Advice

SuzieBoo86

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!!

This is my first pregnancy and I am absolutely clueless lol
I haven't done a proper poo in about a week now and it's getting quite painful. I feel bloated and every time I push too hard I'm nearly sick, it's a fun time :winkwink:
I have IBS and have eaten foods that normally make me go but nothing!
Any advice you guys can give like suggesting a product or food that will help would be appreciated.

Hey Everyone!!

This is my first pregnancy and I am absolutely clueless lol
I haven't done a proper poo in about a week now and it's getting quite painful. I feel bloated and every time I push too hard I'm nearly sick, it's a fun time :winkwink:
I have IBS and have eaten foods that normally make me go but nothing!
Any advice you guys can give like suggesting a product or food that will help would be appreciated.

Suzie, my OB okayed taking these, which usually help even with my IBS: https://www.fiberchoice.com/ Sounds like you're in the UK, though, and I'm not sure if they sell them there.

I read two other simple ideas for dealing with constipation during pregnancy, both of which are possible no matter where you live:

Eat two raw carrots (the big, intact kind, not the baby carrots, as they don't have as much cellulose) a day.

Add soaked oat bran (soaking it first helps reduce the chance of it drying things up more in there) to your food each day. This not only helps things move, but it supposedly also helps reduce gas. I've been doing this for as couple days now and things are finally starting to look "regular" again!

I've used psyllium husk capsules in the past, but the book I read noted that they are more likely to cause gas. With the pregnancy and my IBS, I definitely do NOT need more gas right now! :blush:

Hope this helps!

My doctor said I could take stool softeners (docusate sodium).. those pretty much saved my life early in first trimester. I would recommend asking your doctor/midwife for the okay and definitely try it - no nasty cramping or gas side effects, either. Just make sure you increase your water intake. Hope this helps :)

My midwife recommended the same thing as the previous poster's doctor. The stool softeners helped me a lot. Good luck.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I certainly do not need anymore gas :haha:
Spoke to my GP and they've given me some stool softeners so fingers crossed!!

My MW recommended a type of tea called "smooth move" tea, to help with constipation, after I said something about my iron supplement causing it. And I've seen it at my regular grocery store, so it's not something you have to go to a special health store for. Also extra water and high fiber foods (fiber cereal, fruits and veggies). But she's definitely more the type to go for more natural remedies for minor stuff like that rather than medicine.

I've used metamucil on occasion with success. You just have to use it for a couple of days before it really does any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->