Alexandra's birth, 16/03/2010--> Induction and foreceps delivery

IvyBaby

Reaction score
Our beautiful daughter Alexandra Sona was born on March 16, 2010 after 3 days of induced labour.

I was booked for induction because she was 2 weeks late and her head was not even engaged, she did not show any signs of wanting to come out. On Saturday I went in to have the process started and received the first lot of prostaglandin gel, which did nothing. The second lot was administered 6 hours later and it started some mild contractions, which died off after a while. Then I had to wait for the third lot which can only be prescribed by the doctor, but because of some emergency I got it more like 18 later rather than 6 hours later :( (I've got to tell you that the gel made me very sore and examinations were an agony) Soon after we had come back from a walk I started having pretty strong regular contractions, which were getting stronger all the time. It helped me dilate to 2 cm.

My bf and mom stayed with me, because I was in a lot of pain and was promised a room on labour ward, but after midnight they got kicked out, because visitors were not allowed after 9 pm and I still did not have my room. It made me feel very alone and depressed, I was just sitting and crying and trying to cope with my contractions. Midwife told me to get some sleep, but there was no chance I could sleep through that pain. When the morning came the contractions became less intense and more far apart until finally they stopped alltogether :( I suspect that stress could be a contributing factor.

When I finally got transferred to the labour ward, the first thing they did was check me and tell me that I was still only 2 cm dilated and then break my water. It was uncomfortable but not painful- pretty much like a regular examination. I was left alone for a couple hours and told to go out for a walk. For the first half an hour I could not go anywhere, lol, because I was leaking water like an open tap. I kept changing pads until it became manageable.

Unfortunately nothing changed, I still had no contractions and was put on a drip, which worked fairly quickly and soon I was in the worst pain of my life. I was offered gas and air and at first loved it, it made me feel drunk and woozy, everything went white in my eyes, and I was laughing and snorting like a wee piggy, lol. The young midwife was laughing at me louder than I was. Unfortunately again soon the pain became worse and gas and air had no effect on it, so I stopped having it and begged for something else and was given an epidural which worked like magic until something happened and the canula must have shifted because the top ups started having no effect.

Another anaesthetist came and resited the epidural, which did hurt this time :( however, I was told that at this stage (almost fully dilated) the epidural could have little or no effect (so true!)... I was 10 cm dilated but there was a bit of cervix still in the way, which they managed to shove away and then I could start pushing. Every time a contraction came I had to do 3 mighty pushes, the last being the strongest, and after about 1 and a half hours I was completely exhausted and not progressing at all. The pain was so excruciating that I refused to push any more, I just could not do it any longer, I thought I was dying :(Oh, and also I wanted to hit the midwife who kept shouting: PUSH! PUSH! YOU CAN DO IT!!! over and over again, I found it so distracting and irritating, lol...) The babies heart rate was dipping every time the contraction hit and that got them worried as well. A doctor came in and spoke to me, she was very understanting and told me that I have been doing a very good job with pushing but, for some reason, it was not getting us anywhere and, as I was getting more and more exhausted, there was no point continuing this way and we should go to the theatre. By that time I was begging for a c-section.

They took me and my bf to the theatre (for all the pain and tiredness I still was able to notice how sexy my bf looked in that hospital shirt and cap they gave him!) and, after examining me, the doctor told me that they will try forceps because baby head was on the verge of coming out- just not naturally :(. I got a stronger drug in to my spine and the process could start. I could feel the baby being pulled out- first the head and then, with the next contraction, the rest of the body, but it did not hurt at all. After a moment I realized that the baby was already taken behind me and there was a bunch of people standing around her, poking and prodding her. Soon after there was a fain cry and her daddy was called to her so he could touch her. I could just see a little of what was going on and never got to hold her, because after she was revived she was immediately moved to NICU. Finally i was stitched up (had episiotomy) and taken back to the ward to recover. Lol, bf told me that the doctor who performed the forceps delivery had my blood all over her face (I lost 1 liter of blood, it was everywere on the floor and even somehow reached my bf`s trousers) but did not care at all.. she was quite cool, generally everybody we met at the hospital were very professional and fantastic people too.

