"ae"

Varenne

Reaction score
Does anybody else stumble on this? It seems very popular at the moment to use these letters in place of "ay", as in Mae or Rae, and every time I read it it comes out as "ah-ee" in my head. Mah-ee or Rah-ee. :dohh:

I don't do it with Fae (Fay) because that's actually a word!

Am I alone?

Mae has been a spelling that has been around for a long time, (my nan's middle name was Mae and she was born in the 1930's). I think that its just an alternative and slightly more feminine way of spelling names, particularly Rae when used for a girl. When I was younger, the name Kelly (my name), was changed to a lot of people spelling it Kellie, and there are a lot of names that were traditionally spelt with a 'y', being replaced with 'ie' or 'i'.

Mae is an old traditional name. I don't find ae substitutes to be that bad, for the most part. I hate when people interject y's to be ~different~ like Lyndsay.

I know its not that common with most people but along people I know there is a serious hatred of missuses umlauts (adding them into British/American names like) - people started doing it 10 year ago to look cool but its just a cliche now and confusing

example, I just found these:

Jöę - pronounced Jo
Dawsön - pronounced Dawson
Märii - pronounced Mary

Rae (which is my middle name) is the feminine version of "Ray/Raymond." Mae is an old name as well, and I have seen it used more often than "May." Ie., Mae West, the actress.

My 90 year old grandmother's name is Mae and I love it, might even choose it as middle name if LO is a girl. I was never into naming after family members for the sake of it but I adore the name and especially the spelling!

My name is Lynda, everyone spells it wrong but I do prefer it spelled with a Y

Different spellings can make a common name become unique to the individual.

Or as stated earlier can change the form from masculine to feminine.

My middle name is Jai - pronounced Jay. In the English language 'ai' makes an 'a' sound like in the word rain.

I like different spellings as long as i dont get too tripped up reading the attendance list haha. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->