all you cake experts!! I need you!!

pinky1987

My very own little E.T!!
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I love making cakes but im not that good at it, look a mess but taste good! Anyway, I need some help with something I really want to do for my dad and stepmum.

My Dad has just been made redundant from the R.A.F after nearly 35yrs of service! My dad and ace stepmum have decided to go travelling for a year or so to Spain,Greece,France, Portugal and italy!! basically working for food and accom, but....... They are planning on doin it in their big yellow van!!! hehehe!!! My dad is a pretty hip guy, doesnt act 50yrs old!! They call themselves 'modern day hippi's!!' hehehe, i love them!! they have done an awful lot for me and OH and I want to give them a little token of appreciation! Even if the cake i make is CRAP, i know they will still love it and praise like mad!!!

They are coming to stay with us on saturday for the week then leave next saturday on the ferry to europe and then we wont see them for quite awhile!! :cry:

Si, i want to make them a cake of the 'love bus' (thats what they call the van) with two little figures of them holding a banner saying "bon-voyage!!"

Just asking if any of you guys have made anything similar and could email me a pic so i could go off that (cheeky i know), i need something simple as i am no craftswomen!

I want it in 3layers, just going to ude normal vanilla sponge with jam and buttercream, want to cover it in fondant, but i just dont have a clue on what kind of fondant, tools, glue?? what they hell do i need???

please help me ladies i really want to do this for them!

Here is a pick of there van!!!! aka the 'love bus'!!

Attachments

• dads van.jpg
    dads van.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 3
Oh your dad sounds like fun and your stepmum too! I dont have any experience in cake making only cupcakes but you can ask some of the ladies over at cake making thread, they should be able to help you.

As for figurines if your not great at making them you can buy them.

Hope this helps

Here is the link

https://www.babyandbump.com/cooking-baking/131879-cake-making-baking-group.html

my advice is bake 3 rectangle sponges stack them up and stick together with butter cream carve the van shape then smother in buttercream to make it all smooth then put on the fondant this is tricky and maybe best doing it in 2 parts.The windows you can use fonadant and special edible pens to highlight.As for figures buy them : )

this clip is an idea but you tube have great videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ocZODwyiY&feature=related

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"