am I too young to have a baby?

jayne1991

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently 20 but will be 21 by the time I have a baby as I am turning 21 in a couple of months. I came off the contraceptive injection a couple of months ago now and me and my partner aren't using anything, we are just seeing what happens. However I worry wether I am too young to have a baby?
I am currently studying a 2 year course to become a teaching assistant and my partner (who is 22) is undertaking an apprenticeship at bentley motors, we both live together at my mum and dads and we are recently engaged and saving to buy a house next year (2013). I was just wondering wether I was in a good situation to bring a baby into the world or not?
I believe it is the best time as my course is only once a week in the evening so I have plenty of time (apart from doing my assignments) but I would also get loads of support from my mum who is a housewife.
Let me know what you think :) thanks

hi, no your not too young, its probably the perfect time, i had my son 12 days after turning 21 and i was in college at the time, i managed to finish college, me and my partner were also saving for a house and he works for his dad, well now we have a nice house and a perfect lil family :) good luck to you xx

I don't think it really depends on your age.. more on you as a person, your situation, relationship etc. etc.

Sounds as though it could be a good time for a baby.. although if I were you I might prefer to finish off my course first? And buy a house first? Since you're doing all that soon then it'd just mean waiting a teeny bit longer.

It's up to you though :) xx

Youre definitely not too young. I'm 21 and OH is 24, even my mum thinks it time for us to start having kids lol. It just depends on you as a person. Some of the worst mums are significantly older than us. Age doesn't really play a part once you reach 18ish, you've matured enough and understand responsibilities at this point. Good luck xx

thanks, i really appreciate your opinions, thought i was worryin over nothing :) xxx

If I was you I would wait until 2013 when u have your house and finished college. But thats just me :) x

age is just a number! I'm 22 (will be 23 when/if it happens) & we feel ready.
Good luck xx

No your not as long as that is what you want see me and my husband got married when i was 17 and well we started trying pretty much right away because its what we wanted i knew inside that i was ready to be a mother and he was ready to be a father and if your in the right situation like we were which you sound like you are then i think having a baby is fine, i always wanted to be a at home mother though but thats not for everyone and since your getting a education to be a teacher im guessing you do want to be working

no as i was same age as you when i had my first. however if you feel the need to even ask that question then perhaps deep down you are not ready?!

I was 19 when my first was born and 21 when my second came along. I was also married and in the military. Being a mother is more about maturity and life circumstances than your age. Best wishes hon

As already said by someone - it really doesnt depend on your age, but on how you feel. I had my first daughter when I was 22 and was TTC since 20... It has its pros and cons. But the same with having a baby at 30s... So it is totally up to you ;)

I can honestly say that through planning a wedding and hectic course schedules, buying a house was, by far, the most stressful situation I have went through. I think that best bet would be waiting. You will get a job that will give you maternity leave and then you will financially be better off and then life would be so much easier for you and the baby. However, you know your situation and wants and needs more then I do. I do not think it is a horrible idea but I think you should reach your goals first as my personal opinion. If your goal is to have a baby first go for it! good luck in whatever you decide! Sounds like you are at an exciting point in your life!

Would anyone say that its better to wait until you have a career, or have one before you have a career then you are more willing to give it up for a couple of years and spend time with the baby growing up?! x

I'm around the same age as you hun (turning 21 later this year) and your not too young its totally up to you you can still continue to ntnp as you might not fall straight away, me and my oh have been ntnp since january last year so you could still have time to finish your course and move house before you conceive.

No one can give you a definitive answer but theres no harm in waiting if your not sure :hugs:

Just wanted to mention that i am a teaching assistant and have been for six yers! It is a fantastic job and has fit in beatifully with my childcare!

Good luck in whatever you decide x

I was 12 weeks pregnant on my 21st birthday, so I don't think early 20s is too young at all. Although, as someone else has said - if you have to ask, maybe you're not quite ready. I'd been married 4 months when I got pregnant, and I had a job that paid for my maternity leave (I haven't gone back since having LO, though)

Would anyone say that its better to wait until you have a career, or have one before you have a career then you are more willing to give it up for a couple of years and spend time with the baby growing up?! x

I've decided to put off my career for a few years and have a family first. I'm only 22 now, so I'll be 26 when LO starts school. I don't think that's too old to start my career! I'm doing an OU degree too, so I'll enter the job market as a new graduate when LO is old enough to not need me all day every day. I've got until I'm 65+ to work, but only until 35-40 to have children. I decided to do the one with the shorter time limit first! I understand why you'd want a settled career first, I just personally chose to do it the other way around, given that circumstances meant I could :)

no your not i was 16 when i had my first and its all about the person if you feel old enough mentally and you feel readdy go for it it normal takes time to anyway x

I was 12 weeks pregnant on my 21st birthday, so I don't think early 20s is too young at all. Although, as someone else has said - if you have to ask, maybe you're not quite ready. I'd been married 4 months when I got pregnant, and I had a job that paid for my maternity leave (I haven't gone back since having LO, though)

I've decided to put off my career for a few years and have a family first. I'm only 22 now, so I'll be 26 when LO starts school. I don't think that's too old to start my career! I'm doing an OU degree too, so I'll enter the job market as a new graduate when LO is old enough to not need me all day every day. I've got until I'm 65+ to work, but only until 35-40 to have children. I decided to do the one with the shorter time limit first! I understand why you'd want a settled career first, I just personally chose to do it the other way around, given that circumstances meant I could :)

you have the same sort of view as me why wait when the more you wait the harder it gets to have a child xx

ou is a fantastic way to study! i graduated last year and also worked part time as a teaching assistant. as someone else said very child friendly hours. have just got place doing primary pgce for Sept so can be proper teacher...! if and when i get bfp Will have to decide what to do with course...

Thanks everyone :) I also agree with having a baby first, that's why I wanted to have my baby before I start work late next year after qualifying, so then I can get some part time hours being a teaching assistant and then work up from there when my baby starts getting older. I do think that I am ready I just wanted to know what people thought about having babies in the early 20's as I didn't know what the stereotypes were =S but thanks again xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->