"All women need Pitocin at some point"

futuremama88

Reaction score
So I am having a VBAC with midwives but had to see an OB consult and this is what she said! Anyone else heard anything like this? Does literally every single women in labour end up getting Pitocin at some point? I really don't see how that can be true as how would humans exist before the invention of Pitocin?!?!?

This is definitely NOT true. The OB you saw is either extremely misinformed or just trying to scare you for some strange reason.

never heard this and not true. i have never had it. complete rubbish.

With my DS, I had a shot of Pitocin AFTER delivery. I was told it was given to help the uterus contract back down and help with the bleeding as a result. I didn't know this was going to be given and wasn't aware I was going to get it until they jabbed me in the arm. I was like, "Hey, what's that?!" With my DD, I drank my raspberry leaf tea for 3 months prior to her birth and managed to convince my dr not to give me the shot. They were all stunned at how fast my fundus went back to normal and how quickly my bleeding slowed without the meds. I am seeing a new doctor this time so I have to find out if he gives it or if I can opt out of getting it.

totally not true!! not ALL women need it. Lots of women spontaneously go into labour and deliver without medical assistance. i am one of them. That OB is way off. Wow.

Some obs are oxytocin happy! They like giving it to speed up labour for their convenience unfortunately :( I had it with both my previous labours but because they both stalled a bit at abt 7cm so I was given a shot to get things moving again. The first time I wasnt asked and it was just given, I was 7cm and started progressing slowly after that point (I was on a tight budget which ob knew and only had 24hrs in hospital as I had no medical insurance, so he was doing it more for me than him) second time I had medical insurance and I had an epidural and I was asked because ob said the epi can slow things a bit would I like it or not, I was worried my labour might stall a bit again especially with the epi so I said ok. But I didnt HAVE to have it either time, labour would have started up again on its own I am sure, it would just have taken a bit longer is all.

I was given it during the pushing atage cos ds went into distress and the dr wanted my contractions to come harder and faster I wasn't asked or consulted

NEVER heard this. Sounds completely crazy. I've had two babies and never had a shot of anything!

I've never heard that either. My son was in distress after going into labour naturally and the only thing I recall the doctor doing to speed things up was to manually break my waters. I do remember her being impressed and surprised at how fast I was dilating on my own especially since my contractions never fully regulated (my body likes to do things its own way, I suppose).

I did end up needing the emergency section and it was so sudden that one second they're telling me to push with all my might and the next they were yelling at me to stop (not meanly, it was just very serious) and I had to be put under because there was no time for a spinal or epi. So I don't know what sort of drugs they gave me while closing me up to get the bleeding to stop.

I'm going for my VBAC as well and our hospital will induce me if necessary. I'm scared they'll use pictocin because it's supposed to increase the risk of uterine rupture. But my OB says she won't induce me until 42 weeks and as I went into natural labour at 40+4 with DS she doesn't think it will be an issue.

a damn effin lie! i'd look for another OB/GYN seriously. and are you by any chance in the USA?

Nope I've never had it. Induced with first and didn't have pitocin... Ended in emcs but I was already fully dilated. Second was vbac. Spontaneous 4 hour labour born vaginally with no pitocin.
O think some doctors use it to speed up labour. In UK it's not a common thing.... Only if required.

Absolute BS, if every woman he treats is having pitocin it's because of the consultant not labouring women, how the hell would the human race exist if that was the case (my anger is towards the medical "professional" who said this, not you OP :flower:)

That kind of crap is not spouted out in the UK.

I actually don't know anybody in my family that have had it, I had 2 natural labours, my mum had 2 without, my aunties all had their kids without it, my MIL has 4 kids I know 3 wouldn't have had it, not sure about the 4th as I know she was a c section.

Obviously rubbish, OP, as you've spotted. I had no pitocin. It is often used to expel the placenta, but I didn't have that either, and it isn't necessary. If all an OB's patients are having any given intervention, the problem is with the OB, not the patients' ability to labour and give birth.

I find it really worrying how many people on this thread have had a medical intervention without their consent being sought. Horrifying. You should be informed of the benefits and risks and asked for your consent. :growlmad::nope:

That's silly and also completely factually inaccurate. In fact, 60% of labours in the UK are spontaneous (meaning not induced) and probably a significant portion of the remaining 40% are induced for non-medical reasons. I had a completely natural labour and home birth, 12 hours from no contractions but waters breaking to giving birth, with no intervention other than one VE and occasional heart rate monitoring with a doppler. It's attitudes like that from midwives and OBs (some of whom may not see many normal births anyway because they are too quick to intervene before it's needed) that perpetuate the myth that all birth is pathological and needs intervention. Unfortunately, we have a culture where intervention is provided as standard, and often that intervention slows labour because women get nervous, feel watched or poked and proded, don't have privacy and can't relax, which means they are more likely to need induction or augmentation of labour (with Pitocin or other drugs). We also have a culture that is very focused on time with birth, i.e. that a healthy birth should take no longer than X hours. Because of that obsession with time, women tend to get pushed into intervention because they are 'taking too long' or 'failing to progress' even though everything is fine. I pushed for 4 hours. If I'd been in a hospital, someone surely would have freaked out and said that I was 'failing to progress' and needed forceps or a c-section. But we just needed to relax and be patient. I felt fine, baby was doing fine, and I had her when she was ready to be born.

Have you read at all about the practice of 'pit to distress'? It's fascinating and disturbing reading if you haven't. It's essentially the practice (largely in the U.S.) of intentionally using Pitocin to cause fetal distress in order to shorten birth by encouraging a c-section. It's not an official medical practice that any midwife or OB would admit to doing (though you'll see in the blog post below that it is cited as an obstetric technique in a nursing textbook!), but it's widely known about in obstetrics and many doctors do it, particularly when women are being particularly 'difficult' or resistant to further intervention. I have 2 friends in the U.S. who believe it was done to them, both hemorrhaged badly because they were given too much Pitocin and nearly died as a result. One almost needed a hysterectomy after her first baby.

https://theunnecesarean.com/blog/20...-emergency-cesarean.html#sthash.9Ya6vSVa.dpbs

This is actually a blog written by an L&D nurse about how she's seen it applied in her own clinical experience: https://nursingbirth.com/2009/07/08/“pit-to-distress”-a-disturbing-reality/

i think in the USA the docs and hospitals are generally looking for more interventions so that the hospitals would make more money out of it. and it is scary how often people are pushed into things just because they feel vulnerable and lack proper support and just want the "best" for their baby. i find it horrible to push medical interventions on people by scaring them that this or that might happen to their baby if they don't comply.

I don't know what it was they gave me but they did inject me without asking after I delivers my son, she said it was so I carried on contracting to get placenta out?? I didn't see her do it nor did she :-0

What on earth? I'm in the UK, had my babies with no drugs,how crazy I must be lol.

Don't take anything you don't want and both let them bully you when you're in labor. Have someone with you that knows your wishes and will speak up for you.

No definitely not. I think the USA try to make labour as medical as possible in the UK if you were already in labour I can't imagine them ever giving you any form of pitocin unless you've been in really slow labour for days and days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->