Amitriptyline/biliary dyskinesia

M

Mrs Eleflump

Also postged in WTT board, as that's where I spend most of my time here :)

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of amitriptyline? I had a letter from my consultant today suggesting that this is an option for treating the biliary dyskinesia I have just been diagnosed with. I also take buscopan which I'm fine with and he says I should continue that.

(just for a bit of info, biliary dyskinesia is where your gallbladder and biliary system doesn't contract properly so it doesn't empty as it should after eating, and it causes pain under your right ribs, similar to gallstones, but obviously without the stones)

So I looked up amitriptyline and it's a tricyclic antidepressant. I know antidepressants are useful for all sorts of things, not just depression, and this particular one seems to help with my problem. So far, so good.

BUT...last year I had a period of severe anxiety with some depression, brought on by wedding stress, and I was prescribed antidepressants (sertraline, which are SSRIs, not tricyclics) to help with it. They worked, but I got HUGE. I put on two stone, and I've only just got rid of it! I don't want to get huge again!

Does anyone who takes or has taken amitriptyline had weight problems, or any other side-effects? And it's a long-shot as I know it's pretty uncommon, but has anyone here got biliary dyskinesia and would be willing to share their experiences?

I used to take amiltriptyline but one thing you need to ask your dr about -

I took it with Motilliam, Ibroprufen and tramadol. My periods stopped for 7 months. When my Drs finally got round to checking it out they found I had raised prolactin levels which were making me infertile. They thought this was down to amiltriptiline and/or the motillium. I had to stop taking them both and my periods returned to normal.

We still don't know which one of them was causing the raised prolactin, but it was definitely one of them. If you're ttc it might be wise not to take amiltriptiline.

I take amitriptyline to help with my Myalgic Encephalitis, it helps me maintain a regular sleep pattern and also helps with the pain.
I've been prescribed it for about ten months now and have lost weight in that time not gained it.

i take it for my m.e and anixety/ fibro pain its really helped loads im loads more realxed and sleep better and ive not gained any weight x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->