aneamia

nicole_

Aidy's Mummy
Reaction score
how important is it to take the tablets if they think youve developed it?
i know its pretty normal but are the tablets vital?
i got given them a few weeks ago and never bothered taking them
i feel dizzy all the time and headaches are getting worse so maybe i should be taking them :shrug:

they are very important, especially for your baby and when you deliver you are going to be loosing blood your body needs it hun!!

I'm on iron tablets and as Parkep has said, when you give birth you will lose a fair amount of blood, which can cause complications (if you're anemic). My iron tablets are 100mg each and I take one a day.

Honestly I didn't take them, but only b/c I started feeling much more energentic and stopped having dizzy spells. If you still feel that way you should def be taking them!

ive got 210mg to take twice a day, i think i took them for two days and it made me so sick it just put me off and im not fond of tablets anyways lol :(
thanks for the advice, i should probably start taking them then i guess

Ive got 200mg to take 3 times a day !!!

hiya, i've just been out on these today! 100mg 3 x a day.
I had the first one this morning and i felt really sick all afternoon, didn't want to eat my lunch which is very out of character!
Am going to try another one now but if it makes me feel really sick again i won't want to keep them taking them either, if I can't eat i'll be losing all the other nutrients that i need!
fingers crossed we both feel better because we have to take them really x x x

Defo take them, they helped me so much! :) My iron levels have gone back up now and i feel much better :)

Deff take them! I am on a very low dosage compared to the rest I am on 65mg once a day.

Mine seems very high dosage at 200mg 3 times a day = 600mg a day x

You will feel so much better if you take them. I found taking them with food stopped me feeling sick with them. And they really will make your poo very black!

200mg three times a day is quite a lot. That's the dosage I had some years ago when I was very anaemic and it made me soooo sick. The 100mg ones are better but I have started feeling queasy again.

I would recommend getting yourself some spatone instead. You can try for a prescription but most doctors don't seem to do it. It's an iron rich water, you won't have side effects and it's absorbed much more readily than the tablets. Do you know what your iron levels were? I personally don't seem to feel any different anaemic or not but in the case of PPH it's better if mum isn't anaemic. Bear in mind that 50% of pregnant women have low iron, there's a school of thought that it's just a normal part of pregnancy.

I am currently on 210mg three times a day, and I wasnt even anemic, but just low count. If those ones are not working for you, speak to the Dr and see if they will prescribe you ones that wont make you sick.

It is important that you keep your iron levels up, as if not it could lead to constant monitoring and I know my hospital will not let you have a water birth if you are anemic.

I have been on iron tablets for 7 weeks. Just got my new HB and ferritin results today and they have gone up to good levels (ferritin now 26 was 5 which was the main concern). I was prescribed 3 x 210mg a day although to be quite honest I am pretty rubbish about taking them and probably only average 2 a day.

I have seen a reduction in dizzyness breathlessness and restless legs so I am glad I took them. Also as someone else said it means i can now have a water birth.

So yes I would try to get those levels up. If the tablets make you ill ask about spatone.

Take them with some form of Vitamin C orange juice or a pill. Your body absorbs it better. If your getting sick it's very important to talk to your dr instead of just not taking them. There are ones that release slower and don't make you sick.

well just had a call from the doctor and my iron counts even lower now so need to go on something else and a stronger dose because the others were making me sick
oops :(

Seriously get some Spatone. I spend 4 weeks on iron tablets last time and they made not a jot of different. Two weeks on Spatone and I'd gone up about 4 units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->