am i spending to much ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've gone over my £300 each budget for the big 3. I think I managed to stick to the £150 for the youngest. I say if you can afford it and you want to spend it then do. DH and I will also have about £200 each to spend on each other. We don't spend as much on family though. I'd love to but DH says no.

We only tend to spend between £5 (nieces and nephews as that's what we all agreed due to the amount of children there is) and £50 (parents) hubby and I spend around £150-£200 on each other, then we've spent around £350 on the kids. We are doing London next month though so I'm sure that will rise x

Personally yes that does seem like a lot of money but I guess if you earn lots and that is how you want to spend it then that is fine. We are aiming for £100 for each of ours and are way under for ds2 but honestly would struggle to spend (and store!) much more.

Thing is the cost does creep up with the rising expenses and more expensive tastes of growing children. I've found each year more expensive for each child. And for an 8 year old you can easily spend £200 and only have 5 items. Or if they want a tablet, £150 for 1 item.

We only have one DS (hope it may be 2 by next Christmas) and have probably spent approx £300. He has around 20 gifts and ill then do a small stocking and christmas eve bag. I dont look too much at the cost as long as we dont get into any debt paying for it. The look on his face on christmas day will be priceless and worth every penny x

My mum is always going on about how much we've spent on lo.
We have the money so what's the big deal?
I say if your happy with it then fine.

Personally I don't think I would spend that much BUT saying that LO will be 20 months at Christmas so we've not got her stuff like consoles etc....when she is older who knows.

If you can do it without difficulty then why not.

Oh and defo treat yourself ; )

500 each on 4 children and 300 on the 2 youngest so 2600 in total am i spoiling them.

they are getting things like ps4 , gaming pc , xbox , ds3d ect ect and other bits.

my daughters friend is only getting 100.
Am i going over the top i always spend around this amount and about 200 on myself and 200 on husband and family get about 50 each

how much is everyone else spending :thumbup:

Personally, if I had £2600 spare each year I'd not spend it on Christmas, I'd put a lot of it into savings for them when they're older, as I don't think a child who has £100 spent on their presents has less joy at Christmas than one who has 5x that spent on them, and I know there are things that will in the future make my LO more happy to have like a car or the start of a house deposit or uni fees paid. But everyone has different priorities (DH and I are both savers not spenders!) and I guess you've probably got a savings pot for each child already covering uni fees etc if you are such high earners, so perhaps not relevant.

To answer your other question, we spend about £50 on LO. Gone over this year to about £60-something as spotted something else he'd love at a great price, but I wouldn't ever spend more than maybe £100 on a LO his age (3). As he gets older that may go up but not to more than £200-£250 I reckon. We try very hard to make presents a fairly small part of the Christmas season and my sister and I never had more than about £50 each for Christmas and my Christmas memories are all very happy. All our spare money is going into savings atm for a house deposit as we're jumping up the ladder in the next year, and he wouldn't get any more joy out of twice as many presents than he'll get out of the ones he's been bought. The other thing is, I have no idea where we'd put many more toys!

I think if you can afford it go for it

500 each on 4 children and 300 on the 2 youngest so 2600 in total am i spoiling them.

they are getting things like ps4 , gaming pc , xbox , ds3d ect ect and other bits.

my daughters friend is only getting 100.
Am i going over the top i always spend around this amount and about 200 on myself and 200 on husband and family get about 50 each

how much is everyone else spending :thumbup:

Personally, if I had £2600 spare each year I'd not spend it on Christmas, I'd put a lot of it into savings for them when they're older, as I don't think a child who has £100 spent on their presents has less joy at Christmas than one who has 5x that spent on them, and I know there are things that will in the future make my LO more happy to have like a car or the start of a house deposit or uni fees paid. But everyone has different priorities (DH and I are both savers not spenders!) and I guess you've probably got a savings pot for each child already covering uni fees etc if you are such high earners, so perhaps not relevant.

To answer your other question, we spend about £50 on LO. Gone over this year to about £60-something as spotted something else he'd love at a great price, but I wouldn't ever spend more than maybe £100 on a LO his age (3). As he gets older that may go up but not to more than £200-£250 I reckon. We try very hard to make presents a fairly small part of the Christmas season and my sister and I never had more than about £50 each for Christmas and my Christmas memories are all very happy. All our spare money is going into savings atm for a house deposit as we're jumping up the ladder in the next year, and he wouldn't get any more joy out of twice as many presents than he'll get out of the ones he's been bought. The other thing is, I have no idea where we'd put many more toys!

I try to save more but I'm hopeless with savings lol, we split the child benefit between the children and that's it, from January I'm going to start saving more though as hubbies wage goes up x

I dont think it matters. £5 or £500 to see them happy but personally I try and find cheaper things that bring same happiness.

I think it's up to you how much you want to spend on your children, it's not really anybody else's business. I personally wouldn't spend £500 on each of my children, mainly because I don't have the room for £500 worth of toys each :lol: but that's just me personally.

If you can afford and are happy its fine. I wouldent spend that much personally. We spent around £100 each on my 2, we try to put more savings away. It may go up when older and technology is expensive but my daughter this morning was playing with bananas from fruit bowl making them talk to each other so she doesn't need expensive bits yet lol

If you can afford it then go for it xx i dont have that sort of money so it seems a lot to me!

I think it's up to you how much you want to spend on your children, it's not really anybody else's business. I personally wouldn't spend £500 on each of my children, mainly because I don't have the room for £500 worth of toys each :lol: but that's just me personally.

Same here, lol! I can't imagine where I'd put that amount of toys, the house is already a wreck with the massive amounts of toys.

OP, if you can afford it and prefer to spend that much, that is entirely your prerogative. It's not for anyone to tell you how much or how little to spend on your Christmas, but for you and your DH to decide according to your budget.

Only thing that stuck out to me was 3 different gaming systems? I'll be honest, that does seem a lot to me in one year. I realize their are 6 kids to buy for, but it still seems a lot to be buying 3 different systems that cost hundreds each. Growing up, we got gaming systems as a family, and then games individually for the system. But again, this is up to your budget, and not for us to tell you how to spend your money.

I personally think it is too much, mainly because at my childrens age £500 worth of toys would probably be my entire living room.
I think as they get older its more esily done - xbox, couple of games, designer jumper, before you know it your in the hundreds and have a small bundle

I think it is up to each person how much they spend.

Each to there own I say :thumbup:
But personally I get a bigger buzz out of spoiling my kids at xmas but coming in wayyy under budget!! Lol :happydance:

I can't get over how much people spend. I don't spend anything like that, but not because I can't afford to, I just think there are such better things that money could be spent on. However, saying that, we have had 5 holidays this year, so maybe some people would think that is over the top. I guess we all spend our money on different things.

I don't think there is anything wrong with treating yourself, I guess, I just find it funny you refer to it a christmas present. I mean, do you wrap it and put it under the tree?
Surely you do get presents at christmas too though? Your OH and older kids get you something right? You obviously put alot of work into their christmas, I hope they treat you too?

^^ We are the same as you lol we are going on two holidays in Dec! and have already been on 2 this year lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"