Am i being unreasonable?

RachA

Reaction score
On Boxing Day we went to my OH's parents for dinner and to open the presents from them and my sil.

Once we'd opened them all up MIL said to us that they hadn't got us a present as they were going to give us some money to get a new bath and basin for our bathroom.

A very generous offer that in the future (maybe 5 years time) i would love to take them up on. However my mum and i spent about 12 hours tiling the bathroom about 6 months ago and to put in the new bath and basin would mean the tiles we'd put on would have to be removed thus making our efforts pointless. My MIL knows that my mum and i did all this work.

Am i being unreasonable to ask my OH to say thanks very much for the money to do the bathroom with however we'd like to use it for something else (either to put towards doing our kitchen which is bout 50 years old! or to do a decking area in our garden)? They haven't actually given us the money yet so i've no idea how much they are thinking (probably no more than £200 though)

You dont necessarily need to remove the tiles to put a new bath and sink in. My friend kept her tiles as they looked fairly new and just changed the bath and sink.

But if you really dont want to do it then just explain to them the reasons why. I am sure they will understand.

are you sure that they never made the offer knowing that you wouldn't be taking them up on it for a while?

No and if theyre alright people im sure theyll will prefer it going to something you would like more

lol @ them giving you a gift of money.. and telling you what to spend it on! odd!

I don't see why they'd mind you spending it on something else around the house, it's up to you what you do with it! If you appreciate the gift and do something nice with it in kitchen/garden/wherever I can't see the problem x

You dont necessarily need to remove the tiles to put a new bath and sink in. My friend kept her tiles as they looked fairly new and just changed the bath and sink.

But if you really dont want to do it then just explain to them the reasons why. I am sure they will understand.

Thanks. We have already checked as in laws had offered their old bathroom suite and because our suite is really old the dimensions just wouldnt work to do that unfortunately.

Why did they think you would be planning a new bathroom after you'd just retiled? How random!

are you sure that they never made the offer knowing that you wouldn't be taking them up on it for a while?

No-it came across as if they thought we could get something in the sales so it'd be a soonish thing.

lol @ them giving you a gift of money.. and telling you what to spend it on! odd!

Yeah I know-they always do that. And they always keep hold of the money until we've actually spent the money and then they give it to us. I never understand that as we aren't people who just spend money that's in our account so they're making sure we actually spend it in something proper lol

I don't see why they'd mind you spending it on something else around the house, it's up to you what you do with it! If you appreciate the gift and do something nice with it in kitchen/garden/wherever I can't see the problem x

Thanks all. We do really appreciate the money but want to use it for something that really needs doing sooner rather than later. I just thought it might sounds ungrateful for us to say this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->