Anneke Imogen

DecemberWait

Reaction score
We have chosen the name Anneke Imogen for our daughter and most of my family understands because we are of Dutch heritage but random people have had poor reactions to it - and a lot of trouble pronouncing it. What do you guys think? I try to tell people to think of the e's as a's so it is pronounced "Ann-a-ka"...we have had this name chosen long before I even became pregnant so there is no chance of changing it but I just sort of wanted to see what you all think?

I would have pronounced it Ann-Eck, but once I'd heard how it's actually pronounced I wouldn't get it wrong again. It's a beautiful name, I'm sure once LO is here people will warm to it :)

I knew how to spell it without you describing. Some people will, some people won't but that goes for a lot of names. Once it's explained to them I doubt they'd get it wrong again. It's a beautiful name :)

Honestly I thought it was pronounced like Anna-Key but that's not far off. I would just think about when she is in school and always having to correct teachers and substitutes. But personally I think it's a cute name and wouldn't care what random people say about it!

I went to school with a girl named Anneke but it was pronounced more like On-Ick-Uh, which I think is gorgeous.

I pronounced it wrong in my head like Ah-neck but like pp once I heard it once I wouldn't get it wrong again. It's easy to say. Lovely name x

I knew it was Annuh-kuh because I've studied European languages and I guess I just know that whole Germanic e thing. I don't know what proportion of people wouldn't, but it's a lovely name and not TOO out there even to English monoglots after you've explained. It's not too often a person sees a name before they hear it and it's easily described. I'd stick with it.

Thanks guys as I said I sort of try to just explain to say the e's as a's... my name is Andrea pronounced awndreeuh and I've always had to correct people which can get annoying but hopefully she won't be constantly correcting once people know :)

I assumed you were going for the French pronunciation Ah-NEKE, like Annick.

Beautiful name. I would have pronounced it An-eh-kuh with the stress on the first syllable, so not far off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->