My bf went to see her and took a picture and a short movie for me- she was the cutest sweetest baby I had ever seen and I could not stand it any longer that I could not hold her. After a few hours I went to see her in NICU and breastfed her for the first time. She was absolutely fine and got discharged in the evening.

We got home only after two days, because she had to be checked by pediatritian who gave her all clear :) and we could take our precious daughter home. By then I was in a lot of pain, hardly able to walk or sit down because of the stitches, which have pretty much healed by now (2 weeks later), but so happy to have her!

I am still disappointed at having my birth plan go out of the window and wondering if it was the right decision to induce the birth- what if she would have come naturally in a couple days or a week. She was perfectly happy in my tummy, the water was clear etc etc... but there is really no point guessing now. What's done done and she is well, that is the most important thing :) I am so grateful for having my mom with us these first two weeks and amazed at how fantastic my bf was! Thinking about it still makes me well up a little :)

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• First hours.jpg
    First hours.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 71
  • sleepy.jpg
    sleepy.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 64
  • wiselook.jpg
    wiselook.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 52
  • twoweeks.jpg
    twoweeks.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 39
The first picture was taken just a couple hours after birth, the second one also on the same day, once I got to see her and the last two I took two days ago when she turned 2 weeks old :)

She really is and, I think, she knows it! Thanks hon! Hope you are allright and coping well with all the mommy duties :)

she's adorable, congratulations :) I don't often reply to birth stories but wanted to respond to your concern about whether or not it was right to induce or not. I had a rubbish birth with my son and after being induced, had a csection. What was your placenta like? The placenta was the reason I ended up deciding in retrospect that it was right to induce. When mine was examined it was found to be basically failing and providing very little nutrition to Alasdair. Perhaps if it's not in your notes, you could find out. I certainly like knowing that it was most probably the right thing to do.

I asked them about the placenta and was told that it was perfectly fine. Not in all cases it starts to fail, but, if it does, then induction is the way to go.. only how to know for sure?! I guess that if I did not get induced, I would have been very worried if it was the right decision and if the baby was doing well.

It is good to hear that your baby was fine and was taken out on time :)

Our beautiful daughter Alexandra Sona was born on March 16, 2010 after 3 days of induced labour.

I was booked for induction because she was 2 weeks late and her head was not even engaged, she did not show any signs of wanting to come out. On Saturday I went in to have the process started and received the first lot of prostaglandin gel, which did nothing. The second lot was administered 6 hours later and it started some mild contractions, which died off after a while. Then I had to wait for the third lot which can only be prescribed by the doctor, but because of some emergency I got it more like 18 later rather than 6 hours later :( (I've got to tell you that the gel made me very sore and examinations were an agony) Soon after we had come back from a walk I started having pretty strong regular contractions, which were getting stronger all the time. It helped me dilate to 2 cm.

My bf and mom stayed with me, because I was in a lot of pain and was promised a room on labour ward, but after midnight they got kicked out, because visitors were not allowed after 9 pm and I still did not have my room. It made me feel very alone and depressed, I was just sitting and crying and trying to cope with my contractions. Midwife told me to get some sleep, but there was no chance I could sleep through that pain. When the morning came the contractions became less intense and more far apart until finally they stopped alltogether :( I suspect that stress could be a contributing factor.

When I finally got transferred to the labour ward, the first thing they did was check me and tell me that I was still only 2 cm dilated and then break my water. It was uncomfortable but not painful- pretty much like a regular examination. I was left alone for a couple hours and told to go out for a walk. For the first half an hour I could not go anywhere, lol, because I was leaking water like an open tap. I kept changing pads until it became manageable.

Unfortunately nothing changed, I still had no contractions and was put on a drip, which worked fairly quickly and soon I was in the worst pain of my life. I was offered gas and air and at first loved it, it made me feel drunk and woozy, everything went white in my eyes, and I was laughing and snorting like a wee piggy, lol. The young midwife was laughing at me louder than I was. Unfortunately again soon the pain became worse and gas and air had no effect on it, so I stopped having it and begged for something else and was given an epidural which worked like magic until something happened and the canula must have shifted because the top ups started having no effect.

