Advice regarding a chicken..

WanaBaba

Reaction score
Hi :flower:
I'll start by saying I've never been very good at cooking! I'm trying to learn and have been doing ok but still have lots to learn :haha: For Christmas dinner we will be having a chicken so I've bought it today and put it in the freezer (a whole chicken) what I'm wondering is when is the best time to get it out of the freezer and will it take too long to defrost in the fridge/can I defrost it in the sink? If so can I put it back into the fridge?

Also what are you best tips for cooking the chicken?

Reading this is quite embarrassing :blush: but no one ever taught me to cook!

Tia x

I usually let it defrost over a day or two depending on size in the fridge. Overnight in the sink should be okay too. I like to rub butter on the skin and season accordingly then baste it every 15-20 minutes to keep it moist as it cooks.

I usually let it defrost over a day or two depending on size in the fridge. Overnight in the sink should be okay too. I like to rub butter on the skin and season accordingly then baste it every 15-20 minutes to keep it moist as it cooks.

Thankyou, I'm thinking maybe I'll take it out the fridge Wednesday morning and put it in the sink Thursday night before bed?
I'm gonna admit I don't know what that means.. Basting :blush:

I would take it out off the freezer on wed night and leave it in the sink. Put it in the fridge in the morning until you are ready to cook it. You could rub it with butter like pp suggested. I don't usually do that with chicken as it is usually quite moist. season and wrap loosely in foil, baste every so often (open up the foil and using a large spoon,spoon the juices from the chicken over it to keep it moist). It should have cooking temp and time on it but it's usually 190 degrees. 30 mins per kg plus an extra 20 mins. When you think it's been cooked for long enough,skewer (i usually use a sharp knife and stab the breast or thigh) the thickest part and if the juices run clear you'll know it's fine.
Good luck and I hope your dinner is a success xx

I wouldn't put it in the sink Thurs night...it'll be defrosted by then and therefore get too warm out of the fridge and harvest bacteria. I'd either defrost it in the sink Thurs night, or in the fridge Thurs morning. If it's s particularly huge chicken, you could put it in the fridge from wed night to be on the safe side. Good choice going for chicken...nice and easy to cook and no giblets etc to worry about! Xx

I would take it out off the freezer on wed night and leave it in the sink. Put it in the fridge in the morning until you are ready to cook it. You could rub it with butter like pp suggested. I don't usually do that with chicken as it is usually quite moist. season and wrap loosely in foil, baste every so often (open up the foil and using a large spoon,spoon the juices from the chicken over it to keep it moist). It should have cooking temp and time on it but it's usually 190 degrees. 30 mins per kg plus an extra 20 mins. When you think it's been cooked for long enough,skewer (i usually use a sharp knife and stab the breast or thigh) the thickest part and if the juices run clear you'll know it's fine.
Good luck and I hope your dinner is a success xx

Thank you! :flower:

I wouldn't put it in the sink Thurs night...it'll be defrosted by then and therefore get too warm out of the fridge and harvest bacteria. I'd either defrost it in the sink Thurs night, or in the fridge Thurs morning. If it's s particularly huge chicken, you could put it in the fridge from wed night to be on the safe side. Good choice going for chicken...nice and easy to cook and no giblets etc to worry about! Xx

My friend seemed to think it would take more than 2 days to defrost a whole chicken? Which is why I thought maybe the fridge and then the sink.

It shouldn't take 2 days!! xx

I wouldn't have thought 2 days either.

However I've only cooked 1 whole chicken in my life. My instructions came out of "cooking for blokes" handy book to have around. It assumes you know nothing.

Even a large chicken I would think would take a day maximum to thaw in the fridge. I make them all the time and it never has taken longer than 24 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->