Alcohol and nursing?

Desi's_lost

baby girl,boy and me
Reaction score
What do you think of the occasional drink? Well specifically, by the end of the day I'm generally stressed and tired and so is OH so he'll generally have a beer or two and I enjoy a nice wine cooler or mixed drink (one shot of alcohol or less). I'll sip at my one drink for 2-3 hours. I'm fairly sure that's spread out enough to not effect my milk as I've always heard safe to drive, safe to nurse. It's probably in my head but it helps me relax lol.

Am curious to see what other ladies think/do.

I've looked up the test strips and they practically cost $2 each o_O)

I go with safe to drive, safe to vreastfeed too. I like the odd glass of wine so if i drink one just after her bedtime feed i know i'll have around 5 hours till she feeds again so i don't see how it can hurt

The fact that you are inquiring about this at all makes me believe that you will drink with good judgement. :thumbup:

How old is your LO? I actually waited until my DS was 1 year old before having a drink (or two hehe). But that was personal; I felt like my DS' liver would have a hard time before then.

I always only drank when he was in bed and I had JUST nursed him. That way I knew that the next time he would need me would be in the very least 2 hours. :winkwink:

Use your best judgement.

Yes, a TINY amount of alcohol will be in your breastmilk, but NO you do NOT need to "pump and dump", as alcohol will leave your milk as soon as it leaves your bloodstream. :flower:

I was told as long as you don't feel the affects then you are safe to nurse. This came from a lactation consultant. I try to space it out about 2 hours.

Yep as the others say. I personally wouldn't co sleep after any alcohol though, but if DS is going down in his cot I will have a cider now and again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->