Airplane tips

Vickie

Hannah & Rhys <3
Reaction score
Okay girls so it seems several or you have traveled on a plane with an infant. And as the time gets closer we're getting more nervous :rofl: So does anyone have any tips/things to do/take/ask for at the airport to make our lives easier??

Feed Hannah at the airport and sorta arrange that she feeds a little at take off to help her little ears:cloud9:

Tire her out/keep her awake so she sleeps onboard

Have everything to hand before take off,milk, dummy, your music, magazines, water I put all in the pocket in front as sometimes it takes ages before you can get your stuff.

Some toys

Does that help ears? Dummy do same thing?

How longs your flight Vickie?

Does that help ears? Dummy do same thing?

How longs your flight Vickie?

Yeah dummy does same thing - I used one with Amy when we went to Cyprus and she did not even notice the take off, and for landing she had a bottle. :)

Yeah she loves her pacifier so we're lucky there :D Good tips Mamafy. We plan to feed her before we leave for the airport (5:30ish in the morning), than try to feed her again before we take off (she may or may not be receptive to this bottle--but lately she's been eating pretty well in the mornings and frequently). It's a 3.5 hour flight from Toronto to DFW and hopefully she won't want a bottle during this time (but if she does we have the ready made stuff so it shouldn't be too bad). 1.5 hour layover in Dallas, feed, change her etc. And than a 50 minute flight to Amarillo. And after that an hour car ride to Pampa :dohh:

Feed Hannah at the airport and sorta arrange that she feeds a little at take off to help her little ears:cloud9:

Tire her out/keep her awake so she sleeps onboard

Have everything to hand before take off,milk, dummy, your music, magazines, water I put all in the pocket in front as sometimes it takes ages before you can get your stuff.

Some toys

I didn't think about this front pocket idea but that's a great one, think we'll stick a bottle and can of formula there so we're not having to fish around for them if they are needed

Just check the restrictions on what you are /aren't allowed on. I'm not sure on Canadian/US rules but here is a nightmare:dohh:

Just check the restrictions on what you are /aren't allowed on. I'm not sure on Canadian/US rules but here is a nightmare:dohh:

That is so true! I was only allowed one carton of ready made milk in my hand luggage, so I put one in that, had someone else take on her nappy bag with another carton! lol. Luckily though I was not made to taste it which I thought I would be.

I know the restrictions are insane. We're also taking some powder in a separate container in case they give us any trouble. According to their website there aren't an restrictions on the amount of formula but you know security will tell you something different :wacko:

When you check in, ask if its possible to be seated near the front of the plane. There is nothing worse than having to make your way right to the middle or back of the plane with your baby and then have enough time to get settled. If you get near the front your also first off so baby isnt kept waiting. Salim was asleep for take off and landing but he was only 10 weeks old so I expected it really. Also if you need bottles warmed make sure you tell them to do it quite hot if your baba likes it warm because they can sometimes do it really luke warm. What I loved was Salim was the only baby on the plane and everyone was looking as if to say oh no I dont want a crying baby near me lol and he didnt even make a sound the whole flight. If your baby does cry and you get someone making snotty remarks just politely remind them that they were once a child, as im sure some people forget that!! lol safe travelling and enjoy it.

that would be pretty rediculous to restrict the amount of formula you can take on the plain!! thats like starving a poor little baby if they eat alot!
Just have all of your stuff ready at hand. A couple toys, milk, maybe some water/juice if she's drinking that yet, bring 2 dummies in case you lose one, a blanket and diapers/wipes... and of course don't forget your things as well. Just try to keep her busy and comfortable.
Last May we drove from calgary to vancouver and Angelynn slept the whole time the van was moving (she was 3 months adjusted) so hopefully your wee pickle will be a good girl and snooze alot :)
Just try to enjoy your first flight with her and take lots of pics! It will be just fine :D

Get to the airport a but earlier and ask for the bulkhead so you get more room. Or if that's unavailable, ask if you can have an empty seat next to you. Marlowe was small enough to fit in one so she could sleep there. Also an aisle seat is best so you can get up with her if you need. I didn't have any problems bringing as much formula/water with me through security as I wanted and this was true for going through both UK and US airports. Also, I brought Marlowe's blanket and a teddy that she always sleeps with on the plane. I think it helped her feel a bit more secure. Going through the airport I used a baby carrier as well so my hands were free. I just checked her stroller in at check in, one less thing to worry about.

You're allowed as well a carry on as well as her diaper bag. I filled her diaper bag with the stuff that she would need on the plane (diapers, a few small toys, bottles, wipes) and then the other carry-on had our coats and her bed time stuff. So the diaper bag went under the chair as it was easy access and the coats and things we wouldn't need until we got off of the plane went above our heads.

One last thing is don't stress about her ears too much. Marlie is a very small eater and doesn't like dummies, so she wasn't always sucking on something taking off and landing. Her ears didn't bother her at all.

