Am I the only nutter at nap time.

Weezie123

Reaction score
Please say I'm not the only one who stays with baby during nap time and offers the breast to get their baby back to sleep. My baby is terrible at napping and it made him so miserable even though he tried to laugh through the groans. I've noticed if I stay with him and offer the nipple when he jerks awake he has 2 hours rather than 20 minutes. He won't take a dummy, which secretly pleased me! I know a dummy is more socially acceptable than this practice so wouldn't confess to friends and family but there has to be benefits for my baby and he obviously needs it?

I'm sure I should be sectioned!:baby:

No you're not a nutter; I used to do this a lot with LO though these days sadly once hes awake hes awake; boob or no boob! xx

ETA: btw dummies were invented to mimick mums comfort feeding their baby at nap and sleep times; its the boobies that came first :D

Thanks for the reply. I'm really pleased I discovered it as it makes it sooooo much easier to keep him happy! Clever mother nature. This obsession we have with putting our babies in a crib in a separate room can really put pressure on a mum who doesn't want to let their baby moan or cry. I'm learning to not be so keen to put him down so I can do chores but entertain him by letting him watch me do them when he's awake!

Long live the sleepy boob, so sad that it doesn't work for long then if you can't use it anymore!

I did this with my 2nd dd. She wouldnt take a pacifier so she would just stay on the breast through naps. I wish my new baby would do it actually. She only takes what she wants and not any longer because I have an over supply. Luckily it should mellow out soon so she can use me as a pacifier more often. Right now she uses a pacifier when she just wants comfort sucking

I do this!! I use it as my 'me time' too. I lie with my lo and he will nap and I will read and when he starts to stir I pop boob in and he has a couple of sucks then stays asleep :)

I actually think most breast feeders do this....i certainly do! The midwife at the hospital actually told me off for this by asking - is he still feeding? She checked and said no, he's just using you as a dummy and lifted him off! I put him back when she left - he wasn't using me as a dummy, he was using my boob as a boob!! xxx

I feel so much guilt for "letting my baby use me as a dummy" but this thread has made me feel better. It feels so natural to do this and its just society has made us believe that we're 'spoiling' our babies. Why should I be any more ashamed to let my baby comfort suck than I would be giving him a dummy?

I still do this for naps and while co-sleeping at night! It's the only way to get more than 20 minutes at a time out of him!!

I do this!! I use it as my 'me time' too. I lie with my lo and he will nap and I will read and when he starts to stir I pop boob in and he has a couple of sucks then stays asleep :)

Wow! You've given me an amazing idea! Reading? Why not? I guess I'm afraid of moving so as not to wake her up.

Don't worry Weezie, we're on the same boat. I do the same with DD. :baby:

Me too! My youngest is 7 months so if my eldest is at nursery I spend as many nap times as poss lying on bed keeping her asleep with boob while I read or if eldest is home I just do this whilst she has her nap. Its a sanity saver as gets LO the proper sleep she needs not the stupidly short catnap she tries for!!!

Don't feel bad ladies, nature gave you these secret baby weapons for a reason :thumbup: and in some cultures its normal for the men to allow baby to comfort suck on their nipples to pacify them! My OH said his boobs are not ever to be used in this way and sometimes gets scared when cuddling LO in bed if he's barechested :rofl:

I'm doing this right now! Lol.. It's bedtime, but I also do this during the day.
And I know what you mean about not telling people, I keep it to myself, I get enough flak for feeding on demand as it is..

My DD does this too. Sometimes she wants me to stay with her and other times she will just nap WAAAY longer if I lay with her until she's asleep. And then there are the times where she shoots awake mid nap and you can see it on ehr face she's still so tired and wants to keep sleeping so BOOBIE TO THE RESCUE!!!! and BAM! Back asleep for another 30 mins at least!

I always said to the HV's;

"No, she's not using me as a dummy; other babies are using a dummy as a boob!"

Oooh, they loved me ;)

me too - at 10 mths! Have been working on getting him in his cot with varying success but recent illness means we nap on our bed and I am next to him on my phone or tablet

I did this for over a year and used that nap time to catch up with my tv shows or watch films lol

I started puting Evie down in our bed for a nap from around 14 months and she naps fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->