alcohol intake

gflady

mummy to theo
Reaction score
Anyone drink alcohol whilst TTC?

I like a glass of wine or two a few times per week but not sure if I should cut it out now that we're trying. I didn't with my first...

I'm currently only drinking when I 'have' to - ie when in a social situation where questions will be asked! Seeing as we have a 2 year old and don't go out that much it's fairly easy to only drink very occasionally! I do so miss my Friday night wine though....!

I was told if you have been having issues with fertility, then cut out all alcohol. And then of course during the tww. Other than that, when my doctor asked me at my physical if I drink, I told him maybe once a week like a glass of wine or something - he shrugged his shoulders, smiled and said, "pff, that's fine". :thumbup:

I don't know. I go back and forth with this. If you are used to a glass of wine at night to relax and de-stress from the day. I don't see any issue with it. Red wine is not as bad as most make it out to be. And when you start cutting out this and that you add more stress to your system.

It's when you know you're pregnant and start chugging liquor. But any sensible adult woman isn't going to do that while ttc. Unless you have your period.

My opinion; as with everything else 'always in moderation.'

The stress of TTC can sometimes be too much for one day and a glass of wine or a pint of hard cider is really, really tempting however I am and have always been with the opinion that there is no safe amount. When in doubt, don't do it.

My doctor had advised absolutely 100% no drinking when TTC, regardless of problems trying to conceive or not - there is no safe amount of alcohol. The first few weeks after conception are extremely vital and you don't want to impact those first few growing weeks negatively, even if it's just one glass. Others might disagree with my opinion but personally, I found it was the right thing for me.

You'll have to decide what is right and wrong for you - not what is right and wrong for others. I knew for myself, that if anything turned out badly (ex. heaven forbid my baby should have a birth defect) I might attribute it to that one glass of wine I had with dinner, and I don't want to have that guilt/shaming feeling. I will have a drink when I stop breastfeeding.

Maybe try chocolate instead? My friend (also TTC) is a big wino and she regularly pours herself a glass of wine, inhales the scent and then pours it down the drain - she can't bring herself to drink so she makes due with the smell of it!

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

Thanks guys. I think i'm going to cut it out. I didn't with my first (conceived unexpectedly) and although he's turning out great (so far!) I'd rather not risk it. I do love chocolate and cake so happy for those to be my treats instead :)

I live by the everything in moderation rule too. I didn't drink even a sip while pregnancy but I did enjoy the odd glass of wine while ttc last time and am still this time.

I don't get drunk or drink spirits anyway, only ever a glass or 2 if wine at the weekend. I probably won't during my tww but once af is here again I will!

I don't really drink anyway only if we go out but while ttc id avoid it, but that's just me as I said im not much of a drinker so it doesn't bother me the last drink I did have was on my 30th birthday about 11 days ago but I had just come on my af (thanks mother nature!) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->