antenatal swimming/sports classes

mightyspu

No life since Aug 2009...
Reaction score
(also posted in Pregnancy club)

arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

I am trying to find a sports class (preferably swimming) in my local area and there are no courses! I can learn to swim (which I did 25 years ago) and that's it! I live in Newbury in West Berkshire and nowhere has a class for pregnant women! Unless I want to go to a private gym and either pay £20 for 30 minutes or £45 a month!

Anyone in the area know of any classes? I want to meet mums to be in my area as well as doing gentle excersise.

Hi and congrats on your bump :flower:

There was NOTHING in my area either - I found one class but a 90 year old with a broken hip could have breezed through it :dohh:

You're best going to a normal aquafit and getting there a bit early to tell the instructor you're pregnant - there were 6 of us at mine by the end pregnant, we just omitted some of the more vigorous stuff but virtually the same.

Maybe look for a pregnancy yoga class to meet mums too? I have met loads since having my LO - he has a better social life than me:blush:

yoga, massage, swimming, club, stay and play club, then meets his little mates in the park twice a week so you will deffo get some mummy mates

HTH :hugs:

thanks, I have limited mobility in my left hip, so have never really got on with yoga, plus I don't want to have to buy all the kit that goes with it and it's too sedate for me. As it is, it's not offered at anywhere other than 1 private gym!

This is really getting on my wick, I have spent 3 hours searching for classes and the best I can find is 45 miles away, near my place of work. I really wanted to find Mums in my area as I moved here 2.5 years ago and know no one!

Can I be rude and ask what your hip condition is? It's just that mine aren't the best :wacko: and I developed really bad SPD during pregnancy (crutches and the works) and pilates actually eased it for a time.

Ring one of the council run leisure centres and see if they can offer any info about classes that may not be particularly well advertised? :shrug:

Pity you aren't nearer or I'd drag you to aqua running :haha:

Are you going to hospital run antenatal stuff - they should have some info or ring your midwives and ask them. If there aren't any classes - demand they start some :thumbup:

Hi

I had the same trouble & I am now doing one in fleet hants (normal aquafit but instructor knows) while looking I did find a few that might be of interest to you as in berkshire (I checked cause I live on hampshire/surrey/berkshire border)

aquanatal at coral reef bracknell saturday mornings 8.30 am! led by midwife ( looks really good)

aquanatal class at the Royal Berkshire Hospital. It costs £5 per session (at the moment Thursdays 5.30 and 6.30pm - they last for 30 -45min and are run by physiotherapist). Speak to Helen on 07736328088 or [email protected]

also found in camberley/ aldershot & other areas but cant find details at mo.

Some of the private gyms do allow yoy to attend there classes so worth phoning to check to see if you have to be a member.

Good luck with your search xx

Thanks all!
pip - not rude at all, I was born with congenitive hip displacement (dislocated hips) and although they no longer pop themselves out of joint, my left leg doesn't bend the way it should. For example, I can't sit cross legged like all children can! I can't lift it as high etc etc. It's not a hideous disability, and I used to do cross country running, but I used to find yoga and dance off putting as I couldn't get into half the positions!

I rang ALL of the council leisure centres and there are gym classes for pregnant women, but again I am put off by by own limited flexibility and gyms have never interested me! there just not social enough.

My antenatal stuff doesnt start until I'm 30 weeks and that's just parent classes. I'll give my mw a call today but I'm not holding out much hope. There seems to be only one pregnancy club in my area and that's a homebirthing support group.

Jane - Thanks, never thought of coral reef! tbh Bracknell and Camberly are a little far for me, I have no problems getting there, but I want to be able to make friends in my area as well. Brackers is 45 minutes away, but at least it's on a day I might be able to get there, a lot of classes are at about 10:30 on a Tuesday or something. Does nobody work anymore? :Shrugg:

The RBH things looks promising, it's where we're planning to give birth and I know Reading well (used to live there)

I also tried private gyms. An example was £20 for 30 minutes, or monthly subs of £45. Not something I am prepared to pay!!

:wacko:
So what you really need is a lottery win :haha: :haha: those prices are ridiculous!!

Could you try to stomach the yoga for a couple of weeks just until you meet

a couple of nearly mummies to make alternative arrangements with? :shrug:

It was alien to me at first as tradiotionally you are colleagues with someone

for hundreds of years before friends but new mums seem to gravitate

towards each other - you just all bounce up to each other at baby massage

demanding phone numbers to text and do park meet ups -:friends: bit odd at

first but thats why I don't want you to worry about not meeting new mummy

friends - you can't avoid it :rofl::rofl:

Jane that was lovely of you to look things up :hugs:

Failing that - pop to aquafit but just let them know - there will probably be a

few of you eventually - good luck :hugs::hugs:

:rofl: yes a lottery win would be fab, then I would start my own aqua natal class and you'll all be flown in by helicopter!

I have no problems stomaching yoga, but my hip will simply not let me! It's going to have to be regular aqua fit, that is if I can get a swimming cossie - the mothercare where I work is tiny so we'll see....

But thanks again ladies you have been very helpful! :hugs:

asda do maternity swimsuits & even with del charge they are a good price. I have found it comfy & as I'm now very large on top it holds me in well for aquafit.:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->