baby rice, he had 7 ounces! To be honest I think he must have had a total of 5 teaspoonfuls anyway, because each spoonful he had were just tiny amounts.

I give Bryson 1/4 cup of rice cereal mixed with water. 1/4 cup is 12 teaspoons full. He usually eats all of it and has never had an issue. An hour later he has an 5oz bottle. I was told to always give solids before formula, because they could get full on the milk and not want their solids.

I hope that helps hun!

I give Bryson 1/4 cup of rice cereal mixed with water. 1/4 cup is 12 teaspoons full. He usually eats all of it and has never had an issue. An hour later he has an 5oz bottle. I was told to always give solids before formula, because they could get full on the milk and not want their solids.

I hope that helps hun!

Think we get told the opposite over here - milk before solids, particularly if you're weaning before 6 months - as the milk has more nutrients and vital calories they need than early weaning foods.

I hope that helps hun!

Think we get told the opposite over here - milk before solids, particularly if you're weaning before 6 months - as the milk has more nutrients and vital calories they need than early weaning foods.

Agree with Lucy - the opposite is the case. At this age formula should come before solids as it is so much more important. Anothersquish put it well.

I hope that helps hun!

Agree with Lucy - the opposite is the case. At this age formula should come before solids as it is so much more important. Anothersquish put it well.

That's the thing though, he's been taking a whole bottle before I give him the solids and he just doesn't stop eating!

Have you thought about maybe doing a bit of baby led weaning with him? He is obviously ready to start, and maybe needs something a bit thicker than the baby rice....what about pear or sweet potato? xxx

haha i was just going to say, he sounds like a PERFECT candidate for BLW!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->