Another anaesthetist came and resited the epidural, which did hurt this time :( however, I was told that at this stage (almost fully dilated) the epidural could have little or no effect (so true!)... I was 10 cm dilated but there was a bit of cervix still in the way, which they managed to shove away and then I could start pushing. Every time a contraction came I had to do 3 mighty pushes, the last being the strongest, and after about 1 and a half hours I was completely exhausted and not progressing at all. The pain was so excruciating that I refused to push any more, I just could not do it any longer, I thought I was dying :(Oh, and also I wanted to hit the midwife who kept shouting: PUSH! PUSH! YOU CAN DO IT!!! over and over again, I found it so distracting and irritating, lol...) The babies heart rate was dipping every time the contraction hit and that got them worried as well. A doctor came in and spoke to me, she was very understanting and told me that I have been doing a very good job with pushing but, for some reason, it was not getting us anywhere and, as I was getting more and more exhausted, there was no point continuing this way and we should go to the theatre. By that time I was begging for a c-section.

They took me and my bf to the theatre (for all the pain and tiredness I still was able to notice how sexy my bf looked in that hospital shirt and cap they gave him!) and, after examining me, the doctor told me that they will try forceps because baby head was on the verge of coming out- just not naturally :(. I got a stronger drug in to my spine and the process could start. I could feel the baby being pulled out- first the head and then, with the next contraction, the rest of the body, but it did not hurt at all. After a moment I realized that the baby was already taken behind me and there was a bunch of people standing around her, poking and prodding her. Soon after there was a fain cry and her daddy was called to her so he could touch her. I could just see a little of what was going on and never got to hold her, because after she was revived she was immediately moved to NICU. Finally i was stitched up (had episiotomy) and taken back to the ward to recover. Lol, bf told me that the doctor who performed the forceps delivery had my blood all over her face (I lost 1 liter of blood, it was everywere on the floor and even somehow reached my bf`s trousers) but did not care at all.. she was quite cool, generally everybody we met at the hospital were very professional and fantastic people too.

My bf went to see her and took a picture and a short movie for me- she was the cutest sweetest baby I had ever seen and I could not stand it any longer that I could not hold her. After a few hours I went to see her in NICU and breastfed her for the first time. She was absolutely fine and got discharged in the evening.

We got home only after two days, because she had to be checked by pediatritian who gave her all clear :) and we could take our precious daughter home. By then I was in a lot of pain, hardly able to walk or sit down because of the stitches, which have pretty much healed by now (2 weeks later), but so happy to have her!

I am still disappointed at having my birth plan go out of the window and wondering if it was the right decision to induce the birth- what if she would have come naturally in a couple days or a week. She was perfectly happy in my tummy, the water was clear etc etc... but there is really no point guessing now. What's done done and she is well, that is the most important thing :) I am so grateful for having my mom with us these first two weeks and amazed at how fantastic my bf was! Thinking about it still makes me well up a little :)

Thanks for reading!

your birth story is almost identical to mine with my first son- congrats on your beautiful baby :)

Congrads hun, she's beautiful :) x

What a hard time you had hun :(

Shes here now and absolutely gorgeous! Well done and huge congratulations xxxxxx

What a hard time you had hun :(

Shes here now and absolutely gorgeous! Well done and huge congratulations xxxxxx

Thanks, hon! She is starting to show some character already, lol :) But I love her to bits, never knew that it was possible to love a little human being sooo much :blush:

congratulations sugar, she's beautiful, i hope you're healing up well xx

congratulations sugar, she's beautiful, i hope you're healing up well xx

Thanks dear, yes, I am doing quite well, can walk, can sit down without pain :) Baby is an angel, we are getting along well.. I just wish she did not suffer from colic every night! :dohh:

Congratulations! She is so so beautiful! xxxx

Shes very beautiful. Congratulations! X

Ohh what a beautiful little girl you have :cloud9: congratulations hun and well done! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->