Advice wanted please

BethHx

expecting #2
Reaction score
Hi all.
We've decided that once out of hospital I will formula feed as this is what is best for us as a family.
However could I start to pump from 37 weeks to try and get a few days worth of colostrum saved up so Grace will get those few extra days of goodness?
Is this possible?
Please no one say that we shouldn't decide this as bf may go well as it's not a decision we have made lightly thanks

Yes, it's possible to express while pregnant. You won't get a lot out so don't expect more than a few drops. You can freeze and use when baby comes. Just be careful when expressing as it can induce contractions x

With Isabelle when pregnant my supply was amazing. It would shoot out rather than drip (if that makes sense) so if it's the same this time round I imagine I would get more than a few drops.
Would I have to collect in a syringe?

If you have a pump then you could use that. If not, I personally would store in sterilised bm storage bottles as when frozen, it all separates so I don't think storing it in a syringe will work but I may be wrong.

I pumped after my first son was born but it was a case of pump and use that day at first.

That's fab that you previous had a great supply when pregnant, I hope it's the same again x

I shall look into it more and ask my midwife now I know it's possible. Thankyou

With my second pregnancy I was leaking colostrum from about 27 weeks onwards. It was expected that I would have trouble BFing (because I did with my first, supply was great - nipples were fragile and I am mastitis prone) so the midwife asked if I wanted to express the colostrum. I just hand expressed (cos it was shooting out everywhere all day anyway) and put it in a sterilised container so I could freeze it. The midwife gave me containers to put them in, but I would imagine the most economical way of doing it would be using milk storage bags if you don't get some free!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->