Anemia/Low Iron

amyclaire

TTC late July 2010 :D
Reaction score
Anyone have really low iron levels?/get really bad restless legs/tiredness/weakness or dizziness??

just wondering, if you're wtt for 2nd or 3rd etc how this can effect conception, pregnancy and birth??.. and then the sleepness nights afterwards..!

xxx

don't know about TTC 2nd or 3rd, but I am WTT for #1 and wonder how my iron level will cope. I constantly stuff with anemia so take multi vitamins with extra iron all the time and i know when pregnant the baby zaps your iron so no doubt i'll have to take higher levels of iron. I get restless legs and also pins and needles in my head which are a real killer, thats when i really know my iron is low, tiredness, weakness and dizzy, gets all of those too but to me thats my normal as my level is alays running low so it actually feels strange to me when i feel full on energy

ooh pins n needles in the head that sounds awful!! i hope its not that bad, i just fall asleep mid afternoon all the time!! going for blood test soon for confirmation!! my anemic friend drinks guinness in the morning - but thats no gd once ttc!!!xxx

I've got a feeling I may be slightly anaemic, I have a horrendous diet and so I wouldn't be surprised and I feel so tired and felt really faint on the weekend. A few other things make me think I might be. But, I am working on the diet and am taking vitamins with iron so hopefully by the time we start, I will have increased my iron levels as I am not sure I could cope otherwise! x

My iron is extremely low and I'm taking 3 iron pills a day as prescribed by my doctor. Iron is really important when pregnant, so if you think you're low in iron, it's probably best to have it checked out. It's just a simple blood test and then the doctor can prescribe iron pills as needed.

I am not sure how it affects fertility, but I do know that it is a common problem during pregnancy because your baby uses up so much iron. So, if you have that problem now, supplementing would probably be a good idea before trying to conceive. Definitely something to speak to a doctor first about though because it is quite easy to overdose on iron.

yeah ive heard its dangerous to take any supplements when theyre not prescribed - so scared about having the blood test though ive never had one before and i have a serious phobia of needles!!! just trying to fill up on the iron rich foods atm...mmm broccoli...xxx

The test isn't that bad. If you're scared of needles though, it will make it a bit more traumatic. My doctor took one vile and had it tested. He was very clear that the iron tablets that he prescribed were to be taken exactly as he said so that I didn't overdose. An iron overdose can be deadly, especially to children. My doctor said it's really important when pregnant because it helps your body carry oxygen to the baby. I'm not sure whether low iron affects fertility, but I wouldn't want to get pregnant knowing that I didn't have enough iron. Having said that though, most women don't have enough iron because we bleed so often.

I was advised by my doctor to take iron tablets as my levels were low I still concieved without a problem (on my 2nd child). I still take the iron as well as folic acid now as I don't take a multivitamin.

I also took a pre-natal vitamin tablet as well (doctor advised it was OK) - not sure what they are called in the UK but just go a chemist. These tablets are for people trying to concieve right through to post pregnancy.

I've had anaemia off and on ever since my ectopic four years ago, I should probably go and get another blood test as I'm feeling really tired at the moment.

I'd try to get your levels up as much as possible before TTC, as pregnancy and birth will make any existing anaemia even worse. If you're not keen on iron tablets, Spatone is fantastic. It's available in most health food shops as little sachets of iron-rich water that can be drunk with orange juice. It doesn't taste too bad, the iron is easily absorbed and it's completely safe to take.

If you're not keen on iron tablets, Spatone is fantastic. It's available in most health food shops as little sachets of iron-rich water that can be drunk with orange juice. It doesn't taste too bad, the iron is easily absorbed and it's completely safe to take.

thankyouuuuuu :) may well get myself some of that :happydance:
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"