Amoxicillin at 4 weeks

loub127

Reaction score
Has anyone taken amoxicillin in early pregnancy?

I've had the worst cough for about 5 days now so went to see my gp today who prescribed me amoxicillin. He didn't say I had a chest infection but said to take them as I have been producing nasty phlegm when coughing... eww sorry!

I'm just a bit worried about taking them. I'm wondering if I should just hold off another day or 2 and see if I fight whatever it is on my own. I don't seem to have a temperature, just this awful cough that is stopping me from sleeping at night :(

I'm not a doctor, but if your gp knows you're pregnant and they still prescribed the amoxicillin, then I'd have to bet that it's safe for you and the baby. I know they usually won't give anything stronger than the amoxicillin. I had a severe sinus infection and all my doc would give is amoxicillin - took weeks to get rid of it with nothing stronger. But, I also didn't want anything stronger. My baby was born healthy! Good Luck!

Personally, there's no way I would take an antibiotic in pregnancy unless a bacterial infection had been proven by culture and was bad enough to endanger the baby or myself. If I wasn't dangerously ill, I wouldn't risk the antibiotic side effects. It may be safe for baby but it messes with your system and makes you more prone to other infections.

Well that's what I thought. He only listened to my chest but didn't actually make comment about it nor did he say that I actually had a chest infection. He just said seeing my condition and the fact I was coughing mucus up then he'd given them to me.

He said they should be sage but there's always risk involved taking them at such an early stage. They're currently sat in my cupboard not being taken!!!

I just worry that Im going to make the wrong decision. My head keeps saying if I don't take them and it's an infection and it harms the little poppy seed I'll never forgive myself and if I took the pills and it's does harm I'd also never forgive myself!!

I was in your situation at 7 weeks pregnant. I had such a bad cough and like you the doctor prescribed antibiotics. Well as I was worried I didn't take them and ended up in hospital on iv antibiotics and a severe chest infection. The doctor pointed out to me that an infection in the body is more of a risk to baby than the slight risk antibiotics carry. From now on if a doctor tells me I need medication I will listen to them. They wouldn't give you anything that wasn't safe or they think you didn't need. Hope you feel better soon!

I was prescribed Amoxicillin by my gp last week. Same symptoms as you but I had put up with it for 3 weeks and my coughing was so bad at times I could feel strain on my uterus which worried me. I have just finished the weeks course and feel so much better. It is important for your baby that you are as healthy as can be. If the coughing shows no sign of getting better by itself I would suggest taking the prescription. I do understand your concerns though!

Thank you! I'm sure it would probably be fine taking them but I just didn't want to take them unnecessarily.

I feel a little bit better today, but the cough just starts tickling and I cough until my eyes are streaming!! I'm gonna give it one more night, hopefully I'll sleep better tonight if I prop myself up again! X

I took amoxycillin for 10 days at 5-6weeks pregnant. The doctor's advice was that it's better to take what's in a considered safe category of medication now, then to risk it worsening into a severe infection that requires stronger medication. Phlegm usually means bacteria infection rather than a virus (hence the antibiotics), so I personally would go ahead with the medication. Hope you feel better soon!

It is safe to take in pregnancy and generally has little side effects. If your doctor prescribed it based on your phlegm, I would suggest starting it because chest infections can deteriorate very quickly and you may very well end up in the hospital or with pneumonia and end up receiving the more powerful IV antibiotics.

It's better to treat your infection right away then let yourself become very ill this early in pregnancy.

Just my opinion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->