am i spending to much ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the amount of kids you have i don't think it is too much, i onLy have three and when i am done, probably have spent about $1500 even though i said i wasn't going too mad this yr lol that is including the money we get from relatives for them though.
And they don't get anything through the yr other than birthdays!

I can't get over how much people spend. I don't spend anything like that, but not because I can't afford to, I just think there are such better things that money could be spent on. However, saying that, we have had 5 holidays this year, so maybe some people would think that is over the top. I guess we all spend our money on different things.

I don't think there is anything wrong with treating yourself, I guess, I just find it funny you refer to it a christmas present. I mean, do you wrap it and put it under the tree?
Surely you do get presents at christmas too though? Your OH and older kids get you something right? You obviously put alot of work into their christmas, I hope they treat you too?

^^ We are the same as you lol we are going on two holidays in Dec! and have already been on 2 this year lol

I love getting away, for us its just such quality time together as a family. When I'm at home there are always jobs to be done. I love new experiences too.

I can't get over how much people spend. I don't spend anything like that, but not because I can't afford to, I just think there are such better things that money could be spent on. However, saying that, we have had 5 holidays this year, so maybe some people would think that is over the top. I guess we all spend our money on different things.

I don't think there is anything wrong with treating yourself, I guess, I just find it funny you refer to it a christmas present. I mean, do you wrap it and put it under the tree?
Surely you do get presents at christmas too though? Your OH and older kids get you something right? You obviously put alot of work into their christmas, I hope they treat you too?

^^ We are the same as you lol we are going on two holidays in Dec! and have already been on 2 this year lol

I love getting away, for us its just such quality time together as a family. When I'm at home there are always jobs to be done. I love new experiences too.

This is exactly why we do it too :) my OH is a lecturer so even when he is home he's got planning and marking to do so we do like to get away for some family time

Our kids are active kids and don't really play with toys that much. They are getting less this year so that we can afford a new years party holiday starting the day after boxing day. They still have presents just not as many but they won't mind as they love going away :)

It is ALOT of money but it's not any of our business how much you spend on your kids, or your finances. To be honest, I'm not even sure why you'd ask :shrug: if you're happy with it and can afford it then that's all that matters.

I think it's a lot of money but I can see how it's easily done with older children. Dreading it when I've got 3 teenagers! I would struggle to spend that amount on my girls I've probably spent £400 on all of them. As long as they appreciate it then it's fine.

Personally I think it's a lot. I wouldn't be buying 3 gaming systems lots of games are 2 player so surely 1 system to share with individual games makes more sense not to mention they'd end up with more games for the one system.

I'm not fortunate enough to have more than one child, some things in life you just can't buy, I have kept the best of DSs toys and baby 2 will not need as many things as DS had. So it's it will not get as much spent on it as DS did at the same age. Things like the big gifts DS got in previous years wheelie bug, kitchen, train Table. No chance those will be replaced or duplicated for another child.

The other thing to consider is the amount spent at birthdays and what extended family spend too. Storage space and how grateful they are for it. I wouldn't be spending for the sake of spending to bulk piles out or they'd be bulked out with clothes and other things they need rather than want.

Hmm don't like these kinds of threads. You come across a little braggy and so what if your poor friend *only* spends 100£? You spend what budgets allow...

I don't think it was meant like that, like she only spends 100 but look how much I can spend. But rather is 500 too much if someone else can do it on 100.
A few weeks ago we had loads of "what's your budget" posts and we always "is this enough" posts. And quite often on the posts asking if they've got enough people will say how lucky the kids are the fact that they have more than their kid. Its no different from this except the wording.

I don't think it was meant like that, like she only spends 100 but look how much I can spend. But rather is 500 too much if someone else can do it on 100.
A few weeks ago we had loads of "what's your budget" posts and we always "is this enough" posts. And quite often on the posts asking if they've got enough people will say how lucky the kids are the fact that they have more than their kid. Its no different from this except the wording.

I didn't think it was bragging either, just a genuine question. And it IS super easy to get to that kind of spending with older kids, when their lists include electronics and brand name clothing. I remember what types of things I asked for as an older kid/teen, and it easily could be $500 for a handful of items. But I also didn't get those types of things throughout the year, so that was the one time throughout the year when my mom would try to get them for us. It's easier to think its a lot of money when you have little kids and items are relatively cheap in comparison. Yes, it sounds a lot to me, but I also am not at the point where my kids are asking for items that cost over $100 each. I'm sure that will happen eventually.

I'm sure it wasn't intended in a bragging way but I think people should be mindful that there are others who don't have that kind of money available to them or space to store such a huge amount of toys. My mum used to spend £500 on each of us at Christmas and to be honest I can't remember many of the presents I received, what I do remember is the family time. All I'm trying to say, is that to those who can't afford to spend so much money it won't matter one bit to your children. Children are far less materialistic than adults are, children remember the traditions and the fun :)

If you can afford it, want to spend it and enjoy it, why the hell not? Do it. Only you know your finances. I've spent around 200 each on the kids, which i thought was a lot really but we started early buying so i'm really pleased with what they have.

Around 200 each, maybe under. I love a bargain though! If you are completely happy with your budget then fair play thats all that matters? People will ALWAYS have something to say, I remember posting my "Santa's Been!" picture on facebook last year and had a really nasty comment about my spoilt kids and that my gifts were "way over the top", little did they know 39 of those presents were BOOKS (thanks bargain thread ;)) that i had wrapped individually because im crazy lol

I did a 500 budget for DS and 300 for DD last year, went a bit over on DS but stuck to DD's. DD's looked like the perfect amount but DS' actually bothered me a bit when I saw it with all the other presents, I think it was too much, I actually felt a bit embarassed. But they get loads from family so I think it was the combined effect.

If I had 6 I personally couldn't afford to keep the budgets the same, or fit all the things in the house lol, but if you can and you're happy with it on Christmas day then stick with it.

This year I planned on sticking to £300 for each of them (minus the survey vouchers used towards them) and again DD is on track with £70 left to spend while DS is £70 over, even after using £150ish of survey vouchers on DS' presents so somehow he's got nearly £500 worth again :dohh:

If it looks to much I won't give him it all this time, but it's mostly more expensive small items like PS4 games.

DS isn't spoiled or ungrateful and does understand that he has to behave immaculately to get all the presents he gets, but he has two cousins the same age, one gets more than him and the other gets £150, and the one who gets £150 is just the loveliest most grateful wee boy ever, he appreciates everything he gets and understands the value of money. I wish I had the willpower to stick to a better budget because it clearly works wonders!

:flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back