Good info! :) Thanks everyone. It's helped ease my mind a bit about traveling with her

Don´t stress and you´ll be just fine.

and don´t do any of the following (all of which I have witnessed whilst working as a flight attendant!)

- pack out the space under the seat in front of you with pillows and a blanket and let your baby sleep there - basically so you have room to knock back as much free airline booze as possible - and then leave your baby underneath the seat for the landing!!!

- ask the flight attendant just before landing (there was literally 2 minutes left of the flight according to the cockpit clock) to warm up a bottle - and then wonder why she gave you short shrift!

- proceed to knock back free booze on an early morning flight prob on an empty stomach and then realise you´ve not packed any nappies for your child because you thought there would be some on the plane! Your child has a full nappy and screams the place down, your a bit tipsy and can´t cope, and start passing your child across the gangway, during descent, to your parents in the hope that they can calm the child down!

- refuse to reseat yourself and your child because the seat you are in does not have an extra oxygen mask for babies fitted. It only means swapping seats across the aisle, but you refuse to do it because your wife and elder child want to sit together, and they won´t be able to if you swap seats. Nothing will happen for us to need the masks anyway, it never does!

- allow your child to play in the aisle with his toy cars, after the flight attendant has checked all seatbelts are buckled etc because we are about to land. Luckily I was sat on a jump seat just behind where the people in question were sat and grabbed the child quickly before he hurtled off to the front of the plane.

So yeah, as long as you don´t do any of the above, you´ll be fine!!! Enjoy your flight!

and don´t do any of the following (all of which I have witnessed whilst working as a flight attendant!)

- pack out the space under the seat in front of you with pillows and a blanket and let your baby sleep there - basically so you have room to knock back as much free airline booze as possible - and then leave your baby underneath the seat for the landing!!!

- ask the flight attendant just before landing (there was literally 2 minutes left of the flight according to the cockpit clock) to warm up a bottle - and then wonder why she gave you short shrift!

- proceed to knock back free booze on an early morning flight prob on an empty stomach and then realise you´ve not packed any nappies for your child because you thought there would be some on the plane! Your child has a full nappy and screams the place down, your a bit tipsy and can´t cope, and start passing your child across the gangway, during descent, to your parents in the hope that they can calm the child down!

- refuse to reseat yourself and your child because the seat you are in does not have an extra oxygen mask for babies fitted. It only means swapping seats across the aisle, but you refuse to do it because your wife and elder child want to sit together, and they won´t be able to if you swap seats. Nothing will happen for us to need the masks anyway, it never does!

- allow your child to play in the aisle with his toy cars, after the flight attendant has checked all seatbelts are buckled etc because we are about to land. Luckily I was sat on a jump seat just behind where the people in question were sat and grabbed the child quickly before he hurtled off to the front of the plane.

So yeah, as long as you don´t do any of the above, you´ll be fine!!! Enjoy your flight!

:shock: & :rofl:

:rofl::rofl: I'll try to refrain myself from the booze :rofl::rofl:

bring extra clothes on board. You never know if it will be warm or freezing on the flight, and for some reason Brennan always seems to have a poopy blowout during a flight and so we have to change him. It's really not bad flying with a LO.

I made a checklist for Josh's carry-on and went over twice to make sure I wouldn't forget anything.

Dummies (3)
2 change of clothes adapted to the weather when landing
2 warm sleepsuit
2 onesie
2 pairs of socks
2 blankets
1 big & thick blanket
2 cloths
Mr.Lapin (his fluffy toy)
2-3 of his favorite toys
wipes
12 diapers
travel size vaseline
travel size penaten cream
disposable changing mats
poop bags
purel
teething stuff (oragel, tylenols, chewing toys)
thermometer
lavender baby cream (travel size)
1 jar of food
2 spoons
12 containers of already measured formula powder
12 bottles of boiled water

I had put every liquids in the same plastic bag, the food in the same plastic bag and all of the bottles together, it makes it a lot easier when checking into security.

While taking off and landing, I gave him a bottle, or dummy.

Don't stress too much hun, I was really stress and it turned out to be really easy!!!! I know that the Toronto airport is really good with babies, they make it go really smoothly! When I left from Manchester, they made me drink every single bottle, opened all jars or food and eat a bit of them. They were such assholes... In Canada they're really good and didn't do all of that crap!

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!! xxx

Ps: when we left from Montreal it wasn't a full flight, I asked the flight attendant if it was possible to switch some people around so we have a seat for the 3 of us, and they did. =)

Didn't think of bags to put the poop in! Good idea. We're actually taking all of Hannah's clothes onboard in a carry on suitcase with a few changes of clothes in the diaper bag. Mostly because they always lose my damn luggage and I can't afford to lose her things! I hope they dont make us taste all the formula! :wacko: We're planning on taking the pre-made cans with some powder for backup (just in case)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->