Amitriptyline and being pregnant

MeaganMackenz

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

I sure am hoping someone out there has been on medication and found out they are pregnant. I take it because I have trouble staying asleep, and occasionally migraines. NOT for the antidepressant quality.

Well a little over a week ago I found out I was pregnant and I have no idea what to do about this medication. I've asked my GP, tried to get ahold of my OB, i've called the pharmacist and our health phone line. Every single one of them said theres no conclusive answer on this medication.

So I thought ok, ill just try coming off it. I stopped talking it and by night 2 of not taking it I got really sick, shaky, heart racing and could NOT sleep. I ended up taking one at around 330am cuz I was wide awake and was not at all close to falling asleep. Now it seems anytime I lye down my heart races and I can't sleep unless I take a full 25mg dose, as i've tried a half does with no avail.

I dont know what to do and I can't see my gp until friday and haven't gotten ahold of my ob. I can't imagine either situation of being on it or not is healthy for me right now. If my body is going through withdrawals and making me sick and sleepless without it but yet there's no conclusive data on what it'll do to the baby i'm fucked either way :(

Anyone been on it during pregnancy?

Hi Hun, I take amytriptaline because I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia...

I have to admit I won't be taking any risks and would rather be in pain then take it because it had unknown properties. Please don't take my word for it... Speak to your doctor and see what he or she says Hun.

Good luck xx

Hey,
I'm in the same boat as you. I have been taking Celexa since February as my GP thought I was suffering from panic attacks and anxiety. I know I have anxiety and celexa I BELIEVE has helped.
I went to my GP and he referred me to an ob/gyn who simply asked me if I felt i needed it. He wanted to do the whole pro/con thing. He said if I stayed on it that I would have to have my baby observed for a while after it was born. So, I decided to taper off of it gradually. What REALLY worries me is the sleeping aid I am on. I've been slowly tapering off of it but it has been tough. I have the same reaction as you. I'm withdrawing and I'm scared it'll affect baby. My doctor says it isn't recommended to take but I have severe insomnia and it's the only thing that gets me up sleep because I am physically dependant to it.

You'll have to get in with your ob gyn to go over the risk factors. I'm going to speak to mine today.

Good luck!

I am on 10mg amitripyline for chronic pain...my GP said if I can do without it to try come off but if its causing my a lot of stress being off it...then maybe the stress might be worse for baby than amitripyline.

Its really up to you...but best to come off it if you can. I have cut my tablets in half (got a tablet cutter on amazon) and am taking 5mg every night for 2 weeks...then I plan to go to alternate nights for another 2 weeks.
Go back to your full dose, get yourself back at baseline and then taper down slowly slowly...

I'm waiting on a call from my ob. I'm sure if I wasn't pregnant I could suck it up and deal with it but all that goes on with not taking it I'm not sure it's a good idea. I can't imagine insomnia, rapid heart beat and throwing up more than I have to is good for the baby. That and the stress of it all.

Not sure about your meds hun apart from those kims of meds shouldnt be just stopped you need to slowly lower dose week by week to stop bad withdrawal symptoms but I did want to say insomnia is a massive pregnancy symptom and very common in first tri...from week 5 to 10 I couldnt sleep night or day was awful but it seems to be wearing of now but not completly its kinda driving me mad as I have 3 kids and a big house to look after and im struggling because so tired...hope ur ob geta back.to u soon with more info try not to stress hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->