Amber light of doom

summer rain

Mum of 5
Reaction score
Was sitting in my lounge with the pc on (dell, newish model 2 years old) but not actually using it and it suddenly made a whoosh sound and the fan went really loud and the monitor switched off, I thought that's really odd went and checked it and the power button was steady amber and would not switch off. So had to switch off at the wall. Left it for a couple of hours and same problem. Judging from chatter on t'interwebs seems like its a problem with the power supply, CPU or motherboard. It's out of warranty too. Anyone else had this issue and what was the cause and how was it fixed? I'm quite confident the hard drive is completely intact so even if its beyond repair should be able to retrieve the few things we didnt back up of late but really need a working PC for OH to do his accounts etc, also my boys were going to do an online Maths program this year :( xx

Sorry hun I haven't had the same problem but thought I'd bump it to the top for you :)

If ever I have problems with my PC there's a place locally I go to that diagnose it and do any repairs if I need them and they're not too expensive either. Maybe search on the internet see if there's any local to you that might be able to help you? Could be cheaper than buying a new PC and they should give you a quote on how much it would cost.

Hope it's sorted soon I'd be lost without my laptop!x

Do you have another pc in the house hun? I'm at IT forensics and security student. I wouldn't know without looking at your pc. You need to test all of the components which means opening it up, trying different pieces of hardware etc. I never trust pc repair shops after two tried to lie to me about problems - when I knew what the issues were myself as I'd opened my computer!!

Do you have another psu you could try? You need to take off all devices it doesn't need and reboot until it fails :/ if you're an amateur you may need a shop to do this for you x

Thanks. Nope only one PC at home, OH was going to borrow one from his parents place if it was hard to figure out the problem but hes now pretty sure what it is. My OH is a computer buff and used to build computers for people and work for a repair shop so thank God for that, don't trust repair places either. He's opened it all up, looked at it, replaced the small battery that's inside with a new one, tried various things, checked all the components are 'seated' right and all that is ok, it seems it's either the motherboard or CPU that's fried. Most likely the motherboard as apparently this is a very common issue with some Dell models. All fans are working correctly but they seem stuck on the high setting like when the PC is first coming on. The power supply seems fine and the diagnostic led on the back of it is solid green and lit which according to dell means the power supply is working perfectly. He's going to get hold of and try a new motherboard and is hoping it's not the CPU as that will be a lot more costly. Can't afford a brand new PC at the moment though and the PC cost £1300 so it probably will be cheaper to repair xx

My OH had a decent idea... Replace the thermal paste on the CPU. My OH fixed about 6 computers that wouldn't start because of this. Just tell your OH to wipe off the old grease with alcohol wipes, then apply new thermal paste. Costs about £5, worth a shot? x

Update, OH took the pc to a repair place he knows and trusts. The guy said he thinks he may be able to fix it for very cheap but if not he will just give it back to OH without charging him xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->