Airport Security Scanner or Pat Down?

Mild Mango

Reaction score
So, I'm going on a business trip next month that will require a short flight. I'll be about 14 or 15 weeks along at that time. I'm totally cool with the flying aspect of the trip, but I'm a little concerned about those full body scanners you have to go thru in security (millimeter wave scanners).

I haven't found any evidence online that these scanners are harmful for preggos, but I'm still a little uneasy about it, especially because they're relatively new. For those of you that flew while pregnant, did you go through the scanner or did you opt for a pat down? If you opted for the pat down, did the TSA agent make a fuss about it? Did it take long? I've never had a pat down before.

I went through one when we were TTC. When I thought I was pregnant I asked for the pat down. I told the lady at TSA that I may be pregnant. She said it was still safe to go through but it was totally my choice. I'd pick the pat down again - just to be safe, it was quick and not too invasive.

I flew to Punta Cana when I was 6 weeks pregnant with my first and I chose the pat down. I explained I was expecting my first child and that the scanner made me nervous. There was no problem at all, they were very nice and said they understood. It only lasted 30 seconds or so and it was all done :)

i would assume them to be pretty safe
however if you are nervous about it or have bad feeling about it at all
trust your instincts and demand a pat down instead
even if they put up a fuss about it DONT down back down
you dont even have to reveal why you want the pat down
if a TSA officer gives you any grief i would file a complaint against them
it is your RIGHT to have one instead
its your body your baby and im many others opt for the pat down for different personal reasons
i know many people who consider the scanners to be invasive therefore refuse to go through one
remember this is your country they are here to serve you and you have rights so that you can exercise them
dont not allow officials to suppress your rights and make you feel as though you should not exercise them

I'm a flight attendant for one of the majors. .. get the pat down. There's a reason you never see flight crew go through them, it uses small doses of xray\radiation. Just plan a bit more time as you'll have to wait for an available female agent. Not saying it to scare anyone, just giving advice from a professional stand point. For the infrequent flier there may not be much of a risk of exposure, but no sense in risking it.

Also, when I asked for pat downs a few months ago I never receive ed any fuss at all. Once I had to wait about 7 minutes (which felt like an eternity lol) because they only had one female agent qualified for pat downs ans she was one busy lady! You don't have to reveal why you want it, I believe its against privacy laws for them to ask anyways. Its really quick once you get it and not incasive at all.

I flew to Birmingham this weekend (am about 5 weeks) and beeper going through the metal detector thing. The lady asked me to stand in the scanner thing. I told her that I am very early pregnant but she just looked exasperated and said it is perfectly safe in pregnancy. She asked me if I was going to refuse the scanner - I just felt flustered and pressured so just stood in the scanner. She didn't offer me a pat down.

I was worried about it but checked on the internet and it says it's safe - it's not an X-Ray machine. It apparently just scans at skin level with minimal rays omitted but being absorbed at skin level. I suppose loads of pregnant air stewardess and pilots go through it everyday, many not realising they're not pregnant.

...although I feel nervous now reading your replies!

I went on holiday at 19 weeks and went in a scanner come back when I was 20 weeks and had my 20 week scan on Monday and everything is fine with bubba x

I went through scanner, then actually got chosen at random for pat down at 6 and 7 weeks. Had scan at 7+3 and nugget is fine xx

I have been through them 4 times whilst pregnant. To be honest it never came to mind not to

I flew to Birmingham this weekend (am about 5 weeks) and beeper going through the metal detector thing. The lady asked me to stand in the scanner thing. I told her that I am very early pregnant but she just looked exasperated and said it is perfectly safe in pregnancy. She asked me if I was going to refuse the scanner - I just felt flustered and pressured so just stood in the scanner. She didn't offer me a pat down.

I was worried about it but checked on the internet and it says it's safe - it's not an X-Ray machine. It apparently just scans at skin level with minimal rays omitted but being absorbed at skin level. I suppose loads of pregnant air stewardess and pilots go through it everyday, many not realising they're not pregnant.

that is horrible and ridiculous
i definitely would have said why yes in fact i am refusing is there a problem?
and filed a complaint against her
ugh i cant stand police officers and TSA officers
their job is not to make you feel intimated or oppressed
their job is to serve you (the public)

...although I feel nervous now reading your replies!

It's really only an issue when it's done repeatedly aka if you're a frequent flier. If you go through it once, although not ideal, it shouldn't cause harm. But for me, if I know it causes problems eventually, I'd prefer just to avoid it altogether. And if the agents seem flustered, well...tough on them, I couldn't care less if I make you huff and puff mr/s agent person haha! I just don't even bother with the metal detector and up front ask for a pat down and never say that it's because I'm pregnant, they don't need to know and I don't have to tell why =)

They aren't Dr's and if (as a VERY frequent flier lol) we're told as crew members to avoid them due to radiation levels that would come from how often WE go through them....well, that's enough for me!!! haha So yeah, just to clarify, flight crew NEVER goes through the full body scanner, only the metal detector if needed. We are told and instructed to never go through the scanners by both our airlines and the TSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->