Am I doing something wrong?

history_girls

Mummy to 2 Girlies
Reaction score
I know we are at the very begining of our breastfeeding but I really need some help after last night.

First night in hospital and during the day I was feeling so confident with breastfeeding having FF my first. Yes she takes a while to feed but she took each breast and latched well I think.

Then last night she fed constantly between 10.30 and 4.30am - all the time on the boob. She never let go - I had to make her swtich boobs as she would just suck away on which ever one she had. I even tried to get her daddy to wind her and put her down in her crib rather than me but she would root on him and smack her lips together.

Finally at 4.30 she burbed, sicked a little and has been asleep since 5am. So I've slept an hour before the 3 year old is up :cry: I can't do another night of that - or is that what it is like at the start? OH is talking about formula because it upsets him that I am so tired and upset that we are finding this so hard.

Are we doing it right? Any tips?

Yeah, sounds like everything is normal. You aren't doing anything wrong. Newborn can cluster feed, I remember getting no sleep in the hospital as he wanted to suck all night. He would sleep in the early morning but by then everyone started coming and going so no sleep. Is your husband taking some time off? If he is, ask him to look after your toddler while you sleep with baby. Unfortunately, it's how it works, after a few weeks, baby will space out the feeds and it will get much better.

You can also also try to make baby understand day and night by making night time quiet and dark and keeping day time activities as normal.

Congratulations on your new baby!

It's entirely normal!

Those feeds in the first couple of weeks are essential to establish your milk supply, it is tiring sadly, but it does get easier, hang in there xxx

No, it's not because you're doing something wrong. That sounds exactly like my first two nights with my second son! He ate and slept really well the first night and then the second night we were up together for three or four hour stretches where he just ate and ate and ate.

Hang in there! It'll get better! (And then it might get bad again for a while, but then it'll get better, and then it might.... Oh, you get the idea. Hang in there!) :)

hang in there!

nothing is wrong! your baby is establishing your supply.

you're doing great, mama :)

The more you do now, the more time you can give LO on the boob, the easier it will be later as LO will tell your boobs what she needs and you won't have to worry about supply :) So if your OH is off work for a bit, get him to spend some quality time with your older LO and get as much sleep as you can during the day, or just rest. Get him to take the baby for a bit between feeds too so you're not listening for whimpers - he can bring her to you if she needs feeding.

Have you considered co-sleeping? Perhaps Google for how to do it safely and how to feed LO lying down... even if you just watch TV lying down feeding, it's rest.

Thanks for this ladies - all my support here says FF instead as you see if they are really eating or using me as a comfort. I am gearing up for the night with the attitude of just getting through it - but without formula or huge screaming. The midwife said 6 hours was a bit much for cluster feeding and perhaps after 4 hours of feeding see if she will settle after a cry and a shout.

We will get there!! hopefully.....

I just spoke with a friend who has a 3 week old, and she said he did the same thing the first night - non stop wanting to eat. She finally gave him a pacifier and he went to sleep! Seems to me that if you want to see if baby is actually eating or just using you for comfort, that you should try a pacifier first before trying to FF. Just a thought.

Sounds like you've got the right attitude about it, though. You will get there! :)

Sounds completely normal.

Night time feeding is the best for bringing in milk and cluster feeding for a good supply....sounds like your LO knows exactly what to do!

Also what Harley said....I gave Millie as dummy at two days old (NOT recommended but to hell with 'guidelines'!) I NEEDED to eat or shower or just breath by myself and she fell asleep within minutes and slept for 2 hours. She's a real big comfort sucker so a dummy has really saved me!

My LO was exactly like this and I wish someone had told me it was normal! Don't fall into the FF trap!

I remember my boy being latched from 8pm-4am non-stop one night and then 11pm-5am the next night :( it was awfully tiring! But when my milk came in, damn, it came in good!

My lactation consultant said that anything after 15 minutes each side, is for comfort. If you feel ok with it, you could try a pacifier.

Thanks for all of this - we are getting there. My milk came in yesterday and already she feeds a bit quicker. I think I've worked out the difference between hungry sucking and comfort. I've been taking her off when she has comfort suck for a while and onyl put her back if she really protests and claims to be starving.

It was only 4 hours of on / off feeding last night which is an improvement and I can cope with that!

Awesome! Glad you guys are getting there and that you're managing the lack of sleep in the meantime. :) Way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->